• Isabella I of Castile (Spain)

Votes: 40 31.7%
  • Ivan the Terrible (Russia)

Votes: 32 25.4%
  • Kangxi Emperor (China, Qing dynasty)

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • Khosrow I (Persia)

Votes: 28 22.2%
  • Kublai Khan (China/Mongolia, Yuan dynasty)

Votes: 35 27.8%
  • Louis XIV (France)

Votes: 35 27.8%
  • Napoleon Bonaparte (France)

Votes: 46 36.5%
  • Otto von Bismarck (Germany)

Votes: 50 39.7%
  • Ramesses II (Egypt)

Votes: 43 34.1%
  • Sejong the Great (Korea)

Votes: 17 13.5%
  • Tokugawa Ieyasu (Japan)

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • William of Orange (England/Netherlands/Scotland)

Votes: 29 23.0%
  • Wu Zetian (China, Tang dynasty)

Votes: 28 22.2%
  • Yongle Emperor (China, Ming dynasty)

Votes: 21 16.7%

• Total voters
Johann De Witt (Netherlands)
Djoser (Egypt)
Charles XII (Sweden)
Piye (Nubia)
Olga of Kiev (Russia)
Abd al-Malik ibn Marwan (Arabia)
Philip Augustus (France)

I would like to see Samudragupta,I think Gupta period was most important period in Indian Golden age history.
Nd probably Samudragupta was quite into culture,so some push to India in terms of cultural victory.I belive it would be more fair to give India cultural angle rather than religion one.

Last edited:
Here are my choices and thoughts:

- Abd al-Malik ibn Marwan: I think he'd be pretty interesting as a more trade and governmental focused leader for Arabia.
- Akbar the Great: A highly successful and charismatic leader who could bring some nice Mughal flavor to India. There's plenty of potential for his abilities. It also helps that India is one of those civs that I don't think most of us would mind getting a third leader.
- Djoser: Egypt could definitely use an ancient era leader and Djoser is a very strong choice for one. I could easily see him having Imhotep as a unique governor and bonuses towards productions and building wonders.
- Elizabeth I: England may already have plenty of leaders but Elizabeth I is such a big personality leader with plenty of potential for abilities that I can overlook it for her.
- Kangxi Emperor: China could use more leaders and Kangxi has so many achievements that he'd be an easy choice and a top contender. Wu would be cool too but I'd like Kangxi more.
- Khosrow I: I personally wouldn't mind having Cyrus being a Persian leader in possibly all future installments. However, I'd also want them to have a leader from a non-Achaemenid time and a Sasanian alt leader would be my preference. Khosrow I would be a great choice for all of his achievements and legacy. Bonus points for his gains from Justinian, having a great story always helps!

- Otto von Bismarck: He does a great job of representing a different era of Germany and its hard to turn down someone known as 'the Iron Chancellor'!

Other leaders I would've picked from this list:

- Alfred the Great: He could give England a stronger early faith focus.
- Catherine the Great: Although she is quite similar to Peter, there is potential for other focuses such as spamming settlers or great people, etc. Ivan would of course be a fun leader to have!
- Charlemagne: I wouldn't mind seeing him as an alt leader for France and Germany, especially since I wouldn't want us to have the Holy Roman Empire as its own civ anymore.

- Harun al-Rashid: He could've been interesting too but Saladin appears to basically fill his role (unless you'd want Harun to have more of a diplomatic focus).
- Huayna Capac: I think you could find ways to differentiate him from his grandfather Pachacuti, perhaps more of a conquest and loyalty bonus.
- Louis XIV: How could I not mention the Sun King!?
- Ramesses II: He'd be a cool ancient era leader too but I'd pick Djoser over him due to the potential for a unique governor.

Other leaders I would've picked that weren't on this list:

- Senusret III: As welcome as Djoser, Ramesses II, or Hatshepsut could be, Senusret III would be my top choice for Egypt's next leader. His military and economic successes alone are praiseworthy, let alone being worshiped as a god by his enemies during his lifetime!
- Mandukhai: I actually wouldn't mind for Genghis to lead Mongolia in future installments. Kublai would interesting to lead both Mongolia and China, but, for a Mongolian alt leader, I'd prefer the woman that reunited the Mongols and gave birth to twin sons on the field of battle.
- An Arabian leader based on the Arabian peninsula: An Arabian leader like Umar would be cool but I'm not actually not sure which early Islamic leaders would be allowed or not.

I personally wouldn't mind having Cyrus being a Persian leader in possibly all future installments.
If we're going to stick with the eternal Achaemenids, I'd pick Darius II. We know more about him than we do Cyrus, especially since Darius was a man who loved to talk about himself. :p

If we're going to stick with the eternal Achaemenids, I'd pick Darius II. We know more about him than we do Cyrus, especially since Darius was a man who loved to talk about himself. :p

I'll be sure to look up more about him, he does at least sound interesting! I'll admit that I can be quite the sucker for a leader with a good story (probably one of the reasons I really don't mind Cleopatra) and the rise of Cyrus and Persia is certainly quite the story. That and I'd certainly like to see a better portrayal of him than as the backstabber that Firaxis made him to be in this installment.

