1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Chaos SG

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession Games' started by Munterpipe, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Sharog

Sharog Chieftain

sorry guys, i got nailed by some networm, just formated my pc, will need a skip/swap :S

2. Munterpipe

Munterpipe Clums

Ok Sharog.

Here's the roster then:

Cleaner (munterpipe)
    Pushover (Minion joe)
    SG Breaker (Sharog) skipped
    MicroManager (pindcator) Up
    Tyrant (chriseay) on deck!
    Warmonger (Strauss)
    Automaton (Zalson) skipped until after easter
    Religious Fanatic (chrth)

also Ruff Hi as the prankster
    and open spots are:

The annoying grammarian (open)
    and the [offtopic] guy (Ruff Hi) (until, April 1st)

3. Munterpipe

Munterpipe Clums

Ruff, did you want the [offtopic] spot?
    Can you handle the responsibility of pranking and being [offtopic] at the same time?;)

4. ruff_hi

ruff_hi Live 4ever! Or die trying

I would like to play 1 round as the off topic guy this month then pass it onto some other off topic guy. Hey - if you could muscle me into the roster for this week end that would be grand!

5. Munterpipe

Munterpipe Clums

You're in baby

6. ruff_hi

Does the [offtopic] guy play 10 turns or does he just discuss items that are off topic? If he just discusses things that are offtopic, then I trust that everyone is following the 2nd test match between Australia and the South Africans? The first day was a very interesting match up with honours probably even. Ponting scored a century but SA struck back with some late wickets - managing to remove the night watchman prior to the end of play.

7. Munterpipe

Munterpipe Clums

do you have any pictures?

8. ChrTh

ChrTh Happy Yule!

Or a Foreign Sports to American English dictionary?

9. Munterpipe

Munterpipe Clums

Pindicator isn't making any sound, so I think we'll skip him. Chriseay, you're up with Strauss on deck.

10. ruff_hi

See here for a great catch

Hmm - a translation of cricket to americans is always difficult. I'll try to parallel cricket to baseball for you - assuming that you know baseball :lol:

One thing to understand is that their are variations in cricket matches. You can have a game where each team faces 300 deliveries and tries to score the most runs. This game is over in 1 day. It is called a 1-day match. Teams typically play 5 or 7 in a series (similar to a series in baseball). All 7 are played even if one team has already won 4 (similiar to a regular season 3-game series).

A 5-day match is called a Test Match (reason unknown). Each day, they play for 6 hours (in 3 2-hr blocks). Yes, how can a game go for 5 days and why would people watch it - boggles the mind, doesn't it. Well, this is more a game of pressure with both teams trying to dominate each other and small victories (lots of quick runs or lots of people getting out) adding up to a dominate victory.

Reducing cricket to its essense - you have 1 batter who is facing 1 bowler (pitcher). The bowler must deliver (bowl) the ball with a straight arm (wind mill action - no throwing!!). Typical deliveries bounce before reaching the batter. The batter tries to score runs by hitting the ball anywhere in the field (all 360 degress are fair territory). The bat is made of willow (wood) and has a flat face. The ball is leather and is a little bit larger and heavier than a baseball (but not by much). The distance between the bowler and the batsman is 22 yrs - 66 feet (sound familiar?).

One big difference in cricket is that there is NO offence and NO defense. The team in the field can either be on offence or defense. The team batting can either be on offence or defense. It is purely a function of the state of the game. If the batters are having all sorts of trouble withe the bowlers, then they are on defense and the bowlers are on offence. If the bowlers are hopeless and the batters are scoring at will, then the situation is reversed.

There are ? ways to get a batsman out ...
    • bowled - there are three pieces of wood (called a wicket) in the ground - if the bowler hits them with the ball, the batter is out - similar to a strike out in baseball
    • caught
    • run out (sort of like tagged out) - fielding team hits the wicket with the ball while the batsman is out of his ground (ie off the base)
    • leg before wicket (LBW) - you just cannot kick the ball away while the bowler is bowling to you - you have to hit it with your bat - LBW means that the ball hit you and would have gone on to hit the wicket
    • you hit your own wicket - this happens when you try to hit the ball, and hit the pieces of wood (stumps) - don't laugh, it happens
    • stumped - batsman moves forward to hit a delivery, misses and the fielding team grabs the ball and hits the wicket
    • some obsure ones that I will not mention

In a Test Match, each team gets two innines (Team A bats, Team B fields then it is B Bats, A Fields then repeat). The object is to score more runs than the other team - you do that by scoring alot yourself or restricting the other team from scoring alot. Each team gets to bat until the fielding team has got 10 batsman out (oh - 11 players on each side with 11 people fielding and two batsman batting at any one time).

