China - Qin Shi Huang Thread

The only thing mentioned in the video (besides the yields) is that it gives a "defensive bonus", which I assume works like a fort, giving a %-based defensive bonus to units on the Great Wall tiles. If it was a physical barrier (how I would prefer) then I think that would be mentioned.

The only thing mentioned in the video (besides the yields) is that it gives a "defensive bonus", which I assume works like a fort, giving a %-based defensive bonus to units on the Great Wall tiles. If it was a physical barrier (how I would prefer) then I think that would be mentioned.

Yes, this is my feeling too. Crossing an unmanned tile should at least use up all your movement points.

Would be neat if it did something like stop barbarians from entering your territory.

Just noticed that around 1:50 in this video we see Egypt get a 50 % Eureka bonus, so it seems that the bonus for China is simply not incorporated in the UI (yet), meaning that China potentially gets MORE than 50 % as their Eureka. :(

Or, for testing purposes, the eureka moments have been upped. Wait and see...

A movement impediment ("acting like a river") would be very nice for the Great Wall, doesn't look like it at the moment though.

If the great wall can only build on the border, what would happen when the border expand?

In the video she says something like 'you'll need to keep using builders when your border expands' so I guess the wall is static and if you want to extend it you're just expected to keep building more tiles.

I'm not sure if that means that if your borders expand outwards you end up with an outer ring of Great Wall and an inner ring...

Or, for testing purposes, the eureka moments have been upped. Wait and see...

A movement impediment ("acting like a river") would be very nice for the Great Wall, doesn't look like it at the moment though.
We can always hope, but I think they have several times mentioned that Eurekas give "up to 50 % of the tech", and while that "up to" might have been a reference to China as a special case, that's not how it has seemed to me. I guess time will show.

In the video she says something like 'you'll need to keep using builders when your border expands' so I guess the wall is static and if you want to extend it you're just expected to keep building more tiles.

I'm not sure if that means that if your borders expand outwards you end up with an outer ring of Great Wall and an inner ring...

Most likely, how else could they do it? Let's hope the China AI can use it well.

I kinda wish the great wall didnt take up the tile. Allowing you to build other tile imrpovements there. Though i understand choosing where the outside border of the wall would eb hard to manaage.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

We can always hope, but I think they have several times mentioned that Eurekas give "up to 50 % of the tech", and while that "up to" might have been a reference to China as a special case, that's not how it has seemed to me. I guess time will show.

I'd be surprised if were more than 50%, as that already sounds really powerful. But yeah, we'll see.

Also, why does that video page want to run a script from 127.0.0.1? Sloppy coding or the Chinese government spying on us?:scan:

I like the new great wall, very much so. That is what I always wanted, to be able to build it myself exactly where I want it. I absolutely hated it in V. I hated how it looked, the fact that it encircled your lands, even on the coast, and especially the fact that it magically expanded over time. It was absolutely ugly. And I hated how it worked too. Movement penalty in the whole land? Tedious, boring, annoying...

So what kinda defense bonus would the Great wall give?
My hope is that entering a tile with great wall consumes all movement points and if a unit is stationed on a great movement tile it will receive high defense bonus when attacked.

If the great wall can only build on the border, what would happen when the border expand?

Basically, nothing. It's just a tile improvement like a mine etc. I believe you can destroy it, re-build it etc.

I really like the look of the new Great Wall UI. Remember the detail in these videos has to be very brief, so it's very much possible that the Wall gives a movement penalty to enemies. That would be the most logical thing for it to do after all. It'd be cool if you could build it just outside your cultural borders too.

The constant work on it is both, as the video says, true to its reality, and a lot more sensible than Civ V's magically expanding version. It means you can prioritise it to a border with a particularly troublesome enemy, and decide how much to keep in the late game for tourism bonuses. Given the opportunity cost of expending a tile and a builder for each segment, I reckon the defensive and gold boosts will have to be significant.

It's nice also that they have given them a gunpowder UU at last! But the real power of this civ might well be the boost to Eurekas. Given the mini-quest like nature of these, it will incentivise a very adaptable and expansive China in the early game, as they complete one Eureka/Inspiration after another.

Well, after reading impressions here, I am really warming up towards the great wall improvement. Micromanaging your great wall sounds really fun :)

Only things that seems a bit off is how it offers a gold bonus (production could be perhaps more fitting?) and it would be really cool if it would work as a "barricade" (decreasing enemy movement upon treaspassing / giving a strong defensive bonus only in one of its sides). Lots of potential here!

As for the agenda, a protective warmonger (which is what Quing was) is not really an oxymoron. A "create a buffer around your civ" agenda (prone to wage defensive wars!) or a "attack any neighbour who builds wonders" agenda could very well meet these these two objectives. Expand agressively initially (create a buffer zone around your capital / great wall) and then become uninterested in whatever goes outside your initial, vast hinterland. Yep, that's imperial China policy in a nutshell.

One thing I just noticed...

The UA suggests China would receive more bonus from Eureka... 50 precent... Same as every other Video we have seem so far...

Wait... That is because we have only seem Chinese Video with the Eureka so far, that means the 50% Eureka bonus is already buffed, for other civ it could be 30%, 25%, or even a mere 15%! That could change a lot, since the Eureka would be far less tempting than before, players other than China would have more freedom on their gameplay.

I think that they say that Eureka effects are increased 50% for China. Perhaps that means that, while Eureka effects add a 50% increase of beakers for other civs, it is 75% for China instead (meaning a 50% more powerful Eureka bonus).

It's also nice that they're releasing the Japanese and Chinese videos early so that fans in their respective countries get to see them before they go to bed! Also nice for us Europeans not to have to wait til the evening to get our video fix!

On the eureka/inspiration bonus, the up to 50% said before may just means that if you already at 60% of the tech completed when you unlock the eureka, you only get 40%, and so on. China's 50% may mean it gets 50% more by the eureka than others, so up to 75% of the tech cost.

4. Preliminary appearance on China site means Japan reveal likely wasn't a mistake, so the break of "Civ reveal on Tuesday" schedule seems to be intentional. Not sure why, though.

No really a break though, it was release on Tuesday on China time zones. I believe the same logic as Japan applies here: China and Japan are big markets with time zones where it's late night there at the usual video reveal time. So they throw them a bone and reveal the video earlier for them a bit earlier on the same day for their time zone.

If there was an Australian or Korean civ, for example, I could see they doing the same and revealing the first look video earlier too.

Great wall taking full tiles rather than (like river) spaces between tiles... unexpected.

Great animation as always, nice UU and interesting UA.

Looking forward to trying them out!

Top Bottom