CFC Model UN - Development Thread

Spain, Sweden, or Canada Pretty please :)

I would totally be OK with being America again.

Right, again, bluntly, I need help designing the thing. Sign ups are fantastic - after all, we need participants - but they don't mean much without some rules and input as to what part(s) of the UN you guys want simulated...

Right, again, bluntly, I need help designing the thing. Sign ups are fantastic - after all, we need participants - but they don't mean much without some rules and input as to what part(s) of the UN you guys want simulated...

Are we going with the rule of talking in third person?

Since it's a forum game virtually none of my experience will be able to help you. Don't really know what else to offer.

I'm not quite sure....what the fun would be for the "game".

@CivEd: I don't think it's necessary to speak the whole time in 3rd-person, but we need to make sure you distinguish which nation you are somewhere in each post

@Sone: It's a diplomacy game. Like Risk is a war game.

Anyways, here is (IMO) a list of things that need to be decided:

Sign-ups: First in line, lottery, or GM discretion?
Scale: What parts of the UN do you guys want included?
Procedure: How do you guys want to format resolutions and discussions?

If you have anything else, feel free to add it, but at least those three things need to be addressed.

If we think we'll have fifteen or fewer players, we could do the Security Council. But then, I'm already beginning to think that doesn't look likely, so I'd tentatively cross the Security Council out. I'd also say we were unlikely to get the whole General Assembly, so that's tentatively out, too. So then, I ask you, what are some groups larger than the Security Council that would be interesting to simulate?

Or, alternative possibility, run multiple councils, either several different ones or duplicates, to try and match the player number.

As for protocol, I'm afraid I don't know a damn thing.

Now I feel somewhat attached to the project :p
Sign-ups: First in line, lottery, or GM discretion?
I think the IRL MUN works with lottery. I think the Veto Powers are often delegated by the host.
Since this is hard on CFC First in line would be good.
Scale: What parts of the UN do you guys want included?
Security council is a must. there should be about 3-4 other parts of the UN, IMO.
Procedure: How do you guys want to format resolutions and discussions?
Writing resolutions the "official" way is a nightmare of formatting (source: personal experience).
Maybe just highlight the points that are important.
Have max 5 people in favour/5 people against, then hold a vote. If polls are possible in social groups use a poll.
I have no idea how to incorporate the rest so far.

Actually Sone's right, MUN was only fun because I got to tell people what to do, and CFCers are generally less derp than normal folks.

Sunup should be fist come first serve, with a touch of GM discretion here and there.

Alright, how about first in line, with the exceptions of making the permanent SC members a sort of lottery?

As for format, I'm cool with the proposal 5/5 for discussion, then voting in a more casual style. Obviously restricted to IC, but first-person is fine by me, so long as you mention somewhere who you represent.

Anyways, as for "fun," IDK. Diplomacy sounded like enough for me, but I suppose we could devise some sort of scoring system? Not sure how we'd handle that, though.

Second post now updated with some tentative sign-up and procedure rules; on the other hand, should resolutions be capped per turn? And how should amendments be handled?

Yes, at five or so.

< face> So you gonna make Security Council or not? </genius face>

RL security council, if you want one of the permanent members, you pick one and enter a lottery for it with all other interested players.

I want to join as Greece.

Top Bottom