There is a lot more too it but it would go on and on. Some of the fielding positions have the funniest names - silly mid on, deep backward leg, square leg, first slip, ...

I have a work colleague that had to go to India - he came back a cricket fan!

Australia and South Africa are playing a 3 test match series. This is the 2nd test match. Australia had scored 229 runs but lost 5 wickets (batsman out). A good day for the batting team is over 300 runs so SA restricted the aussie scoring. A good day for the bowling team is 10 wickets (all out) so the aussies didn't bat that badly - hence honours even.

Ricky Ponting (the aussie captain) scored 100+ runs (a century). This is similar to hitting a grand slam. In his career, he has now scored 28 centuries - that is a lot. At one stage Australia had 198 runs for the loss of 2 wickets (198-2). That is really good. They ended the day at 228-5 (lost 3 wickets and only scored 30 runs) - that is bad. A night watchman is too hard to explain.

11. Dantski

Dantski Warlord

So I will instead!

A night watchman is a poor batsman who is used at the end of a days play to see off very few deliveries, and to make sure that the batting team doesn't lose another good batsman before the end of the days play.

12. chriseay

chriseay The Master Trader

Oh my, oh my. Cricket is too complicated for me (and too much like baseball which I love more than any other sport). On playing, I'll hopefully play today. I've got two other games to play this weekend, and I just started playing World of Warcraft, so I could be busy. And besides, I do have to do a few other things besides play computer games! :p:rolleyes:

13. ruff_hi

Ok, so maybe that wasn't that hard after all. This is a quibble, but I would change the first part to ... "A night watchman is the best of your poor batsman who ..."

On other sporting fronts, the commonwealth games just finished today in Melbourne, Australia (quick children, run and get the atlas and find where Melbourne is - and also learn how to pronouce it). If the USA hadn't got upperty about 220 years ago, they could have competed in these games. More details here.

14. ruff_hi

Cricket like baseball - yes and no. I have played both so I can appriciate the differences. One thing that baseball has that cricket doesn't really have is mini-situations. For example, runners on 2nd and 3rd, 1 out, 2 balls and 0 strikes - this situation is totally different from runners on 2nd and 3rd, 1 out, 0 balls and 2 strikes. In the first, the batter can really sit on the next pitch and in the latter, he is just trying to make contact.

Cricket on the other hand is a game where pressure slowly builds on either one team or the other and it is a stuggle for pressure control. You bat differently if you team is 20 runs for 4 wickets compared to 240 runs for 1 wicket.

Ok, so maybe cricket it situational its just that the situations take a long time coming and are usually not the result of a few deliveries.

My next blog will be about american policities, then I will move onto the oil situation.

15. Munterpipe

Munterpipe Clums

I'll get you some first class oil cheap from my Norwegian oil-rig in the northatlantic

16. chriseay

chriseay The Master Trader

The only change I make before I play is to switch research to Civil Service. It is the only thing we need to get before nationalism, and nationalism allows conscription. The tyrant likes conscription almost as much as he likes whipping. :devil:

Turn 1 - I realize I should have upped science last turn, so I do it this turn. It works out better anyway, because two courts just finished. Civil Service will be done in 10 turns. Forges are started in those two cities.

Turn 3 - I spread some religion to some city....we seem to have a lot of them (cities and religions!). Happiness is helpful for whipping. Speaking of, all cities that can be are whipped this turn, as I'm feeling like this is a dull turnset so far. :whipped:

Turn 5 - Catherine declares war on us. This is what she brought:

Turn 6 - I think we'll lose yaroslavl next turn, because since I whipped the turn before the war declaration, so I can't whip a longbow. Her forces may be enough that it wouldn't matter.

Turn 7 - Yaroslavl is captured.

Turn 10 - Well Catherine is coming in both the north and the south. Hopefully the warmonger (I think he's up next) can do better than I did.

17. MinionJoe

MinionJoe Chieftain

Drat! I KNEW I should've baked her a pie or something!

18. Munterpipe

Munterpipe Clums

Don't worry, Joe, cause Strauss and his wardog is going to teach that rude girl a lesson.

Cleaner (munterpipe)
    Pushover (Minion joe)
    SG Breaker (Sharog)
    MicroManager (pindcator)
    Tyrant (chriseay)
    Warmonger (Strauss)up!
    Automaton (Zalson) skipped until after easter
    Religious Fanatic (chrth) on deck

19. Munterpipe

Munterpipe Clums

And you're doing well Chriseay. :whipped: those fools into an unstoppable army.

20. Strauss

Strauss King

Got it, will play tomorrow