Champions League, 2007-08

Yeah right... in shooting twice on target to the goal, he must be blamed of the Rangers counter-attack... It makes perfect sense. :hammer2:

Come on, if he's as good as you are talking him up to be, he should've scored there. :p Not that Lyon didn't deserve to win, they were the better team on the day.

Come on, if he's as good as you are talking him up to be, he should've scored there. :p Not that Lyon didn't deserve to win, they were the better team on the day.
Karim Benzema did exactly what he had to do. I'm serious. He created alone an opportunity to shoot, and once he realized he was alone in front of the keeper he has not panicked, he took the time to eliminate the keeper and make sure to shoot on target. No one has seen, or even imagined, that a defender could come back and save the ball on the line.

The guy made an assist on the first goal, he scored twice afterwards, he got multiple shots on target. Benzema has an amazing ability to create huge opportunities when we don't expect them.

I watched the Marseille game (not crypted channel), and it was awful. The UEFA Cup is where they belong. And I bet they won't keep some of their best players (Nasri, Niang, Valbuena, Mananda) for long.

I couldn't watch the Lyon game (crypted channel), and this is just unfair. :mad: I listened to the end of the match on the radio, and it was stressful, especially Benzema and Darcheville's close, lost opportunities. I can only echo Marla's comment that Benzema will become huge in the months/years to come. He's not even 20. If he doesn't burn his wings too young... BTW, Coupet and Cris will be back in February to give Lyon a chance to reach the 1/4. :)

Oh no ...Barcelona. :'(

EDIT: Draw

CELTIC v Barcelona
Lyon v Manchester
Shalke 04 v Porto
Liverpool v Inter Milan
Roma v Real Madrid
Arsenal v AC Milan
Olympiacos v Chelsea
Fenerbahce v Seville

Oh that's gonna burn some.

Some good draws. Celtic Barcelona will be interesting but if we can take a draw at home, Celtic shouldn't have too much trouble. Expect to get pumped at Nou Camp though. But you's should be ok.

Oh good, we can beat the other Milan.....possibly? :cry:

c_h, Joe is a Liverpool fan, so he's referring to the fact that Liverpool lost to AC Milan last year, but are drawn against Inter this time.

Some rather tasty draws there - Arsenal vs Milan is a stand-out for me. Overall, it really reinforces that, for this time at least, it was pretty useful to come top of your group.

nice matches here. :D
How I hope Arsenal will kick out Milan, I really enjoy watching the youngsters this year. Well, with Dida as a goal keeper, there should be a good chance to score some. :mischief:

^^ Theres a draw for the next round as well, anyone can play anyone, except possible teams from their own groups and countries again, but i am not sure.

CH,
Yes i meant Inter! :)

So, the Celtic-Barcelona game was a little disappointing result-wise, but Barcelona are a wonderful bunch of players to watch. Seriously, they were awesome, and sadly for Celtic they took the game very seriously and all ten of their working players worked themselves into the ground. Initially at least though Barcelona had a lot of play, they weren't really doing anything. They went 1-0 down, got a quick goal back, and then went down again. Their heads went down, Celtic nearly made it 3-1 and you had the feeling Celtic might get a comfortable 3 or 4-1 home victory to give them a chance in the second leg (seriously, Barcelona looked so vulnerable at the back). But Caldwell made a mistake outside the box, Henry scored a wonderful goal to make it 2-2 and it was like Barcelona had a new fire of life.

They were amazing. Seriously, the same Barcelona defender passed three consecutive 60-yard balls through loads of Celtic players right onto the chest of Messi in a ten minute spell. Ronaldinho was subbed bringing Barcelona up to 11 players, and they were all over Celtic. It was so frustrating cause you could see from above that Barcelona were only playing with two defenders and weren't gonna cover their full-backs in defensive positions when those guys got back. You knew if Celtic got the ball and kept it they'd get in there, but they could hardly get and keep the ball. Barcelona had something like 700 completed passes in the game compared with like 150-200 for Celtic.

Celtic have no chance now of going through, and Celtic's long run of undefeated home matches in Europe has come to an end. :( Still, they've only lost 2 of their last 32 home matches in Europe, both to Barcelona (1-3, 2-3). And did you know, this season Barcelona had conceded no headed goals until Wednesday, when they conceded two to Celtic? So there's some goodness to take away.

And just to say, Liverpool are really, really lucky. Two late goals saved them from failing to secure an advantage against a team they played for 60 mins with ten-men. It's a shame the referee ruined that game with his stupid decision, as I kinda fancied Inter this year to go all the way. Hard luck!

Yeah, Liverpool made a mountain out of a mole-hill (mine you we have been doing that alot recently), but at least we won, by 2 clear goals, so we should go though now, i hope, i wouldn't put it past them to lose 5-0 next time, the way Liverpool are playing at the moment!

Update.

Quarter final draw

Liverpool - Arsenal

Chelsea - Fenerbahce

Man U - Roma

Barcelona - Schalke 04

The winner of the Liverpool/Arsenal game face Chelsea/Fenerbahce

The winner of the ManU/ Roma game face Barcelona/Schalke.

I feel quite confident now, we beat Arsenal and will (most likely) face Chelsea, who we always beat in the semifinals of cup competitions and then beat Man U/Barcelona/Roma/Schalke for that trophy!

I hope Roma makes up for last time they were playing Man U... :eek:

Update.

Quarter final draw

Liverpool - Arsenal

Chelsea - Fenerbahce

Man U - Roma

Barcelona - Schalke 04

The winner of the Liverpool/Arsenal game face Chelsea/Fenerbahce

The winner of the ManU/ Roma game face Barcelona/Schalke.

I feel quite confident now, we beat Arsenal and will (most likely) face Chelsea, who we always beat in the semifinals of cup competitions and then beat Man U/Barcelona/Roma/Schalke for that trophy!

It seems that is all over for Schalke. I would be really surprised if the manage to beat Barcelona.
Liverpool - Arsenal seems too close to call for me, Man U might have a slight edge against Roma, and Chelsea should have no problems dispatching Fenerbahce. Then again, everything is possible in Football...

Top Bottom