Caveman 2 Cosmos

I was going to give you all the details but I had a hard drive malfunction and had to reload everything. So I started a new game. I'll keep careful track of what is going on and if anything happens again I will post will full details,.

Civ IV BtS engine is a 32 bit single core entity. That right there is a hurdle that can't be helped. Some of the Team's past and current C++ modders have multi threade some of the process Before it hits the Game DLL. But once the data hits the engine after the DLL it's all single core 32 bit.

We've gotten used to mid game turns taking a minute or so to process. The sheer amount of xml data and the processing loops the python and C++ coding has to do is staggering. That is our albatross and something we will probably never be able to overcome, just mitigate some.

JosEPh
thanks for your reply, these ,,changes'' are implemented in what files exactly, maybe is possible for me to port them over to other mods without internal editing, just copy paste?
Best

I'm not the C++ coder, ThunderBrd is. You will have to ask him.

JosEPh

thanks for your reply, these ,,changes'' are implemented in what files exactly, maybe is possible for me to port them over to other mods without internal editing, just copy paste?
Best
lol

Those adjustments are deep in the DLL coding. Furthermore, it's too complex for me to follow so I steer far clear of any of that stuff myself. Attempting to merge or port with C2C would be an absolute nightmare even for a master programmer. There are so many fundamental things that run differently here than it does for the standard vanilla code that you'd never be able to get a compare program to be much of a help.

Anybody else getting "Insectoid " culture creeping into the game, like 2,3% on some of my tiles?

I understand this is a planned future alien race? Can screenshot later.

Was going to post in bugs not maybe it's intentional?

If you play with barbarians influencing culture by combat (BUG options) then Locust Swarms can influence tiles as insectoids as they are spawned as belonging to that NPC type.

That is as far as I know the only possible origin of what you reported.

Edit: heh, you "liked" my post like 5 seconds after I posted it.

If you play with barbarians influencing culture by combat (BUG options) then Locust Swarms can influence tiles as insectoids as they are spawned as belonging to that NPC type.

That is as far as I know the only possible origin of what you reported.
Yes that makes sense (in a technical way!)

Hi. Is it normal to have problems with state stability and revolution in prehistoric era? I can not improve my stability in any way. I built all buildings and have the latest civics, but capital start to revolv.I lose all money and population in capital and lose the game. In previous version 36, revolutions never start so early

Attachments

• Безымянный.png
    Безымянный.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 103
Revolution is practically broken in v37, no efforts were made to balance it after some changes that might unbalance it; I guess we didn't have a long enough freeze period before release to notice the problem properly.
It will probably be balanced in the SVN soon, maybe a patch for v37 will be released too.

T-brd made some corrections to Rev before v37. I would need to dig up exactly what he did. Something about Revidx and/or indexes being broken?

Was supposed to fix early preh game problem with founding city going into perpetual revolts.

@shkitur ,
When you updated/ installed v37 was it a clean install? No overwrite, that's bad. Did you find and clear the cache folder? And finally did you keep yuor old v36 User Settings folder? If so that is a big problem too. Can't use an Old User settings folder for v37.

JosEPh

T-brd made some corrections to Rev before v37. I would need to dig up exactly what he did. Something about Revidx and/or indexes being broken?
It really wasn't anything that affects immediate change. There are local and national rev idx tags and both were acting as national when local was intended. I corrected the tag processing.

I suppose if they were all previously operating as national modifications that would stack with each other then it could be a lot of lost stability once you have multiple cities in the game.

Someone who understands rev's functioning could certainly be useful to have tweaking that side of the mod.

It really wasn't anything that affects immediate change. There are local and national rev idx tags and both were acting as national when local was intended. I corrected the tag processing.

I suppose if they were all previously operating as national modifications that would stack with each other then it could be a lot of lost stability once you have multiple cities in the game.

Someone who understands rev's functioning could certainly be useful to have tweaking that side of the mod.

And since no one does, why keep it in the Mod? We have other mechanisms in place. This ancient, unattended, non supported, one needs to be axed from the mod imhpo. But then again who will do that too?

JosEPh

Was supposed to fix early preh game problem with founding city going into perpetual revolts.

@shkitur ,
When you updated/ installed v37 was it a clean install? No overwrite, that's bad. Did you find and clear the cache folder? And finally did you keep yuor old v36 User Settings folder? If so that is a big problem too. Can't use an Old User settings folder for v37.

JosEPh
I just deleted caveman2cosmos from Civ4 and install v37. no, i did not clean cache folder. No i didnt keep my old setting, just deleted v36 and instslled v 37.

To update do I just unpack the contents from the zip to the old caveman2cosmos folder in ....\2K Games\Civilization 4 Complete\Beyond The Sword\Mods and then choose yes to overwrite all? Sorry for asking about this but I could not find any answers in the faq or elsewhere that explains whether this is the way to do it or not.

No.
Delete (or move/rename if you want to keep it for some reason) the old caveman2cosmos folder completely.
Move the unzipped new version in.
Start new game with 'Play now'; Change any 'bug' settings back the way you want them; play a turn or two; save the game; save the game again (overwrite the existing file); Exit the game; Restart the game; Choose 'custom game' and set the options how you like; play on. Feel free to delete the double saved Play now game at this point

No.
Delete (or move/rename if you want to keep it for some reason) the old caveman2cosmos folder completely.
Move the unzipped new version in.
Start new game with 'Play now'; Change any 'bug' settings back the way you want them; play a turn or two; save the game; save the game again (overwrite the existing file); Exit the game; Restart the game; Choose 'custom game' and set the options how you like; play on. Feel free to delete the double saved Play now game at this point

Wow, you sure I need to do all that? Why is there no official instructions on this (or maybe there is, but where?).

Can't I just load the save game and continue?

To update do I just unpack the contents from the zip to the old caveman2cosmos folder in ....\2K Games\Civilization 4 Complete\Beyond The Sword\Mods and then choose yes to overwrite all? Sorry for asking about this but I could not find any answers in the faq or elsewhere that explains whether this is the way to do it or not.
No. Delete the old and insert the new and keep it labeled Caveman2Cosmos. You'll get lots more tips Here!

v37 breaks all savegames from v36.

So basically I can't really continue my save? Right now I'm in the end of the Ancient era, very close to classical. What then happens if I follow the procedure suggested her using "play now", etc and choose Ancient era as start era, will I (and all other civs) begin from scratch on the Ancient era? Or will I get too keep all my researched technologies?

Top Bottom