China - Qin Shi Huang Thread

Couldn't the Great wall give culture out of workable tiles, like the moais in CiV?

Qin Shi Huang in all his animated glory:
Spoiler :

:) Album of all Leaders announced so far.

I find the background for Qin to be a bit weird - why is it blueish, when all other leaders so far have been redish? :confused:
It makes China look like some haunted mansion...
Imagine if the backgrounds changed if it was night or day, like the actual game.. that'd be cool, and explain the blueish bg

Also, they changed the style, Qin's looks more like an ancient scroll rathern than full screen background like the others.

This is pretty cool. With unstacked cities, the great wall is actually pretty huge in terms of defense if it can keep enemy units outside not only your cities, but your libraries and temples as well. I think it will be much better in civ VI than it would have been in V. I like how you can build and expand it over time, it looks much better than the civ V version, which is a bit boring and doesn't really give the feeling of a wall. It also ties in nicely to the extra worker charge, making it a lot easier for you to spend builders to create a wall. China gets more charges, but also more things to use builders on, which is neat.

The Eureka bonus isn't as game changing, but does sound pretty powerful. The UU is just a standard UU, nothing too special there.

There's something of a stage-like quality to Qin's leader screen - the backdrop is kind of like a painted theatrical set. I like it though.

This China is perfect. Simultaneously fresh, non stereotype China ("collectivism! food!") while being connected to real Chinese history.

Eureka boost - perfect bonus for one of the major scientific civilisations of history, which has countless unexpected/early as hell discoveries and inventions. I hoped for exactly something like that, if there's a civ which should have science bonus, it is China. No more nonsensical warmongering China of civ5 or previous "autocracy! food! much people" stupidities.

Early gunpowder unit - very unique gameplay wise and perfect for historical reasons.

Great Wall - very unique and interesting.

Unique ability - fitting and interesting.

I like how even the most 'basic' civs of c6 are more varied and interesting gameplay-wise than most 'extraordinary' civs of c5 :) :) :)

What I think is interesing about their Eureka bonus is it applies to culture as well as science... So China will be technologically and culturally advanced.

Also, that bonus may decrease in later eras if Eurekas get harder and more speciallized (China could end up stuck in a rut in the Renaissance era (like reality))

This is a huge improvement from the Civ 5 version, which had some strange uniques such as a bonus to great generales (which I don't think is a defining characterstic of this nation), the zhuge nu and a paper maker :confused:
In defense of Civ5 China (though I found it too "narrow" as well), domestic warfare was quite remarkable in Chinese history - those Warring States, Three Kingdoms, and 12 (!) dynasty switches happened for a reason. And paper maker's power lies more in the fact that it was a small gold-generating machine which is perfect for maintaining a large amount of units - Chu-Ko-Nus, for example. It wasn't the best representation of a diverse China, but it was one hell of a synergistic civs in the game.

I find the eureka bonus to be really interesting because it is not a straight up science bonus but rather a bonus to techs and civics conditional on players getting the eureka or inspiration. The player still needs to do the action to get the eureka or inspiration to use this bonus.

The opportunity cost of placing the GW is indeed great - or is it?

As long as you can use mountains and sea to your advantage (see image), you can potentially use the GW to block a bad neighbour with only one city, leaving the rest of your empire protected and allowing you to concentrate your forces.

That doesn't even take into account the culture and gold bonuses for the GW, of course. I'm finding China more and more appealing.

Spoiler :

UU possible confirmation of saltpeter resource?

Also, caught the GW tooltip - it's just +1 gold. Pretty meh, but considering we haven't seen a general gold-generating TI yet it could be handy (and if TRs are like BNW it means stronger international TRs).

UU possible confirmation of saltpeter resource?

Also, caught the GW tooltip - it's just +1 gold. Pretty meh, but considering we haven't seen a general gold-generating TI yet it could be handy (and if TRs are like BNW it means stronger international TRs).

Well, Iron was required for Cannons at one point in Civ 5 no?

Top Bottom