Challenge: Earliest Religious Victories

It's funny that you managed to win URV3, but not the Fatimid UHV2.

Here, I reloaded and did it again, this time in 1246, 5 turns after Seljuks collapsed.

Did you settle GP and the Relic at the same turn? :)

Hope this thread is not only for URVs with native religions, so i just post it here...

Conquered Mosul, which has Catholicism, with starting units. After spreading it to Baghdad I convertet, to avoid population loss, as it seems that one loses half of the population by switching from Sunni to Catholicism. Became Kingdom of Mesopotamia, then developed economy and military.
Razed everything in the Levant on the search for Relics, but only found one in Edessa. Then priorized Espionage and found 3 in Constantinople. Conquered it, and razed some more Orthodox cities.
Vassals were Makuria (orthodox), Zengids (shia), Rum (sunni).

Shah Ismail score, 11835 pt.

Spoiler :

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    300 KB · Views: 519
  • Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    195.2 KB · Views: 526
This one should be doable pre-1000AD.
Converted second turn, Shia spread to Baghdad on the third turn, due to the shrine next door. The starting army conquered Mosul, where one spearman was lost, the rest was sent to Byzantine lands. There I conquered all cities without city walls and razed them, and prevented them from improving the land.
Research was Long distance trade, Crucible steel, Education, Engineering, Algebra.
After that it was only spreading Shia everywhere and hiring many, many priests. Great Scientist from Algebra was used for GA for additional GP points. Suleiman Score, 30855 pts.

Spoiler :

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    253.7 KB · Views: 503
  • Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG
    171.4 KB · Views: 517
Went for the cathedrals first, so I conquered Antiocheia, Jerusalem and Alexandria first and built the cathedrals. Then it was the matter of waiting for the crusaders to spawn. And when they did, I quickly bribed them to pleased after which they both vassalised instantly. However, for some reason the URV doesn't trigger..:confused: I think that it is clear that it should. Save is attached.

Spoiler :

EDIT: it finally triggered in 1123.
EDIT2: I reloaded to 1105 and got it to trigger in 1114.
Spoiler :

Edead: I think that the relationship boost due to vassalisation doesn't somehow get calculated in the URV.

Attachments

• Basil II AD-1105.CivBeyondSwordSave
    625.2 KB · Views: 85
It appears the game forces friendly attitude for vassals, even though they are not really friendly - that's why it didn't trigger. After those extra turns diplo bonuses kicked in. Might add an extra condition, like "friendly or vassal". Just to be sure, ever seen a vassal that shows up as Pleased or worse?

That only goes for peace-vassalisation, since capitulated vassals can be furious. So perhaps "friendly or vassal" wouldn't be approriate and I think that it would be too easy as well.

EDIT: it finally triggered in 1123.
EDIT2: I reloaded to 1105 and got it to trigger in 1114.

EDIT(1) wasn't actually faster than my record, although EDIT(2) was. Seems like the time-limiting factor for this URV is really the presence of Friendly Crusader states, not the Cathedrals.

Conquered Edessa and Antioch from start and used my first Great Saint to convert all of Mesopotamia into Orthodox. I took Jerusalem just prior to Fatimid spawn and then Cairo and Alexandria. Then I made peace with the Fatimids and forced them to turn Orthodox. Couple turns later they were ready to peace vassalise, so I liberated Cairo back to them to prevent them from collapsing.

On the Eastern front I also turned Buiyds Orthodox and when the Seljuks spawned I joined Buiyds in their war against the invaders, which soon made them to vassalise as well. Thus I got my five Friendly civs and was ready to take Constantinople, in which (after annoying ten turns of anarchy) I rushed the last Cathedral.

Spoiler :

Seems like the time-limiting factor for this URV is really the presence of Friendly Crusader states, not the Cathedrals.

If you play with a 'natural' Orthodox civ, this is true, but civ like the Abbasids can force other civs to become Orthodox and befriend with them. I am guessing that similar thing could be done with the Fatimids, although I don't know whether there is time to complete the URV before the crusader states spawn anyways.

Took Levant and Hejaz from start and managed to generate 4/7 GPs before the Mamluks spawned. Destroyed the Mamluks and spawned the last two GPs in Cairo and Nobatia; third missing was a GG. Towards the end I vassalised Karamans, Ottomans and Zengids. And that stupid Mansa Musa showed up again.:mad:

Spoiler :

It appears the game forces friendly attitude for vassals, even though they are not really friendly - that's why it didn't trigger. After those extra turns diplo bonuses kicked in. Might add an extra condition, like "friendly or vassal". Just to be sure, ever seen a vassal that shows up as Pleased or worse?

I have seen vassals annoyed, even furious one time (razed too many cities). Liberation helps to improve the attitude...

Pretty straight forward game, killed the Byzantines from start and took 12 cities in Anatolia. Izmir and Constantinople spawned all the great people. Meanwhile I spread Sunni with Sufis and regular missionaries. When I had 4/7 GPs, I sent a small army to take Mecca from Yemen. Since it took some time from them to get there trough the hostile territories, I Managed to get my GPs in Madinah about the same time that my siege started.

Spoiler :

Seems like I have been currently the only one going for the challenge, I need some competition!:D

BTW, Blizzrd you most likely missed my Abbasid Orthodox URV.

Nothing special, punished the Ghaznavids from start and then rolled to India, where one can actually spawn GPs. Majority of them spawned in Multan and I rather built up my other good cities than spawned the GPs in them. Vassalised Gujarat and Malwa and converted all of Hindustan in to Sunni. That was enough to meet the 50% limit, in fact Sunni was at 55%, when my conquests in India where done. Too bad that I didn't have time utilize lengthy Golden Age for more than 8 turns.

Spoiler :

I still think this can be done faster, I never got around to building a good road from Iraq to Mecca. Got a lucky Great Engineer at about 15% odds, very lucky.

Great person order was:
Prophet (Al-Kufar)
Scholar (Baghdad)
Engineer (Baghdad)
Scholar (Baghdad) - Golden Age
Merchant (Baghdad)
Spy (tech)
Artist (Baghdad)
Artist (Baghdad) - spawned just as the URV was about to trigger

To keep the economy ticking over, my starting two Swords and Horseman made a habit of capturing Byzantine cities, massacring the population and then eventually making peace and liberating. Rinse and repeat.

Spoiler :

Spawned only one Great Scholar (GA) in Baghdad before my GP pool became more Great Saint centered. I did the 2/3 UHVs to get the Golden Age and also teched for the free Great Scientist and Asymmetric Warfare (free Great Spy) to get another GA. In the end I feel that there is still lot to improve though. With a reload and some micromanagement I might have gotten the record with score, but as Power of Beer said I think that this can be done pre 1000AD.

Spoiler :

Top Bottom