1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Caveman 2 Cosmos

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Caveman 2 Cosmos' started by strategyonly, Aug 25, 2008.

1. shkitur

shkitur Chieftain

A few turns later great person appeared.

Attached Files:

2. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

The v37 Player's Guide should cover whatever problems you're suffering, if not right now soon. It's ALMOST complete. It's in the Tips and Tricks section.

3. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Strangest bug I've ever seen. Noted. I'll be on the lookout for trying to catch how that happened. Please note these things in the Bugs and Crashes threads.

4. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

I even said "Please", I was not being nasty. Just to get players to give details is like pulling teeth though.

And I personally have not seen what you posted. Criminals are not an Option to turn off. They are part of T-brd's Law Enforcement and Crime that he added right after I balanced the Individual Crimes last year. T-brd has a whole thread on this in the Strategy Thread. It is recommended reading.

JosEPh

5. jshetley

jshetley Warlord

In my last game before ver37 came out I finally got in trouble when capturing a city during a war that had +500 in crime and rising fast. At least 4 criminals spawned there quickly after I got that city.and it got the red face and started slowly losing its population. Well it took a while, but before I left that game for Ver37 that city was at -200 in crime and still going down. So it can be corrected. Crime is even easier to deal with in cities that you create yourself. Just build the anticrime buildings or place LE units in them.

6. Taxman66

Taxman66 King

Haven't run gotten to the point in v37, but in v36+crime patch there were several times I took smallish cities where it was just less a hassle to disband the city, kill the free roaming criminals then refound the city with a settler.

7. IdioticUlt1mara

IdioticUlt1mara Prince

The only thing I have a problem with in my recent LP/livestream is the "automation hunt" stuff. I set the Min Req to 60% they die to a 20% attack??? I set it to 75% they die to a 50% attack. I set it to 80% and I never see them attack anything. All of these are when they attack not when they defend? But I get past this problem by controlling them myself, until I get fed up of the micro haha

8. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

There have been some major improvements to this stuff in late v37's cycle. For example, criminals are less likely to spawn with each other criminal that already exists in the city, to the extent there is a hard limit of 10 total barb criminals in a city, less if there are some of yours perhaps, or those of other nations. When cities are destroyed they'll run for the nearest enemy city so they won't just sit there to be cleaned up anymore.

I've been noticing that the AI is apparently doing a poor job of hunting for some reason. Maybe this has something to do with it. I think it has to do with some of the tweaks to the odds check that may need recalibration since Koshling worked on it last. Odds levels to attack in the AI coding was changed a while back so that if the AI perceives more value in winning the battle, it will take greater risk and if it doesn't it will take less risk than the basic risk tolerance the odds to attack represents. This adjustment had a profound effect on automated hunting behavior, which can tell us a thing or two about how well the AI is judging things too. Tough stuff to disseminate in the code though.

9. rwglaub

rwglaub Prince

I fixed one problem with by clicking on scale according to map size. I have one law enforcement unit in each city, along with dogs. But I'm not able to go out and hunt criminals. As a matter of fact, I don't even see them. I am not using any of the Combat Mods but maybe I should be.

10. E.M. Lurker

E.M. Lurker Chieftain

Right of Passage, not Rite. A rite of passage would be some kind of coming of age ceremony.

11. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Or more related to the term 'writ', a legal agreement. I've often questioned the spelling of the term as it was established but I've not fully researched into it. Something tells me that the correct spelling actually is Rite. I'm well aware that the term 'rite' is used for a 'rit'ual. Then again the term ritual could be perceived by some as the act of establishing a spiritual contract. There may well be a bleed-over in the language evolution of the term.

12. E.M. Lurker

E.M. Lurker Chieftain

...I think I see the problem now. Rite of passage, right of transit.

13. lucidstorm

lucidstorm Chieftain

sounds interesting, got problems at download, it downloaded 3 times a file of 0kb then finally 696mb at 4th try

I hope this included K-mod AI since it was the most challenging for me (better than better bts ai and community patch level of challenge)

14. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

K-mods author collaborated with us for a time back when k-mod was 1.4 iirc. We have some of it in C2C. But we had/have our own C++ modders back then/now too.

JosEPh

15. rwglaub

rwglaub Prince

Now then, I'm asking again. How do I keep cities from starving and losing population. Is it criminals? If so, how do I get rid of them., I have scale city limits turned on. Anybody else run into this? I don't know what to do.

16. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

Please, pretty please infact, can you give some details (ie, for example, Game set up Options used, Leader selected, Difficulty level, etc.) to your game set up? Please? Perhaps a screen shot or 2? That always seems to give help. Maybe even post your save game? Please?

JosEPh

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  17. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

All of the answers you would seek, especially considering how this is such a generic question with very few details given to us to help with any kind of diagnosis or strategy discussion, would be found here: v37 Player's Guide I've just completed the guide with the exception of a breakdown of the BUG options so all topics should be covered. If you have familiarity with Vanilla Beyond the Sword, this should literally cover EVERYTHING else that's new here, particularly what's new in v37 if you have earlier C2C experience (3rd post covers these details.)

18. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

19. lucidstorm

lucidstorm Chieftain

hi could it be possible to make the ,,faster turn'' speed a modular thing in order to use it with any mod and as a replacement of the vanilla mechanics?

I mean if you found the algorytm to speed things up it would be great to combine it with vanilla (I am a purist and I veteran so I prefer vanilla units and stuff, less confusing for me and your mod is great but a little overwhelming for my little brain. I mean I know what to do to win on most difficulties but here I have like 15 buildings from start. That's normal for the mod in se but I'd rather stick to what I am good at and polish it rather than learn from scratch. I will be playing your mod, just adapting very slowly to it and playing vanilla for the most part.)

the turn speed issues is the biggest one for civ, I have buyed skylake and OCed it to 4,73 but it's still slow. The game itself is only able to use 10% of the processor, and about 500mb of vram. So please if you can implement this do so, you'd safe me and alot of people huge hassle with AI turn speed. I suspect it was done poorly by game designers as it is in most cases (see bethesda's infamous poor quality for reference) that hardware cannot fix but you modders.

Thx and appreciate what you'v done, count me in as a big fan

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  20. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

Civ IV BtS engine is a 32 bit single core entity. That right there is a hurdle that can't be helped. Some of the Team's past and current C++ modders have multi threade some of the process Before it hits the Game DLL. But once the data hits the engine after the DLL it's all single core 32 bit.

We've gotten used to mid game turns taking a minute or so to process. The sheer amount of xml data and the processing loops the python and C++ coding has to do is staggering. That is our albatross and something we will probably never be able to overcome, just mitigate some.

JosEPh