Caveman 2 Cosmos

Looks like GOM type requirement formatting text is broken.
@Toffer90 or @Blazenclaw can look at it
It was broken by one of our translators removing the spaces at start and end of the "Or" and "And" text xml entry.
Remember noticing the space removal not that long ago, but forgot to revert that change as I was busy with other stuff.
Could fix it by hardcoding the spaces in code rather than adding it back in xml...

Edit1: Fixed space issues.
Edit2: Fixed colour issue.

Last edited:
5. By checking the World Builder, I found 2 barbarian cities that had reached size 4, but not yet emerged as minor civs - I would have expected them to be minor civs after reaching size 3. Is forming a minor civ less than a certainty, once reaching the required size?
The cities also need to be discovered by several(i forgot the number) players before they turn into a minor civ.

The cities also need to be discovered by several(i forgot the number) players before they turn into a minor civ.
Are you sure that's the way it works? In this game, the Egyptians emerged on a small landmass before any civ had acquired seafaring, so no established civ could have discovered them. Also, I'm pretty sure I had a previous game (v38.5) where the Mongols emerged as a minor civ when I was the only remaining civ on my continent, and none of the others could have crossed ocean to encounter the barbarian city involved.

Edit to add: there were barbarian cities and Neanderthal cities on the same landmass with the Egyptians - could they have counted as "players" the allow the Egyptians to emerge?

Also - if a barbarian city must be discovered by other players, how could new civs emerge on a "New World" map?

Last edited:
If new world rules are in place, then barbs on new world landmasses won't become minor civs before some rule have been fulfilled, said rule can be changed in BUG option, I think default is that a regular civ needs to have had a unit on the landmass at some point.

Does it mean that a single-civ GAME can't effectively use Barb Civ spawning, since I'm the ONLY civ there (unless I bud with colonies)?
Oh, and by the way, do I need any specific Techs to bud a colony in the first place - or is it just Vassalage and having cities overseas?

Does it mean that a single-civ GAME can't effectively use Barb Civ spawning, since I'm the ONLY civ there (unless I bud with colonies)?
Oh, and by the way, do I need any specific Techs to bud a colony in the first place - or is it just Vassalage and having cities overseas?
You can change the "New world" rule in BUG settings to less restrictive conditions..

One issue that has long existed and long annoyed me is how, at the end of spy missions, the spies return to your capital city no matter where they are or where they were built. I can have a spy perform a mission in a foreign city right next to mine, and when they're done, they head back to the capital even if I didn't build it there or even if it's on another continent. Now I need to either spend time to build another spy or get the same one back to the foreign city. Isn't there any way to change this?

One issue that has long existed and long annoyed me is how, at the end of spy missions, the spies return to your capital city no matter where they are or where they were built. I can have a spy perform a mission in a foreign city right next to mine, and when they're done, they head back to the capital even if I didn't build it there or even if it's on another continent. Now I need to either spend time to build another spy or get the same one back to the foreign city. Isn't there any way to change this?
Well... it's been the rule in spy interactions since BtS. Criminals work a little differently and may stay put. What behavior are you wanting exactly? Return to the city they were trained in perhaps? That's actually possible now I think - IIRC a number of years ago I added some code memory on where a unit had been trained. I'm not SURE if it works quite as intended or not. If you're saying they shouldn't return at all, I don't think that would work well in terms of intended balance. It works for criminals cause it can get them arrested to stay.

I don't think I received an answer to this one.
I don't know because I don't play with vassalage on and from what I understand, creating a colony requires that option.

Well... it's been the rule in spy interactions since BtS. Criminals work a little differently and may stay put. What behavior are you wanting exactly? Return to the city they were trained in perhaps? That's actually possible now I think - IIRC a number of years ago I added some code memory on where a unit had been trained. I'm not SURE if it works quite as intended or not. If you're saying they shouldn't return at all, I don't think that would work well in terms of intended balance. It works for criminals cause it can get them arrested to stay.
I'd like the spies to return to the city they were built in. I had a neighboring city from another civ and noticed I was building culture in it, so I sent a spy to add more. Of course, at the end of the mission, he went all the way back to my capital and I had to wait while he made his way back.
I rarely use spies and this is why. I remember one time using a spy from a city located off my main continent and it STILL went back to my capital. So I had to build a transport to get him back. Either that or build a new spy and have a bunch of unused spies in my capital. I know it's from BTS, I could have sworn I recall the team talking about modifying this many moons ago...

I'd like the spies to return to the city they were built in. I had a neighboring city from another civ and noticed I was building culture in it, so I sent a spy to add more. Of course, at the end of the mission, he went all the way back to my capital and I had to wait while he made his way back.
I rarely use spies and this is why. I remember one time using a spy from a city located off my main continent and it STILL went back to my capital. So I had to build a transport to get him back. Either that or build a new spy and have a bunch of unused spies in my capital. I know it's from BTS, I could have sworn I recall the team talking about modifying this many moons ago...
OK. At some point when I'm in tinkering with things I will try to remember to make this happen. It shouldn't be tough to do but it needs to be done with each spy mission completion (though perhaps designing a more central completion function could help, at current this behavior is located in each individual mission resolution function. Thus no matter how you go about it, simple as it is, it's a small project not just a spot fix.)

Just throwing an idea out there for the spy mechanic.
What if there was a building that was like the palace, with only one built at a time and it can be rebuilt to move it?

It would set where spies go after completing missions, as well as giving players an idea where enemy spies are based out of if they see it in a city.
Perhaps a bonus to counterintelligence in that city as well.
AI could be told to build it near enemy borders if possible, giving them a faster chance to use spies too.

Just throwing an idea out there for the spy mechanic.
What if there was a building that was like the palace, with only one built at a time and it can be rebuilt to move it?

It would set where spies go after completing missions, as well as giving players an idea where enemy spies are based out of if they see it in a city.
Perhaps a bonus to counterintelligence in that city as well.
AI could be told to build it near enemy borders if possible, giving them a faster chance to use spies too.
The shift to having the spy go to where it was trained seems like a simple enough one but this is something one COULD do as well.

Sorry I'm confused : right now the 1st message of this thread says the last version released is v41 (released 11/18/2020), but when I download it the changelog.md file says it is v40.1.3181. Is it the correct version ?

Sorry I'm confused : right now the 1st message of this thread says the last version released is v41 (released 11/18/2020), but when I download it the changelog.md file says it is v40.1.3181. Is it the correct version ?
https://www.moddb.com/mods/caveman2cosmos/downloads
Is linked from the first post (two-steps).
Has v41, so I dunno where you downloaded yours.
OR the log simply wasn't adjusted, since it's one continuous development, lol.

Top Bottom