Caveman 2 Cosmos (ideas/discussions thread)

Because the O&A Option is too incomplete to be used.
Just to establish where we are with this, the coding is good but there's no XML design on it yet.

Trouble is I think I turned on the under development epidemic spread disease thing in my last game and that's it's on by default in my current game, because I haven't even seeing the common cold yet. I've decided to ignore it for now and wait and see what happens with it as I advance through the ages, but is there maybe some way I can switch it back to the standard in game?
In worldbuilder you can turn the option off. No diseases will function with it on right now.

Tourism IS removed from the prehistoric era. Last time I checked, you needed Sedentary Lifestyle to unlock the first level of tourism.
As explained before Tourism points still accumulate (or can be lost) during Preh Era. The entry point for game play for Tourism Levels Starts with Sed Life, in this case Tourism level 1.

You can choose to turn neanderthal captives into gatherers, but wouldn't actually be neanderthal gatherers?

You can choose to turn neanderthal captives into gatherers, but wouldn't actually be neanderthal gatherers?
Good point. Will take adding a new mission so it's on my shortlist here but I've got a few items of a little more urgency before I can address it. If anyone else wants to address it, I can add the mission to the enums as soon as you have added it to the end (ALWAYS ADD NEW MISSIONS TO THE END AND NEVER DESTROY OLD MISSIONS WITHOUT COORDINATION WITH A DLL PROGRAMMER!) of the missions xmls.

can a python person pls check out the Via Appia , its supposed to give out paved road to each city once built, but as far as i can see it does nothing??
Are you using my interface modmod, I rewrote the code for what Via Appia does, I tested that it worked but maybe it can fail under other circumstances...

The change I did was that Via Appia sets up a paved road route from the city (A) that is furthest away from the city (APPIA) that built Via Appia to the city (B) that is the furthest away from city "A" while making sure the route goes via the city "APPIA". (B can not be the same city as APPIA)
It tries to route through many cities along the way but it will also try to make the paved road route go somewhat straight, there is limits to how big the detours for the the route can be, so some cities may not get a paved route.
I changed it to be like this because it is closer to what Via Appia was in reality and because I think the wonder should become available 5 to 15 techs before workers can build paved roads.

This is a part of the modmod that would have to be discussed closer before integrating it in core C2C.

Ancient forests protect your units from terrain damage. Shouldn't caves do the same?

Good point. Will take adding a new mission so it's on my shortlist here but I've got a few items of a little more urgency before I can address it. If anyone else wants to address it, I can add the mission to the enums as soon as you have added it to the end (ALWAYS ADD NEW MISSIONS TO THE END AND NEVER DESTROY OLD MISSIONS WITHOUT COORDINATION WITH A DLL PROGRAMMER!) of the missions xmls.

Also, why can't we turn them into Neanderthal Trackers?

Last edited:
The default threshold for automated hunting is way too low.

It's pretty frustrating to spend 8 turns building a tracker, sending him out to hunt indipendently, and have him die right away attacking a brown bear he had a 51% probability to kill.

The default should be 95%, and that's being generous.

The default threshold for automated hunting is way too low.

It's pretty frustrating to spend 8 turns building a tracker, sending him out to hunt indipendently, and have him die right away attacking a brown bear he had a 51% probability to kill.

The default should be 95%, and that's being generous.
ATM we as a Team do not recommend using Autohunt. Sorry but it's a Project scheduled for later work. Has been discussed previously too but is probably buried as new threads get started all the time.

This is a part of the modmod that would have to be discussed closer before integrating it in core C2C.
I personally feel the only way it's going to be discussed much further is to include it in the core. Give those of us who mod a chance! If we use modmods we run the risk of really screwing up the SVN so IMO, we should just include it and then it becomes a part of the fabric of the feedback we get and it gets the kinks hammered out and stops confusing debugging efforts that may or may not be because the player was using the modmod. I understand there's some trepidation by DH but I hope you guys can sort that out because the fast track to final perfection on that will only come from including it in the core.

I'd even be willing to wait to let the playtesting find the bugs in it and gives us a little time to sort out any debugging needed before we release v38. But if you insist on waiting, then at least please let's get this in the core so we can get on that for v39 just after release.

Ancient forests protect your units from terrain damage. Shouldn't caves do the same?
I believe they do, don't they?

Also, why can't we turn them into Neanderthal Trackers?
Suppose that would be a cool alternative to add as well.

Nope! Just tested.
Well they used to so I don't know who changed it or how it was established to be able to deny such damage in the first place so maybe @Dancing Hoskuld or @Toffer90 can find the tag usage to ensure that caves will deny terrain damage and apply it.

Another thing... Shouldn't barbarians and neanderthals spawning in taiga regions have adaptation to that climate?
Would be good but would also take some interesting coding to achieve it. A good eventual goal to strive for.

I don't understand this point, I've used modmods consistently for 2 years or so, right now I'm using 3 modmods, and I've never committed anything modmod related to the SVN by accident.
I've made slight modifications to my own filesets and accidentally committed that and I hate having to dance around and keep in mind any differences in the codeset.

Having to debug games also makes it so that I must have exactly the same settings and fileset in many cases as those games I'm trying to debug. And renaming mod files can become a mess really easily as well, particularly since when you rename the mod file you invalidate the debug dll's ability to attach properly (it must be built on the same mod file name as you intend to attach it to.)

Well they used to so I don't know who changed it or how it was established to be able to deny such damage in the first place so maybe @Dancing Hoskuld or @Toffer90 can find the tag usage to ensure that caves will deny terrain damage and apply it.
Caves never did this, you might be remembering that caves used to negate terrain movement penalties until I convinced you that feature movement penalties should be added to the terrain movement penalty instead of replacing it...
Ancient forest however do protect from terrain damage, I have no idea why this is as there is no tag that allows this functionality.
I've made slight modifications to my own filesets and accidentally committed that and I hate having to dance around and keep in mind any differences in the codeset.

Having to debug games also makes it so that I must have exactly the same settings and fileset in many cases as those games I'm trying to debug. And renaming mod files can become a mess really easily as well, particularly since when you rename the mod file you invalidate the debug dll's ability to attach properly (it must be built on the same mod file name as you intend to attach it to.)
So you play the game from the same folder that you make commits with, this is a bad practice in my opinion. It's not a problem to play directly from an SVN folder but it should then be a non-modder SVN set-up where nodding privileges is blocked.

So you play the game from the same folder that you make commits with, this is a bad practice in my opinion. It's not a problem to play directly from an SVN folder but it should then be a non-modder SVN set-up where nodding privileges is blocked.
For debugging its 100% necessary.
Caves never did this, you might be remembering that caves used to negate terrain movement penalties until I convinced you that feature movement penalties should be added to the terrain movement penalty instead of replacing it...
Ancient forest however do protect from terrain damage, I have no idea why this is as there is no tag that allows this functionality.
I remember specifically that they did. I interacted with that system once and I'll just have to figure out how it's setup to be possible for a feature to have this effect.

Top Bottom