1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

CCM (epic mod) preview thread

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by Civinator, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion Supporter

Thank you all for your kind words. :)

Balthasar, to be a real modding artist as there are some of them in these forums, for me it´s still a long way to go. I can fill some graphical gaps in my work myself, but if you look closer on the buildings you can notice for example, that some of them have no shaddows. I was missing an early steam engine in CCM (as you can see, when the present techtrees are published) and therefore took the image of a toy steamengine out of the internet, resized, recoloured and partly redraw it and ready was the steamengine I needed. So it has no shaddow yet, I like that Steamengine a lot. Even the small icon, which in my eyes is a lot more difficult as the large icon, looks very well.

againsttheflow, I would like to have different flags for the different civs for the moonlanding icon in the techtree, as I find it cool to have the possibility to place the flag of the civ you are playing on the moon. To do this for all the civs in the spacerace graphics themselves was not possible for me, as I wasn´t able to get 31 different moonlanding graphics to the spacerace, but for the techtree this would be possible, if there are enough buildings still available (what isn´t the case for CCM).

Heretic_Cata, as you can see, I appreciate your work, as some of your wondersplashes are used in CCM, too. This means, they are in my eyes amongst the best wondersplashes ever done for Civ 3. Of course you - and all other who see here parts of their works - will get full credit for them when CCM is released (for others: At least the wonderful religious splashes in the second row showing the Buddha and the cross were done by Heretic_Cata).

For your question about sacrifing, do you mean more than one unit type, that can be sacrificed or that there are standing 2 Elvis-units in the screenshot, that wait for beeing sacrificed?

2. Grandraem

Grandraem Alchemist

Civinator,

Everything looks very impressive so far. I really like your space race screen and the Elvis culture boost is really fun.:)

3. Heretic_Cata

Heretic_Cata We're gonna live forever

Glad you like 'em. :D

For the question - more than 1 unit type to be sacrificed?

4. Civinator

Thank you very much Grandraem.

By all your positive posts I´m so overwhelmed, that I want to give you all a little present here. Attached is a zip with the graphics of the early steamengine. :)

5. Vuldacon

Vuldacon Dedicated to Excellence Supporter

Civinator... I am very impressed with your Work on this Game. Great Space Race, both in implemented Concept and Graphics work. You have excellent ideas and your completed Game should prove to be Exciting Fun and will certainly be stamped with "Must Download" :goodjob:

6. Civinator

Different units can enslave to different units. With the sacrifice-flag on that enslaved unit, each one of the different units can be sacrificed.

But there is still another -until now- secret with the great artist in CCM:

The great artist unit has era-specific graphics, as the opera in CCM exists since era 2 and Elvis only appears in CCM in the last era.

Attached Files:

7. Civinator

Vuldacon, thank you very much for your kind words. So much positive words from such a lot of great Civ 3 modders - this is nearly unbelievable for me.:)

But before saying that some of you will play this game "over and over" or a "must download" you should see, if the new concepts really are fun for you, too. CCM was done to focus on new gaming-concepts for Civ 3 and the graphics work was only done by me to fill gaps in the mod.

So I think I have to explain a lot about the new gaming concepts of CCM soon. :)

8. Heretic_Cata

Heretic_Cata We're gonna live forever

Ah - forgot about the enslave thingy.
    Didn't know he had an era-spec setting. :)

9. Civinator

The great artist in CCM has an era-spec setting. The monks for era 1 and half of era 2 are different units. They don´t give such a huge cultural boost, as the monks don´t have as much shields as the great artists. There could be more different great artists without problems. The limitation in CCM comes from the units which enslave other units as these units in CCM are autoproduced by special buildings (for example the christian missionary by the Christian SW "Great Monastry = Cluny, the lawyer by the SW Supreme Court and so on) and -as you know :)- for C3C there are only 256 buildings.

