1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

CDG Series Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by Blatc, Jan 4, 2016.

1. raider980

raider980 Chieftain

I'll give making up a map a try. I'd like to do England if that's ok. Do you all just use the IGE mod on Steam to edit the map?

And are there any pitfalls I should watch out for? Like mistakes that noobs make when creating a map?

2. Grendeldef

Grendeldef Trancerelic

You don't have to necessarily cook the map in any way unless you want something specific. It's just that rolling a nice, interesting and playable map isn't an easy task hence the IGE.
    I have no idea about the cooking mistakes as the Cathy map is first I've touched and even that will be finished by someone else as I like to keep things secret until I encounter them in the game.

Askia map had a lot of everything, too much for my liking but it also had a purpose and achis to spice it up so I'm fine with that occasionally.
    The more seasoned editors might have better tips but everything in moderation seems like a good starting point.

Aztecs
    Carthage // Gren
    Dutch
    Egypt
    England // Raider #32
    Greeks
    India
    Japan
    Mongolia
    Morocco
    Rome
    Siam

Last edited: May 10, 2018
  3. beetle

beetle Chieftain

Thanks for posting. The achievements look excellent! I might even be able to pick up a goodly number of them too!
    I will postpone the next game in my versus series. One game per week is a pretty aggressive schedule!
    The only things I use IGE for are (1) clearing ice near the top and bottom of the map, and (2) deleting Settlers and Workers for the “Lite” versions. IGE can do pretty much anything, but I find it very clumsy and awkward. It eats half the window when it should be coming up in own floating palette. I assume those limitations are because Firaxis is not modern.
    The only problem we ever have ever had was with with achievements that were not very thoughtful.

Last edited: May 10, 2018
  4. Grendeldef

Grendeldef Trancerelic

Goodie. Actually those look more or less ok to me as well. Sure, they are weighted towards wide and/or domination but I didn't like mutually exclusive achis in the past either. Hopefully there'll be other games were the emphasis is somewhere else to cater everyone's taste.

Yup, clearing the ice is something I'm very supportive of even if there're no other alterations with the map. It's just a huge boost to gameplay and fairly quick to do and like few other things there should be an option for it in the UI while rolling a map.

Yup, this. I think one famous example of how-not-to-do-it was Enslingkorp's Shoshone(?) game in the past series. Basically everything in the process went wrong and resulted more rage quits than achis. Not to mock a fellow forum user but to present it as an unfortunate case from the past though I'm hardly impartial here as I was one of the most vocal critics.

---
    Correcting myself right away - it CDG7: Shoshone was in the current series. Time flies as usual.

---

Also the CDG 31 has now the T0 saves and is open for business.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  5. beetle

beetle Chieftain

I am so jealous that you (apparently) have staff!
    Thanks!

6. raider980

raider980 Chieftain

Hmm, I didn't realize achievements were such a big part of the CDG. I guess it was originally for good players that needed something extra? I'm always just trying to survive in a game so I haven't even paid attention to the achievements. And given the way people reacted in that Shoshone thread I'll need some help coming up with achievements.

7. Grendeldef

Grendeldef Trancerelic

As I said earlier when Beetle rebooted the series - I wouldn't worry about the achis. If there'll be some, awesome but if not then, meh, no big deal.

The achis were indeed originally Consentient's brainstorm to get peeps off their comfort zones and doing things a bit differently but with just few of us left I feel pretty comfortable stating that we'll manage few games without them.
    Also, there's no need for having excatly 5 achis each capped @6 points but if you open up the discussion what you want the England game to be like we can offer suggestions but ultimately the choice is yours.

Besides, this is already going much better in general with consensus of who will do and what than that Shoshone map which just came out of the blue.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  8. Grendeldef

Grendeldef Trancerelic

I also have an idea for Genghis but I assume others might be interested in hosting it so I'll be on hold until the Dido game whichever it'll be.

----

Aztecs
    Carthage // Gren, will be friendly towards the UA
    Dutch
    Egypt
    England // Raider #32
    Greeks
    India
    Japan
    Mongolia // (Gren, pure domination)
    Morocco
    Rome
    Siam

If it isn't too much of a hassle the list could be tagged along with the posts where peeps call civs to their future maps or there's detailed information with the CDG # and/or date of releasing the map for public.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  9. beetle

beetle Chieftain

I cannot believe we have not had Aztec in the CDG series yet! They were a lot of fun with my recent Versus game. So I would like to host them, but it will not be for several weeks. (Certainly after Carthage, and my sixth Versus map.) But that is okay, as it will give me time to think of some achievements, and to play test some games. Would a Boreal Lakes map be okay with folks? (See CDG10, Denmark.) I definitely do not want unlocking the UB to be an issue, and I would very much like for the Woodsman promotion to be noticeable.
    EDIT to ask @Grendeldef: Was there a theme to the above set of AI?

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  10. Grendeldef

Grendeldef Trancerelic

Nope, they were a random roll but I put out the list as I knew it anyway and to boost peep's confidence that Shaka was indeed an absentee. Also, I was generally satisfied with that bunch - no psychos but a decent selection of civs generally pushing for different objectives. At least one for dom, culture, piety, expansionist, naval and so on which should open up various avenues for a player to pursue and probably make the players' experiences different from game to game.

I'm fine with Aztecs pretty much on any map at this point - I probably hate the idea of it when I see it but I shall overcome besides WC is probably already going on so for a month I'm most likely a happy camper even if I had to play daily maps were the largest land mass is 2x2 tiles.

Aztecs // Beetle
    Carthage // Gren, will be friendly towards the UA
    Dutch
    Egypt
    England // Raider #32
    Greeks
    India
    Japan
    Mongolia // (Gren, pure domination)
    Morocco
    Rome
    Siam

11. raider980

raider980 Chieftain

IGE is not as good as I was hoping, Beetle you are correct, it is clumsy and awkward. So I probably won't edit the map as much as hoped and it may take me some time for the England map. I wanted to make it a Domination oriented map utilizing the two UU's, Longbow and Ship of the Line. So an achievement could relate to killing civs (or taking capitals) with SotL (i.e. before Battleships).

12. beetle

beetle Chieftain

Agreed, it was set. Nice to see RNG working out!

13. Grendeldef

Grendeldef Trancerelic

Domination is possible on pretty much any map so it doesn't require any cooking in that respect and as for Lizzy some iron surely is helpful so if there's iron anywhere near starting position, fine and if not add one or two somewhere within reach and it's fine for a map especially if/when the ice has been cleared from the coast. The two of my maps where way overcooked for an average series map and unrealistic to assume every map to be like that.

For achis you could browse the early games in the series and achis in those. Some were excellent, some not so much but it shouldn't take too long of a time to see what was well received. Copy and/or modify the better ones, add a twist like turn/time/prerequisite/something along those lines or you can use the achis from the last two games as a baseline if those seem ok - I'm fine with that as seems Beetle which makes us a trio probably forming a majority of whom will finish the game ;)

Post the raw achis here when you have something and we can tune them if needed before starting the game and don't sweat on it, it's just a game after all.

14. raider980

raider980 Chieftain

Should the map be the exact same for regular and lite versions? I've noticed that the only thing people alter is the units and bonuses such as gold. But what about adding more goodies in the terrain for lite?

15. Grendeldef

Grendeldef Trancerelic

The concept is so novel that I don't think there're rules for the Lite version so do what you wish but at some point there's a vague line after which the two version have very little in common rendering the challenge effectively two challenges.
    I think adding some resources, luxes, NWs or some alterations otherwise would be fine and on the other hand I'm not planning to play the Lite versions any time soon so I don't much care about the details.