Changing your own civ's leader?

I know most civs change leaderheads when meeting certain conditions but, is it possible to change your own civ's leader in-game?

AFAIK, you only get the leader on your starting menu or when you spawn.

For example, I don't think Frederick is suitable for building and conquering a big, fat, Nazi Europe, and I'd rather not use a Tsar to build a communist regime, and so on.

Last edited:
You could change it through the Python console.

No, you can just do it in the game. Press Shift + ~. Then type for example:
Code:
from Consts import *
pRussia.setLeader(iStalin)
You can look up Consts.py for the variable names for various civs and leaders.

The ~ key is right to the left of the enter key? Because I pressed that combination and nothing happened.

Is there another key that could do that?

Last edited:
What keyboard layout are you using?

Edit: you are supossed to press shift AND the ~ key. Not the plus key.

The ~ key is right to the left of the enter key? Because I pressed that combination and nothing happened.

Is there another key that could do that?
The one left of the 1 (not Numpad), above Tab, and below Esc.

I tried that one. Nothing happened.
I think that you need to enable cheats to do this if you haven't already. Open CivilizationIV.ini (in ...\Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\ or through a link ...\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Beyond the Sword\_Civ4Config) with a text editor and change "CheatCode = 0" to "CheatCode = chipotle".

Is that a joke? Because if it is, I think it's funny.

I'm not sure what you mean? The above will enable the Python console (and some other cheat hotkeys). As for the word "chipotle", I guess that Civ4 devs were making some kind of a joke, although I don't understand it.

To make things a little bit easier, you can omit the lines in DynamicCivs.py containing the method isHuman() (lines 579, 1936). That way, your own leaderhead will also change dynamically like the AI civs. :)

EDIT: Not really completely omit the lines (the method is used as a condition for if statements). Just edit the code such that it does not check if the player is human anymore.

Last edited:
To make things a little bit easier, you can omit the lines in DynamicCivs.py containing the method isHuman() (lines 579, 1936). That way, your own leaderhead will also change dynamically like the AI civs. :)
Ooh, I like this. @Leoreth is there a chance of side effects from such a change?

The diplo music can change when you zoom in on your own cities.

I don't think it will cause any side effects. But you can easily test this. If it does provide any side effects simply revert the change.

Top Bottom