1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Caveman 2 Cosmos

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Caveman 2 Cosmos' started by strategyonly, Aug 25, 2008.

1. ls612

ls612 Deity Moderator

Yes, somewhat. It should have been vastly improved between 25 and 26, but I did some stuff for it as well between 26 and 27. If it persists in V27 please post a save in the bugs/crashes thread so that myself or someone else can debug it.

2. Cosmic Fox

Cosmic Fox Civ 6 Addict - TB Mod Collaborator

I am running Windows 8, I have not had one single issue playing C2C, I had a game going when I upgraded. It loads right up super fast and plays excellent, I use an SSD drive and that helps a lot with this game. :D

Hope everyone can get C2C to work, it is like an expansion not a Mod, it is that good! ;)

I came on here looking for an update, I have more fun playing with the new stuff you guys toss in and exploring and of course empire building then anything else. :lol:

3. Sanguivorant

Sanguivorant Submitter

Hello.
    I got this mod 3 months ago, and I just love the amount of options available in the game. There's so much to manage in the game. Things such as managing crime and pollution levels really make the game complex, which I simply adore. Though games can take long. I started a game on snail last month, and I'm still on 3990 BC. That's most probably because I take a few turns here and there, and don't do a full sitting, but I'd have to say, great job :goodjob:.

Though I do have some minor concerns and questions:

1.) How does the "Advanced Economy" option work? I'm not sure what it is supposed to do.

2.) Resource depletion. Not that I don't like seeing a mammoth in 4000 BC, but how exactly do resources run out?

3.) The amount of religions in the game is interesting, but I suspect a problem where dominant religions are the earlier ones, such as shamanism, druidism, etc, and the rest are just regional, like vanilla civ. I suspect that those early religions have a faster decay rate, because they really were not "organized religions" in a sense, and mostly regional.

4.) I have a feeling that rebel forces are simply too weak. They frequently occur, but get put down a bit too easily, or if they don't, they're usually at the lower end of the scoreboard, possessing one city (That takes ages to grow) and never really posing a threat to anyone else. Though I am playing at Noble difficulty, so that's probably the reason why.

Overall, good job, I'm really enjoying this mod.

4. Hale_9204

Hale_9204 Warlord

1.) this is what Afforess's gametext file says about advanced economy
    Spoiler :

<Tag>TXT_KEY_GAME_OPTION_ADVANCED_ECONOMY</Tag>
    <English>Advanced Economy</English>
    <French>Economie Avancée</French>
    <German>Verbesserte Wirtschaft</German>
    <Italian>Economia avanzata</Italian>
    <Spanish>Advanced Economy</Spanish>
    </TEXT>
    <TEXT>
    <Tag>TXT_KEY_GAME_OPTION_ADVANCED_ECONOMY_HELP</Tag>
    <English>Allows for more in-depth and detialed control of economic factors, especially trade and inflation.</English>
    <French>Permet un contrôle plus détaillé des facteurs économiques, particullièrement des accords d'échanges et de l'inflation.</French>
    <German>Erlaubt eine detailliertere Kontrolle der ökonomischen Faktoren, insbesondere Handel und Inflation.</German>
    <Italian>Permette un controllo più approfondito dei fattori economici, in particolare commercio e inflazione.</Italian>
    <Spanish>Allows for more in-depth and detialed control of economic factors, especially trade and inflation.</Spanish>

2.) basically it works this way: you have a mine with a iron resource, sometimes the iron fades away and the mine is not anymore working (it is substituted by a depleted mine); it somehow balances the effects of resources randomly discovered with mines (i'm not sure if it works only for minerals, or also other resources)

4.)there is a topic about revolutions on the forum
    PS I give you a tip: normally, you have to play C2C 2 levels harder than you play BTS to have almost the same difficulty

5. rightfuture

rightfuture Emperor

The brilliance of Civilization is the dynamic depth of detail, and being able to explore managing a complex civilization across history. I think that as C2C masters the art of helping to group, automate, and manage those details for the player, that those details will enhance and not limit the fun that you can have if organized correctly.
    After all Civ is about you running your own civilization.
    People who complain about too much or not enough can both be bridged and satisfied.

I am all for era selection and game speed being adjusted so you can play a single era, start with a later one, or play a quicker game. (I personally would love to play a year long 50 civ multi-player C2C game on the GEM map with all the best players and modders here and max settings and length, but only gameplay engagement would make this possible and sustainable.)
    This could be great for everyone. Experimentation and play testing would be easier, more people could play it their way, and generally better in my opinion. I hope this idea continues to be explored and debated.

6. rightfuture

rightfuture Emperor

... wouldn't it be nice if Afforess(among others) would stop by here occasionally and share the occasional idea and advice(even if he no longer has the time/desire to mod)? The right person might be able to ask/encourage him/them. Continued vicarious exploration of Civ modding and all, and the ongoing nagging addiction to see Civ made even better. The lure of one more turn/idea! Someone could always ask?(my curiosity itch to inspire the Dream Team and desire to see and play that game. Doesn't yours?)
    Could C2C get even better?
    :)

7. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

Currently only mineral resources are affected by resource depletion. There is an event "Over fishing" for fish resources. Mammoths and Sabretooth Tigers stop spawning around 4,000 BC which is close to when their descendants went extinct on Earth in the far North of Asia. However since we have Alternate Timelines and a mammoth resource you may see battle mammoths in game. Maybe we need extinction events for individual animal resources such as "Over hunting" for worked ones but another for those outside civilized lands.

We use The_J's Real Favorite Religion mod which means that each leader will get their favorite religion in their capital when it is first founded by anyone. This reduces somewhat the dominance of the early religions.

I did do some work on having the earlier religions go obsolete but there is no point if Choose Religions is a game option and it will take a great deal of work to make religions work well if that option is on or off. Basically I would need to duplicate every single religious building.:eek:

I think the reason that the rebel forces are so weak is partly due to that bit of code not being converted to match the C2C tech tree and units well. No one has the inclination to look at it at the moment either.

8. strategyonly

strategyonly C2C Supreme Commander

9. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

10. Daedwartin

Daedwartin Emperor

Break out fireworks people.
    I think some Batarians/Ethereals/Xenos/barbs/GOP/another villians you want nuked need some concentrated sunshine given to them to celebrate this!

11. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

I just checked the code that I think is doing this and rebel forces are based on the non rebel units present. This means that they should be of similar types, but I could not see any adjustment for game speed in the number or rebels - I may have missed it.

12. fox456

fox456 Warlord

@Kitsune,

I love what I've been able to experience with C2C. However, my game, even if I use small maps and only a couple of opponents, crashes due to system limitations. I was wondering what processor you have and how much RAM, etc.

Also, rightfuture mentioned that it would be cool if Afforess and others would stop by and share. One of the things I believe he was able to do was to simplify the code in some way that made the game run much more smoothly and shortened the AI's time necessary between turns. I'm sure there are those here that are much more familiar with those improvements than I am. (I'm just wanting to play a complete game of C2C without having to buy a new computer)! :)

13. Daedwartin

Daedwartin Emperor

Sees the word crash...looks back in memory of Ramkhamhaeng of the Incas. Had a issue with so etching causing a crash at the same date. He proceeded to deal with the issue of it crashing by taking his empire which already ruled a third of the world and conquer the other two thirds in less than 50 turns, Since the crash always occurred when the AI was taking it's turn. Well, we never found out which AI was causing it, as he finished with quite a few turns til it crashed remaining...then sailed right by that date without it crashing.

14. Yoshiegg737

Yoshiegg737 Jungo Jungo

Just came to update my really old version of C2C (v20) to v27. Quick question, are all the leaderheads now static or did I download the wrong version of the mod?

15. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

They are static. It reduces the size of the download. I don't think we have updated the non-static leader head pack in a long time.

16. Osk21

Osk21 Barbarian Killer and Beast Trainer & Solar System!

I just wanted to say that I did finally get C2C working for Windows 8 and aside from a couple of unexplained crashes in the beginning I am now 500 turns into a version 27 game and the modders have made so many great and innovative additions to gameplay they are very much appreciated.:)

17. ls612

ls612 Deity Moderator

I have played C2C using Windows 8 for several months now and have found no problems with it. It runs just as smoothly as it did on Windows 7.

18. strategyonly

strategyonly C2C Supreme Commander

Now that is excellent news, thx ls612;)

19. banut

banut Chieftain

I've played several versions of this mod starting from Version 15 and am really impressed with what you guys have done. That said, when playing beyond the sword or the vanilla version, I would play on prince or monarch and would inevitably face an enemy with a stack of doom and would have to revamp my empire to face such an enemy. however, I have yet to see anything like this in any of the versions I've tried in C2C. I now play on deity with ruthless AI, yet it still seems as though even with an empire far far larger than my own, enemy AI are very hesitant to make invasions, and most of their units are actually non-offensive units such as city guards. The AI will declare war, yet they just wait for me to invade and are rather weak in their defense. Was all this done on purpose and is their no way of making the AI more aggressive? Ive tried playing ruthless AI, Aggressive AI and have even checked both, but nothing seems to bring back large aggressive AI. In my opinion, if this were fixed, this game would be absolutely flawless.

20. ls612

ls612 Deity Moderator

I think that when Koshling comes back in addition to working on Multi-Maps that he will spend some time looking at the tactical weakness of the AI. But it is a known issue that the AI is horrible at making war. Most of the improvements in the past year have focused on making the AI hold its own economically, not militarily.