Caveman 2 Cosmos

I know that on one of the Mythbusters episodes they tried
scruptiously to look at one of the machines Tesla claimed
could create an earthquake on a bridge and it did absolutely
nothing.

They did many experiments on bridges of this nature and demonstrated that it was not possible to cause a bridge to collapse due to marching or other harmonic means. Unfortunately, as they said, in fact bridges have been brought down by such means. The one thing they did say was that the small instrument they used did cause a much bigger effect than they thought and that if they used something the size attributed to Tesla, then perhaps they would have destroyed the bridge.

1) I find Debunkers to usually be more biased and flawed in their approach than not on most occasions. Generally driven by a cynical need to disprove anything interesting so as to 'prove' others foolish. Blinds them severely by seeking any way to stay inside the box they can. Been a few times I've seen Mythbusters come to obviously illogical conclusions. Usually due to what I feel is purposefully discounting a possibility that would answer to the phenomenon. So... imo, more often than not there's a political motive behind that show and that much of it is propaganda.

2) Why would the Government (I should say the Military Industrial Complex) capture and classify Tesla technology and research materials as Top Secret and then begin to implement and test it severely under the guise of an atmospheric research facility? Not a weapon? Why is the NAVY funding it?

3) Tesla's not the only one. Sure there's quite a lot of focus on his technology. But there's been many smaller independent breakthroughs on energy generation and transmission of energy that have been far more silently covered up by buyouts, sometimes the inventor strongarmed or legally out-maneuvered into doing so, that collectively would've freed us by now but have been stymied.

4) Anyone who wants to defend the status quo as if they believe we are naturally doing whatever is best for society should bear in mind that our system is based on doing what is best to obtain money for those making decisions, not what is best to serve the needs of all people. The difference is profound. It leads to such arrangements as pharmaceutical companies bribing government officials to ignore purposeful poisonings of the water supply, air, every day products, so as to start creating a massive need for the products they sell at a huge profit that would easily overwhelm the amounts paid for the bribes. Money doesn't care about you. People who care about making sure they keep their investors happy at ALL costs REALLY don't give a RAT's ass about you! So why would it not be simply natural to consider that true progress is completely undercut by anyone who has the power to do so and the motive to keep themselves making the money they are expected to make to keep the lifestyle they have? Do you foolishly think they would decide against their own well being to simply support a moral premise? Even if some would, they are rapidly replaced by those who would not.

And do you think they might also be able to not only bribe a few decision makers in government, but also maybe pull a few strings to produce an episode that shows skeptical people a very believable lie that nothing's been covered up at all? It would be pretty convincing to those who would prefer to believe everything's just fine. And usually not too hard to play off. It's called propaganda. Too many of us are fish and eat it whole without thought that it might have a hook, denying the truth because the same social propaganda has taught us that in THAT direction lies the hooks.

Wake up world. Or we're all doomed. And I sense it's not that far off that we're past all hope... might even be too late. Like the frog in a pot slowly being brought to boil, we won't realize our dire circumstance until its too late to do anything about it.

When will Civ model THIS?

Come on people, don't let conspiracy theories get the better of you. No, there aren't cheap ways to generate and distribute power that have been buried by governments or big corporations, even if it was physically possible, it wouldn't make any rational sense for them to buy the tech only not to use it.

Due to his rather intriguing life and personality, Tesla is a common figure among conspiracy theories. He really was a great scientist and inventor and made a number of discoveries in energy, but that doesn't make everything he tried or indended to do a physical reality - think of Newton, who made huge breakthroughs in physics (gravitation, Newton's 3 laws, light propagation...) but spent his late life doing alchemy (not early chemistry, but alchemy with all the religious/mystical nonsense) looking for the fabled Philosopher's stone.

If there truly was a way to generate huge supply of cheap energy through "ether" (whatever that is physically), stay assured that somebody would have since (and not just in his garage with strings and duct tape). Same goes for water-powered cars, cold fusion and all the other common pseudoscience things.

(by the way, the frog in the slowly boiling pot, that also a myth ;) )

If you don't believe in conspiracy theories, then you must believe everything either just happened, or that everyone involved was totally open and honest about the extent of their involvement. Good luck with that.:rolleyes:

To label something a 'conspiracy theory' by way of ridicule or dismissiveness, is itself utterly ridiculous. It is done either by those who want to control which conspiracy theories you believe, or by those taken in by them.

Meanwhile, back on topic...oh wait none of this is on topic:lol:

Alt timeline on Tesla? Yes Please Some. (some may go into modern or so, like Megafauna got to prehistory, some more powerful could go into one or more of future eras)

Spoiler off-topic Tesla stuff :
I don’t believe in conspiracy theories simply because of human fallibility. The Illuminati are said to be a global organization of extreme power, who are also highly efficient, work in secret and simply get things done, whereas almost every other government in the world is to a great extent inefficient, incompetent and almost unable to hide their dirty laundry.