10. againsttheflow

againsttheflow unpolitically uncorrect

I'm having a hard time grasping your method of creating great artists. As I understand it you have SWs and maybe other buildings auto-producing units--Christian missionaries, lawyers, musicians and the like. These in turn have no attk/def(??) and must be captured by other Civs at which point they would be turned into an era-specific Great Artist. These in turn can be taken back to your cities and "sacrificed" for culture which is dependent on their [artificial] cost. Every era has a Great Artist with a unique cost and the cost in this case rises through the ages. :coffee: Is that the gist of it? :crazyeye:

and you did that just by adding the ERAS_Modern_Era and such to the PediaIcons.txt?

[edit]
    Ok, so you meant an actual national flag represented by a building which is the final requirement in the space race and each civ has access only to their flag via a unique tech which allows their nation-specific building? If this is the case I had not realized one could assign more than one building to fulfill a given requirement in the space race.

11. Civinator

Partly. :D The "enslaver units" can enslave each unit by attacking them. If they are lucky by enslaving, they "transform" the attacked unit to the unit that is set in the enslaver menue of the enslaving unit. This has nothing to do with 0A,0D.

If the "transformed" unit has the sacrifice flag, it can be sacrificed. The cultural benefit from "sacrificing" is proportional to the set cost of shields in the editor for the sacrificed unit.

In CCM, there are no running around great artists, musicians and such kind of units that have no use for the civ they belong to. In CCM units from other civs get attacked by enslaver units and are transformed to cultural persons (great artists, monks) that can be used by the new civ they now belong to.

This is only to give the great artist an eraspecific outfit. The great artist is working without that. If you only mean how eraspecific units are created in Civ 3 there must be one more step that such a unit is working well. There is a tutorial for that at CfC.

Yes, it seems you haven´t realized that.:) In the editor you can assign different buildings to be part one, two and so on of the spacerace. But in CCM this was not done.

12. againsttheflow

Ok, that's much clearer. :) The only thing I'm unsure about is why you would want Era-specific Great Artists--is it so, for example, you could have a swordsman create a monk that was either ancient or medieval looking at the appropriate time?

edit: oh, wait, now I don't understand what the auto-producing SWs are for... :ack:

13. Civinator

A lawyer enslaves a great artist. The great artist uses different graphics for different ages, as Elvis in the renaissance with a microphone in his hand isn´t a proper solution in my eyes. The lawyer does a contract with the unit of the other civ. If the contract fails, he kills that unit (that´s why I call him "dark" lawyer -of course the lawyer also can be killed by that unit).

A missionairy enslaves a christian monk, a buddhist preacher a buddhist monk and so on.

The lawyer, missionairy, buddhist preacher, priest, prophet (and so on) is autoproduced,so each civ only can get a smaller number of these units and also it is a part of the new balance of governements in CCM. For example in a theocracy there are more possibilities to get a religious "enslaver" (missionairy, priest, prophet) as there are in a republic.

The sacrificing and death sounds of course had to be changed, too.

I hope now this is clear. Otherwise you have to wait until CCM is released. :D

14. againsttheflow

Okie doke, thanks for taking the time.
    I am well prepared to do that. :D

15. BadKharma

BadKharma Deity

So I take it you were going for realism ;)

16. Civinator

That´s true. :D

17. Civinator

Here are the era-splashes of CCM.

The Ancient Empires:

The Age Of Discovery:

The Industrial Age:

and the Atomic Age:

CCM is designed to come quicker to the age of planes, aircraft and tanks (with a focus in Worldwar 2) and therefore the ages had to be cut slightly different as normal. One way to achieve this, is of course the techtree. The other is the limitation of the ICS in era 1 and 2 (later more on that).

Attached Files:

18. WildWeazel

WildWeazel -- Turns to Completion

I can already see that our mods are taking different paths. I'm trying to expand the first half of the game to allow more time/turns to use all of the new content- in fact, I'm pushing half of what was the "Industrial" age into the modern era! I'll be interested in seeing what other common and divergent ideas we come up with :)

19. Civinator

Yes, they take different paths. That´s why I wrote, we can enjoy them mutually. :)

Here is the spacerace- victoryscreen for CCM:

20. Gary Childress

Gary Childress Student for and of life

Wow! This mod looks great! With all the new graphics it is almost like a Civ III expansion! Excellent work Civinator! :goodjob: