Children and Puberty Blockers, Hormone Therapy, and Gender Reassignment Surgery

Do people know which local civil liberties union will be the one to fight this in court?
Not I. It might depend on who the first claimant is. If a civil liberties organization decides to go after this they might not have standing themselves, so they'd need to find a client to represent.

Clearly a violation of the 8th amendment against cruel and unusual punishment.

The Supreme Court should have no problem striking it down 9-0 if it makes it to law somehow.

Then again, 3 strike laws were invented to grind the 8th amendment into dust. :hmm:

Governments need to stop criminalizing things that are not crimes at all and just stay out of it.

I doubt it goes 9-0, but if you can get them to take it up, guessing they'll still strike a state law that purports to enforce state will outside of Idaho.

Then they'll have only ruled on that and nothing more.

You have a lot more faith in the Supreme Court than I do. The Court stuck their fingers in their ears the last time Texas fragrantly went against the Constitution (regardless on your thoughts on the Texas Heartbeat Act the enforcement mechanism is nonsense) and went “la la la la I can’t hear you”. The same thing will happen here.

The "if" in the sentence you are quoting is the opposite of faith in the bench, at least as I understand how we would be using it here.

Not I. It might depend on who the first claimant is. If a civil liberties organization decides to go after this they might not have standing themselves, so they'd need to find a client to represent.

standing is a bad legal standard and shouldn't be used. i know it is, but i will continue to push back against it.

clients could certainly make a case for damages regarding this, and that's what should be used.

standing is a bad legal standard and shouldn't be used. i know it is, but i will continue to push back against it.

clients could certainly make a case for damages regarding this, and that's what should be used.
I'm not sure what the alternative would be, but I'm not opposed to a reexamination of our whole justice system.

I'm not sure what the alternative would be, but I'm not opposed to a reexamination of our whole justice system.

i'm not opposed to that either, though in this case i don't think it will be hard to show damages as a standard.

Idaho's house just passed HB 675. It passed by a vote of 55-13. It would make providing gender affirming care to trans teens a felony with a life sentence.. Worse... it makes leaving the state with your trans teen to move elsewhere and provide them with care a felony as well. https://t.co/k3jX086h9a
https://twitter.com/ErinInTheMorn/status/1501314842992467975

My employer's headquarters is in Idaho. My CEO told me Thursday that the Idaho House tends to pass this sort of BS and then the Senate stomps on it. Fingers crossed.

Unrelatedly, a federal judge has just blocked Abbott's (and the Texas AG's) guidance statewide.

These kids have plenty enough challenges without politicians sacrificing their care to prop up re-election campaigns. :vomit:

Top Bottom