Remember electric cars in the 1950s? They were suppressed in a shocking display of corporate greed, but it certainly wasn’t done quietly and they could still be built today, yet we are expected to believe that Nikola Tesla harnessed some wonderful energy source that apparently does not exist and of which no trace of his paperwork can be found? That seems unlikely, to say the least.

Wake up world. Or we're all doomed. And I sense it's not that far off that we're past all hope... might even be too late. Like the frog in a pot slowly being brought to boil, we won't realize our dire circumstance until its too late to do anything about it.

The statistical evidence does not support this view. With only one possible exception.

We have passed peak child. The number of (human) children being born (on Earth) in any year has remained the same for 5-8 years. The total (human) population of is starting to plateau. Estimates are that we could easily support everyone at a lifestyle similar to what we have but with a lot less waste. Th comment used was something like everyone on the planet could live on a quarter acre block per family with a three bedroom house, electricity, et al and inside the area of Texas (the second biggest state in the USA). I think Texas is a bit bigger than Tasmania the smallest state in Australia.

To strengthen Hoskulds argument, I'd suggest watching this video:

http://www.ted.com/talks/hans_rosling_religions_and_babies

Hans Rosling is one of the authorities on global sociology. And especially one of the best presentators of such knowledge.

Btw... his data could be usefull to gauge the effects of civics and properties.

First thing that comes to mind: education should have a strong negative effect on population growth, but a very positive effect on health, income, and productivity.

So maybe replace the +5% on food with a -x% on disease? Yes, this does result in less unhealthyness which translates into more food again... so one might argue that +5% food does something similar... But reducing disease has more effects, and thus is more valuable..

Also surplus healthyness should result in increased productivity (hammers and gold)...

And high education in combination with "it's to crowded unhappyness) should enable an automatic building, that uses surplus food (important only SURPLUS food), and translates it into increased productivity... thereby limiting population growth in large cities, while keeping it active in smaller communities.

So maybe replace the +5% on food with a -x% on disease? Yes, this does result in less unhealthyness which translates into more food again... so one might argue that +5% food does something similar... But reducing disease has more effects, and thus is more valuable..

Education already increases the amount of food per turn, but I like the idea of removing the +X% :food:, maybe even replacing it with a -X% :food: - uneducated cities will probably grow faster then, offering an interesting strategic option.

The statistical evidence does not support this view. With only one possible exception.

We have passed peak child. The number of (human) children being born (on Earth) in any year has remained the same for 5-8 years. The total (human) population of is starting to plateau. Estimates are that we could easily support everyone at a lifestyle similar to what we have but with a lot less waste. Th comment used was something like everyone on the planet could live on a quarter acre block per family with a three bedroom house, electricity, et al and inside the area of Texas (the second biggest state in the USA). I think Texas is a bit bigger than Tasmania the smallest state in Australia.

The population of Africa, and to a lesser extend the Middle East and Southern Asia (the poorest parts of the world, with the exception of some oil-rich countries) continue to boom hard while the population of the top developed countries (notably Europe and North East Asia) will decline. Every year the USA becomes less ethnically white and more black/hispanic. In 1950, 90.5% of the USA was white. Nowadays, in the group 1-4 year olds, white Americans are already less than half. And blacks and hispanics on average do worse at school than whites and North East Asians.

In a way that is a balance yes but not a balance that stays the same.

Look at the countries with the highest and lowest birth rate:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...Country_ranking_and_comparison:_1970_and_2013

Note that ALL european countries have a birth rate below the replacement rate of 2.1 in 2013. And many European countries are far below that. And don't get fooled by relatively high birth rates in some North Western European countries like France. The birth rate of native Europeans in North Western European countries is 1.5 - 1.6 . The difference is made up by much higher fertility rates of third world immigrants.

In 1900, 1/3rd of the world population was of European descent. In 1950 this has dropped to 25%. In 2000, this has dropped to 14%. Meanwhile European countries are the oldest countries in the world, with roughly half the population past reproductive age (40 years old). In many 3rd world countries, 90% of the population is still young enough for reproduction. So even with similar reproductive rates the relative share of ethnic Europeans in the world's population will decline considerably (half). But the reproductive rates of Europeans are well below the rest of the world and even below replacement levels. Soon the population of European countries will not only decline in relative numbers but also in absolute numbers.

lecture "dangerous demographics":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-w3meSupCME

Why is this relevant? Almost all the technological and scientific progress since the Middle Ages has been done in Europe or its colony North America. North East Asia has caught up with the Europeans lately and may possibly take over its leadership eventually, but North East Asia has its own declining birthrates.

With current demographic trends, within a century, Europeans will be reduced to 1-2% of the world's population. That means that Europeans will be very weak militarily and if another world war breaks out, run a real risk of losing and going extinct. Or they may simple become numerically overwhelmed by mass migration from the third world.
The western Roman Empire collapsed due to a combination of low birth rates and mass migration from outside the Roman Empire. The same could happen to Western civilizations at the end of the 21st century.

