1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Caveman 2 Cosmos

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Caveman 2 Cosmos' started by strategyonly, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

I admit that what must have seemed super odd to Raxxo here is that the versions between that and a few versions back were not on ModDB at all... so maybe that was an early test use of ModDB that SO did and he didn't start really using it instead of CFC until a few versions back? I dunno.

2. Esfera

Esfera Chieftain

I guess that you are implying that v39 unfortunately breaks old saves, right?
    So I guess that is convenient to start a new one.

3. raxo2222

raxo2222 Warlord

V39 doesn't break saves, but V40 will break saves just like nuclear bomb breaks cities :nuke::devil::mwaha:

4. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

You got it upside down, read my post again knowing that you got it upside down the first time. ^^

5. Esfera

Esfera Chieftain

Sorry, my fault, I am not a native speaker. :yuck:

6. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

Me neither, but it's ok, I'm sure you'll get better. :)

7. Tajo

Tajo Chieftain

V39 looks real good so far, only at the end of prehistoric though. One thing that I noticed was that chain viper seems to be a new animal in the game but there is no subdued chain viper in sevopedia. I guess that it means that this animal cannot be subdued.

8. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Warlord

It may be an old animal that had its name changed but only the wild one got its name changed.

9. raxo2222

raxo2222 Warlord

Or this animal could have its newer art file overridden by older one.
    Now such duplicates are gone and now only appropriate versions of those textures remain.

Osk21 likes this.
  10. Tajo

Tajo Chieftain

Could be but never seen chain viper in game before. Otherwise feels nice version, can't say much yet in early ancient expect that the money seems to be very abundant already. Seems a bit odd that now just pearls enable the jewelry money fountain.

Osk21 likes this.
  11. Anq

Anq Chieftain

I remember seeing chain viper but it's very rare, only in some particular region (plain hills? or swamps?). When I captured it, I captured a subdued viper instead.

Osk21 likes this.
  12. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

Why? Pearls are considered jewels.

And a blanket statement about money being abundant with out any details, like Game Options used, Difficulty, Map type, etc. just does not help. Opinions vary widely as to what is "very abundant". Using the New Trait system? Collecting new Traits like trading cards? Using More resource and /or more Rivers Options too? So many ways to make getting gold easier just by setting the game up that way.

Osk21 likes this.
  13. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

All vipers once captured will read subdued viper. Or at least that's the way it's been for sometime.

Osk21 likes this.
  14. Tajo

Tajo Chieftain

Just because this makes it all too easy to reach abundance of money all too easily. And actually pearl is not a jewel per se. Jewel is a precious stone, pearl is a pearl.

Main game options concerning are size:standard, time, marathon, difficulty:immortal. Too easy... yet still. Trading cards? Don't have a clue what you are talking about. No more resources, no more rivers. Any help there?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    Osk21 likes this.
  15. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

A pearl is usually considered a gem, an organically made one but it is a gemstone.

I'm not going to say that I have direct experience enough with it to comment for myself but we are hearing numerous complaints about the amount of gold being far more than it should be after mid-prehistoric. Some have said that it's disappointing that they are experiencing no effective financial barrier to infinite growth. Haven't gotten far enough to confirm that. I CAN say that as my test game breaks into tribalism and I planted a city, I actually gained more gold from it than I lost (though that's taking into account the military support was suddenly alleviated by the fact that numerous units were suddenly within borders.) This is also just the first city so *shrug* I don't know how it will go after this. I'm over +20 gold per round at the moment, maybe as much as +40 at times. All on 100% research (I've never had to drop it yet) but again, I don't know what it's like once you get a 3d/4th/5th city etc... So take this all as a summary of the things I'm hearing said on Discord.

Osk21 likes this.
  16. Tajo

Tajo Chieftain

Jewel is emerald/opal/rubin and pearl is a pearl from a shell imo, would still prefer how this was before and besides, there already is a bead maker that produces money. Additional cities consume money in my game but it is so abundant that there actually is "an embarrassment of riches" and difficulty to decice if pouring wealth should be channeled into army or more cities and I'm still only at pre-mid ancient.

V39 feels great so far, just too much money all too soon. :egypt:

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    Osk21 likes this.
  17. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

I'm not saying that gold is strict through out the games play. It does increase with each new city built or captured. It is still a work in progress. And on the case of Civics what I have done to the Civics in the Preh Era has not yet reached the main Civics in Ancient and beyond. Still working on this and it was not ready for v39 release.

raxo has already cut Gold Modifiers on buildings. And this caused my early set of Civics to not be as effective as they Now need to be for the late Preh and Ancient Eras. Then will come the Classical Civics adjustments.

There are some major National buildings that give big boosts to :gold::culture::hammers::science: that come into play during the Ancient Era. One in particular is when you research Specialization. There are others.

We have been whittling down the Gold Modifiers for sometime now. But there are game set up options that work against these reductions
    The New Trait system if you are using Developing leaders by it very nature allows you to have more than 3 Traits, does it not?! Allowing you to stack the traits how you want. Hence the offhand reference to acting like Trading cards. Have to be American and collect baseball or basketball trading cards to understand I guess. Silly Americans. :p

As to the More Rivers and More Resources these are Game set up Options that contribute to having richer tiles which in turn gives more gold to the treasury of any Empire. Do you use these Options? Everyone knows that having cities on Rivers increases their wealth and production along with food and culture.

If you use any of the Options to make the game play easier to win then you are actually creating the environment of play that allows greater wealth in All areas. Of course Everyone wants to win. But does everyone really want a challenge? Not really I would say from years of reading players posts.

But yes Gold is still in abundance after you hit Tribalism and the race to expand starts. Ongoing project that will take more time to bring down. But be assured once it comes down there will be Many that cry that it's Too hard now on their beloved Difficulty level. Already have witnessed this just from what has been done in the Preh Era start.

Osk21, KaTiON_PT and TaylorItaly like this.
  18. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Usually weaker traits though.

Not all mapscripts even use the options. Some do. C2C world does not.

A jewel is a crafted art piece, usually to be worn, so that's where you may not think of a pearl as being included, however, it also refers to things like broaches and earrings (crafted pieces) that USE any kind of gem, including a pearl, in its manufacture. A plain cut stone gem can qualify as a jewel since it is worked, but even that sort of jewel is really just a worked Gem and has not yet been included in a piece of jewelry.

I don't think any of us disagree that there's some rebalancing needs though. And maybe nerfing this building would help, but it should also be a powerful one that a player really wants to get.

TaylorItaly and Osk21 like this.
  19. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Warlord

We are talking about the Jeweler, building right? I only ever build one because the crime effect is to high to have in all cities. Nefring it more would put it on my list of "never build" buildings.

Osk21 and TaylorItaly like this.
  20. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Wow... the amount of gold you get out of it is way more than what it costs to maintain the anti-crime efforts needed to contain that taint.

JosEPh_II, Osk21 and TaylorItaly like this.