1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Cherokee leader?

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by TyrannusRex, Feb 26, 2018.

?

Who would make a good Cherokee leader in Civilization?

1. Attakullakulla

33.3%
  2. Nanyehi (a.k.a. Nancy Ward)

50.0%
  3. Other (please state)

16.7%
  1. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

Not just the Muskogean tribes but virtually all the indigenous peoples of the Southeast are descendants of the Mississippians, including the Cherokee. Most can't be connected with a specific mound site, with a few exceptions like the Chickasaw and Natchez, and indeed most probably don't come from a specific mound site but rather are confederations of post-Mississippian peoples.

TahamiTsunami likes this.
  2. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Unintentionally a feminist.

I don't think it matters whether you can't pin it to just one site or not. Chocktaw, Muskogee and Cherokee populated different settlements and would have different capitals, none of which could be Cahokia, Moundville, Etowah or other cites in the area. Mound Building could however form the base of a Civ ability if you only plan on adding only one of the Mississipian successor civs, leaving no possible overlap. (and there's no reason to add more than one Southeast Amerindian civ) Similar to how Carthage's UA in CiV was "Phoenician Heritage" as there was no Phoenicia Proper that ability could clash with.

3. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

That's probably the best way to handle the Mississippians. Though personally my #1 choice for the Southeast is unrelated to the Mississippians, and that's the Powhatan. But Choctaw would be #2.

4. TyrannusRex

TyrannusRex Chieftain

I couldn't find anything about these "aniwina", which makes me think they might've just taken a word for musket(men) from the Cherokee language.
    The mounted rifles could be cool (because I love me some ranged cavalry), but the reason I was looking for pre-removal uniques is because I could only think of UU/UI related to post-removal/Trail of Tears... which wouldn't really fit well with a pre-removal leader. And I didn't want to use John Ross, because... well... I didn't want to copy someone else's mod beat for beat. Besides that, I figured I could bring to light a historical leader people don't know much about (who just happens to be female), like Nanyehi. (Which I'd argue is what they did with Gorgo. Just because we know little about the real person doesn't disqualify them, Gilgamesh. But I'm digressing.)

5. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Warlord

I LOVE the Sequoyah story, and what he did has to be one of the greatest individual accomplishments in history.

I just don't know that he ever led anything.

6. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

Again, not to downplay Sequoyah's accomplishments which were impressive, but I wouldn't call it "one of the greatest individual accomplishments in history." Creating a script based on other scripts has happened many times in history, and the only things that make Sequoyah stand out are A) that we know his name (Sejong sponsored the creation of Hangul and may have been involved, Mesrop Mashtots is generally credited with creating the Armenian and perhaps the Georgian alphabets, but generally the creators of scripts are anonymous or apocryphal) and B) that he was illiterate (but familiar with the concept of writing). Again, I'm not downplaying the significance of his work, but I don't think it stands out as one of the major accomplishments of human history. And, of course, regardless of his accomplishments, he's still not even in the same category as Gandhi or CdM.

7. awesome

awesome Chieftain

I think he was related to a chief, but, no, he wasn't one himself. My suggestion was more based on notoriety than anything else.