Once the native population of Europe and North East Asia have effectively vanished, the world will have changed considerably, and that may possibly be the start of a new technological and scientific Dark Age.

Once the native population of Europe and North East Asia have effectively vanished, the world will have changed considerably, and that may possibly be the start of a new technological and scientific Dark Age.

I think that this sort of discussion usually ends up going to really unsuitable places.

I think that this sort of discussion usually ends up going to really unsuitable places.

I agree. Gone too far already imo.

As for education lowering birth rates, that only happens when education is done sufficiently badly! Also, birth rates have at most a cosmetic effect on the game - it's population growth rate that matters (ie. including migration).

Birth rate below replacement is an opportunity to benefit immigrants with an improved standard of living, while not producing further "pressure on resources" due to population growth.

As for relevance to the game .... well! .... I got nothing...:D

I think I said nothing that wasn't true or wasn't plausible.

However something can be said for staying on-topic.

Many studies point out that higher educated women tend to have less children. At least in recent times. The actual reasons and social mechanisms for this are hotly debated.
Not sure how it was in earlier ages, but a larger proportion of the population was needed for food production and I figure that people who sit at school don't help out on the farm.
More education also leads to increased health.

So yeah I support replacing the food bonus from education with +health or -disease.

Also, religious people tend to have more children. So the secular and atheist civics should have a food malus and more food needed for pop growth. If you look at the statistics of the world today (which I posted before), it is the high-educated non-religious countries that have the lowest birth rate, in fact many have birth rates way below replacement levels (2.1 children per woman) so in the long run will have population decline (excluding the effects of migration).

Education already increases the amount of food per turn, but I like the idea of removing the +X% :food:, maybe even replacing it with a -X% :food: - uneducated cities will probably grow faster then, offering an interesting strategic option.

Reduction in pop growth was intended by the Food to Grow modifier. Increase in productivity would include food output. But it does get back to the civ thinking flaw that somehow babies are baked in bread loaves.

Just take away the +x% food and you'll already have a reduction in growth with increasing education levels (though we may want to consider even strengthening the impact a bit.)

Higher education levels already benefit disease levels. Or at least they DID the way I set it up initially.

As for education lowering birth rates, that only happens when education is done sufficiently badly!

Actually ... nope.

The important part is the education of women. As was pointed out, education of women has incredible positive effects. Better educated women means later childbirth, enormously higher survival rates for the children, extremely higher ability of the children to support themself ... and their aging parents...

In effect it means that 1-2 kids born are enough to make sure that both parents live well at old age.

And as a result, average number of kids per women has dropped even in subsaharan africa from 8+ to around 4 ... and yes that's in the countries with highest population growth.

If or when multiple maps become a thing(So that it isn't just "Rock falls everyone dies.") will there be more random events of a more devastating nature? (Say, gamma ray bursts, or an extremely prolific GMC)

If or When Multi-Maps even happen it would then need someone to make the Events for it. Currently map makers are in short supply. Hopefully this will get better, hopefully. :sad:

JosEPh

If or when multiple maps become a thing(So that it isn't just "Rock falls everyone dies.") will there be more random events of a more devastating nature? (Say, gamma ray bursts, or an extremely prolific GMC)

IIRC we do have horrible events, but since a lot of people didn't like them, they are currently under my mods (unloaded). If you move them to "my mods" then you'll have them in game.

Im thinking of trying a game on deity with size matters, the advanced combat options and as many modmods that can be run at the same time to check how they change the game(Dangerous Hunting, My take on civics and the changed diseases and pests modmods). Can i run these at the same time?

What map sctript/game speed would provide the most balanced results?

and would there be interest in me creating a thread with screenshots describing this game?

Im thinking of trying a game on deity with size matters, the advanced combat options and as many modmods that can be run at the same time to check how they change the game(Dangerous Hunting, My take on civics and the changed diseases and pests modmods). Can i run these at the same time?

and would there be interest in me creating a thread with screenshots describing this game?

Those modmods *should* be compatible as they don't change the same elements. The new difficulties modmod might have balance issues, especially with the other modmods, at the very least I'd advise loading it first (put it in a folder name 00NewDifficulties in My_Mods) if you want to use it.

The base speed setting is Snail, the game should be balanced for it. Map script really depends on taste, I think people usually use Planet Generator or Perfect Mongoose but the others are probably fine also.

And you're welcome to make an AAR thread for your game! :) Feedback on the various modmod effects and balance would be particularly appreciated.

Can i run these at the same time?
Make sure to let dangerous hunting override "my take on promotions" as I nerfed hunters to make hunting dangerous while Rwn buffed both hunters and animals so animals would be dangerous to normal units and hunters.

Unknown... My take on civic increases difficulty and makes all game-speeds somewhat longer (especially because you won't be able to settle new cities as fast as usual), so choose one level lower for each of them than you use to do.

Top Bottom