Caveman 2 Cosmos

From the latest svn change log on the very bottom:
"Changed how negative maintenance modifiers impact the cost, -100% no longer means zero maintenance, it means half maintenance, similarly to how +100 means double maintenance."

i have to say, as a mathmatician this weirds me out. :nono:

From the latest svn change log on the very bottom:
"Changed how negative maintenance modifiers impact the cost, -100% no longer means zero maintenance, it means half maintenance, similarly to how +100 means double maintenance."

There are multiple modifiers, that work like this.
+100% means *2
-100% means /2

+0% would be *1 or /1

Modifiers can stack below -100% - this is when weird things would start happening.
Now that <0 modifier means division, decreasing stuff is now harder.

Yeah, but the diminishing return on negative percentage modifiers gives us more xml freedom and better balance in most cases.

That way we can treat both sides of zero the same for percentage modifiers in xml, and most modifiers are a sum of many different xml entries, so hitting -100 or less is quite easy when we only have 100 possible values to work with.
Increasing modifiers can work in the numerical range of "zero → infinity", shouldn't then decreasing modifiers have the same accuracy, weirds me out as a mathematician and coder that I only have 100 values to work with when within the decreasing side of the modifier scale.

Modifying a positive-only-value to zero should be comparable to modifying it to infinity, though since the code always round numbers down it is quite easy to hit a final value of zero even with the diminishing return from negative modifiers.
Considering that negative maintenance is not a thing, we should treat 0 maintenance as the opposite to infinite imo. Maintenance free cities is not really all that realistic in any case, but before this change it could be achieved with a couple buildings + the right civics.
Spoiler This was the numerical change in code :
Code:
iValue = iValue * (100 + iMod) / 100;
if (iValue < 0)
{
    iValue = 0;
}
To:
Code:
if (iMod > 0)
{
    iValue = iValue * (100 + iMod) / 100;
}
else if (iMod < 0)
{
    iValue = iValue * 100 / (100 - iMod);
}

Last edited:
Sure, from a technical perspective it makes sense. but i wish the tooltips won't say -100% when its actually -50%.

Will -200% translate to -66% aka 1/3 then in a similar fashion with +200% being triple value?

There may be some exceptions that shouldn't work like that, but yeah, I would like most modifiers to work like that, I've been converting the ones that make sense as I find them.
Yield, Commerce, Great People modifiers can work like this?

I seem to be crashing like crazy :( but it's seemingly random. Will crash, reload, play for 2-10 turns and then crash again. I'm playing a space map using the SVN Re-scaled Latitude Limits modmod. I've uploaded my save. On revision 11354.

Attachments

• Kith War.CivBeyondSwordSave
    12.8 MB · Views: 37
Tell me one single reason why I should build national mint? This need to be changed, please. SVN 11350.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0738.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0738.JPG
    266.5 KB · Views: 91
Tell me one single reason why I should build national mint? This need to be changed, please. SVN 11350.
I guess this 10% from maintaince vastly overpowers gold from bonuses.
I guess original idea was to build it in city with lowest maintenance

I think +1% maintenance would make more sense
Its reduced on Github now

Last edited:
I think the AI love gunfighters a little much, putting 33 in one of my cities.
Spoiler Screenshot :
upload_2021-7-20_19-4-51.png

There were some numerical controls on how dedicated they'd get to this strategy. See how much farther it goes.
Well I am mass producing police dogs to help combat, so luckily dogs are really cheap.

This is for Raxo since you been working on obsolete buildings, Stories Dire Wolf does not obsolete.

Okay, just pointed it out because it was out of place. It is the only story left after all the others obsoleted.

I guess this 10% from maintaince vastly overpowers gold from bonuses.
Does now that Toffer, Blazenclaw?, and you upped Maint. costs on everything.

I guess original idea was to build it in city with lowest maintenance
Nope was meant for Capitol City

I think +1% maintenance would make more sense
Its reduced on Github now
Yup!

Why do you all not test what you are changing Before you put it on Git or SVN? The standard and best practice has Always been Test Before You Add To Game!
I seriously doubt that the discord Team does this. I Hope I'm wrong.

Top Bottom