1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Caveman 2 Cosmos (ideas/discussions thread)

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Caveman 2 Cosmos' started by strategyonly, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Septimius

Septimius Chieftain

And Joe has angryism ;)

Joe, can you give us some more details about what the latest SVN actually does? I'd just like to know what I should be on the lookout for. Earlier disease starts, or that they just don't obsolete? Stuff like that...

Trouble is I think I turned on the under development epidemic spread disease thing in my last game and that's it's on by default in my current game, because I haven't even seeing the common cold yet. I've decided to ignore it for now and wait and see what happens with it as I advance through the ages, but is there maybe some way I can switch it back to the standard in game?

2. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

Actually it was not removed but the way it was introduced and built up was. Also the Heavy amounts of crime associated with it were scaled per tourism level. All levels of Tourism do not give +10 Crime any more. That was insane.
    No you actually do give me a headache when I read your posts. And you are Very prolific in your post making. :old:
    I have :old: ism. Which in turn produces less patience, which then produces headaches. And poor Raxo is The Top Headache giver on the Forum right now. Sorry Raxo. And I have asked multiple time fro you to slow down ie. "cool your jets", please.

Yes with the Outbreaks and Afflictions Option On you have completely disabled Disease property. Because the O&A Option is too incomplete to be used. I think T-brd has actually hidden the Option now with any New game started with latest SVN.

There are 16 Individual Diseases. All have Disease entry levels. These levels are when the Disease counter reaches a specific level And the Disease is available by it's prereqTech and/or Pest condition it will be activated. Only Common Cold has no PrereqTech. It's entry level is +25 disease. Com Cold gives -1 :health: or 1 :yuck: and also gives 1 :mad: or unhappiness. Com Cold does not affect Food, Production or Gold.

The next is at +75 disease and that is Scurvy which enters the game Now at Naturopathy tech. It gives 1 :yuck: and 2 :mad: plus -1% to :food: and -2% :hammers: base values.

The rest of the Individual Diseases are scaled from here. With Plague being the worst and it's entry level is +900 Disease and the Tech Sedentary Lifestyle. It gives 10 :yuck:, 10 :mad:, -10% :food:, -12%:hammers:, and -12%:gold:. Yield modifiers are applied to the Base value of all 3 categories; :food::hammers::gold:.

I kept these levels low because they are cumulative , the Higher the Disease level which increases the number of Diseases introduced makes this so. If you have every Disease active with all conditions met (several Pest levels need to be activated which is tied to City Pop levels) your total -% for :food: can reach -75% of your Base :food: value. Total % of :hammers: can reach -97% :hammers: Base level. And Gold (which is more tricky) can reach -70%. But you will probably never see this big of a drop because :gold: relies on much more than :hammers:, trades, Civics, etc.

So as I stated in a previous post actual game play from new games and somewhat from older save games will help in determining if these levels (% penalties) are too light, too heavy, or just right. I can not run enough games myself to say what is the Precise %'s needed. And Raxo you endgame save is really rather skewed for giving any reliable feedback. You had No AI, so your input is skewed accordingly. You need to play a normal game at what ever Handicap, GS, Options used to give reliable feedback Please.

Hope this helps you understand better Septimius. I'm sure I left out something else.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018 at 12:05 PM
    raxo2222 likes this.
  3. tmv

tmv Chieftain

Do you know why archeologists don't use shovels? It would certainly remove the dirt quicker. Or why the "American Revolution" (letting the loyalists emigrate to Canada) was more successful than the French Revolution (off with their heads) in the long run?

There is a more mathematical treatment about these phenomena described at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damping_ratio - what you are asking for (quick and strong "corrections") is the "underdamped case" that is known to produce oscillations that will last a lot longer than anything else - you will get to the finishing line last that way, even if you leave the current (perhaps undesirable) point the fastest.

Edit: The terms "American Revolution" and "loyalists" (for the colonists supporting the British crown) is used in the same manner by Wikipedia.

raxo2222 likes this.
  4. Apani

Apani Chieftain

Tourism IS removed from the prehistoric era. Last time I checked, you needed Sedentary Lifestyle to unlock the first level of tourism.

5. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Just to establish where we are with this, the coding is good but there's no XML design on it yet.

6. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

In worldbuilder you can turn the option off. No diseases will function with it on right now.

7. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

As explained before Tourism points still accumulate (or can be lost) during Preh Era. The entry point for game play for Tourism Levels Starts with Sed Life, in this case Tourism level 1.

Raven Destroyer likes this.
  8. Apani

Apani Chieftain

You can choose to turn neanderthal captives into gatherers, but wouldn't actually be neanderthal gatherers?

9. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Good point. Will take adding a new mission so it's on my shortlist here but I've got a few items of a little more urgency before I can address it. If anyone else wants to address it, I can add the mission to the enums as soon as you have added it to the end (ALWAYS ADD NEW MISSIONS TO THE END AND NEVER DESTROY OLD MISSIONS WITHOUT COORDINATION WITH A DLL PROGRAMMER!) of the missions xmls.

Apani likes this.
  10. strategyonly

strategyonly C2C Supreme Commander

can a python person pls check out the Via Appia , its supposed to give out paved road to each city once built, but as far as i can see it does nothing??

11. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

Are you using my interface modmod, I rewrote the code for what Via Appia does, I tested that it worked but maybe it can fail under other circumstances...

The change I did was that Via Appia sets up a paved road route from the city (A) that is furthest away from the city (APPIA) that built Via Appia to the city (B) that is the furthest away from city "A" while making sure the route goes via the city "APPIA". (B can not be the same city as APPIA)
    It tries to route through many cities along the way but it will also try to make the paved road route go somewhat straight, there is limits to how big the detours for the the route can be, so some cities may not get a paved route.
    I changed it to be like this because it is closer to what Via Appia was in reality and because I think the wonder should become available 5 to 15 techs before workers can build paved roads.

This is a part of the modmod that would have to be discussed closer before integrating it in core C2C.

12. Apani

Apani Chieftain

Ancient forests protect your units from terrain damage. Shouldn't caves do the same?

Also, why can't we turn them into Neanderthal Trackers?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018 at 9:39 AM
  13. strategyonly

strategyonly C2C Supreme Commander

as before, i ONLY use DEFAULT mod, sorry . .

14. Apani

Apani Chieftain

The default threshold for automated hunting is way too low.

It's pretty frustrating to spend 8 turns building a tracker, sending him out to hunt indipendently, and have him die right away attacking a brown bear he had a 51% probability to kill.

The default should be 95%, and that's being generous.

15. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

ATM we as a Team do not recommend using Autohunt. Sorry but it's a Project scheduled for later work. Has been discussed previously too but is probably buried as new threads get started all the time.

16. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

I personally feel the only way it's going to be discussed much further is to include it in the core. Give those of us who mod a chance! If we use modmods we run the risk of really screwing up the SVN so IMO, we should just include it and then it becomes a part of the fabric of the feedback we get and it gets the kinks hammered out and stops confusing debugging efforts that may or may not be because the player was using the modmod. I understand there's some trepidation by DH but I hope you guys can sort that out because the fast track to final perfection on that will only come from including it in the core.

I'd even be willing to wait to let the playtesting find the bugs in it and gives us a little time to sort out any debugging needed before we release v38. But if you insist on waiting, then at least please let's get this in the core so we can get on that for v39 just after release.

17. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

I believe they do, don't they?

Suppose that would be a cool alternative to add as well.

18. Apani

Apani Chieftain

Nope! Just tested.

Another thing... Shouldn't barbarians and neanderthals spawning in taiga regions have adaptation to that climate?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018 at 1:50 PM
  19. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Well they used to so I don't know who changed it or how it was established to be able to deny such damage in the first place so maybe @Dancing Hoskuld or @Toffer90 can find the tag usage to ensure that caves will deny terrain damage and apply it.

Would be good but would also take some interesting coding to achieve it. A good eventual goal to strive for.

20. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

I don't understand this point, I've used modmods consistently for 2 years or so, right now I'm using 3 modmods, and I've never committed anything modmod related to the SVN by accident.