I'll be sure to look up more about him, he does at least sound interesting! I'll admit that I can be quite the sucker for a leader with a good story (probably one of the reasons I really don't mind Cleopatra) and the rise of Cyrus and Persia is certainly quite the story. That and I'd certainly like to see a better portrayal of him than as the backstabber that Firaxis made him to be in this installment.
I think you'll like his story then. He accused the crown prince of being a magus who murdered the real crown prince and took his place. Many scholars believe that he fabricated this story and then built up Cyrus's legend and his supposed descent from Cyrus to reinforce his legitimacy as shah after usurping the throne. He also mentioned his honesty a little too often for an honest man--"Methinks the lady doth protest too much." :p Whether he was a usurper or really did foil a plot to seize the throne, he was a man who never undervalued a little royal propaganda, and he had a rare talent for humble-bragging. If I recall correctly he also makes the first reference to Ahura Mazda in Achaemenid Persia, though the relationship between the Achaemenids and Zoroastrians is unclear--it's the Arsacids and particularly the Sassanids who were the first to be clearly and explicitly Zoroastrian. (Cf. references to YHWH and El in Canaan and Aram outside of Judaism.)

I think you'll like his story then. He accused the crown prince of being a magus who murdered the real crown prince and took his place. Many scholars believe that he fabricated this story and then built up Cyrus's legend and his supposed descent from Cyrus to reinforce his legitimacy as shah after usurping the throne. He also mentioned his honesty a little too often for an honest man--"Methinks the lady doth protest too much." :p Whether he was a usurper or really did foil a plot to seize the throne, he was a man who never undervalued a little royal propaganda, and he had a rare talent for humble-bragging. If I recall correctly he also makes the first reference to Ahura Mazda in Achaemenid Persia, though the relationship between the Achaemenids and Zoroastrians is unclear--it's the Arsacids and particularly the Sassanids who were the first to be clearly and explicitly Zoroastrian. (Cf. references to YHWH and El in Canaan and Aram outside of Judaism.)

Ah, I'm sure you mean Darius I instead of Darius II then! I was looking up Darius II and saw that the most compelling thing he did that I could find was start a war with Athens and side with Sparta (not to say that its boring, but it didn't sound like what you described, that story you told then clicked with me as the first Darius' story). Darius I would definitely be a fantastic choice that I could get behind. Regardless of if its true or fabricated by him, his story is quite compelling and a humble-bragging leader would be quite fun! However, I would personally like to see a really great portrayal of Cyrus before he retires for a bit for Darius. Its the same reason why I'd like to see a MUCH BETTER portrayal of Montezuma I before a different Aztec leader replaces him in a future game, I want his 'last appearance' to be a high note rather than a not-so-fond memory that's better forgotten.

I had thought that the Achaemenids were definitely Zoroastrian but I didn't realize it wasn't clear. I definitely prefer to have a Sasanian ruler as an alt Persian leader regardless so Zoroastrianism can still be in.

While we're on the topic of Persians, I've got the chance to see just how different their crowns are. Cyrus' current crown is rather modest but he apparently has other options such as this one, this almost Cleopatra-styled one, and this....unique monstrosity! I imagine that a Sasanian ruler would have a few options too.

Ah, I'm sure you mean Darius I instead of Darius II then!
Right, I got his number confused with Cyrus, who was Cyrus II.

However, I would personally like to see a really great portrayal of Cyrus before he retires for a bit for Darius. Its the same reason why I'd like to see a MUCH BETTER portrayal of Montezuma I before a different Aztec leader replaces him in a future game
Yes to both.

I had thought that the Achaemenids were definitely Zoroastrian but I didn't realize it wasn't clear.
Yes, the Achaemenids invoked Ahura Mazda, but they also invoked other gods as well.

Cyrus' current crown is rather modest but he apparently has other options such as this one, this almost Cleopatra-styled one, and this....unique monstrosity!
The first crown appears to be based on Mesopotamian crowns. The second is also reminiscent of Babylonian crowns. As for the third, I wouldn't take it any more literally than the symbols Egyptian gods wear on their heads...

Romulus - pure seafaring, pastorism
Aureliano - pure republican, culture boost.
Ceasar Augustus - Great army genearal, colonial expansion, dictatorship alike.
Caracalla (one of the Roman's Black emperor) - city builder, the Baths of Caracalla
Scipio Africanus - Expansionist, science boost, link to Arab world.

Arminius - Germany obviously
Giovanna D'arco - France
Akbar - Arabs

Last edited:
Of the choices above, I prefer Charlemagne. My choice would be Constantine (Rome/should already be in the game Byzantines)

I was thinking it was the mythical founder of Rome. He would stand out too regardless.
No doubt, but Romulus the mythical founder of Rome isn't even in the same category with Gilgamesh (who existed) or Dido or Hiawatha (who probably existed). Whereas Romulus Augustulus certainly existed and certainly handed over his crown to the Germans, which was not exactly the high point of Western Roman history. :p

No doubt, but Romulus the mythical founder of Rome isn't even in the same category with Gilgamesh (who existed) or Dido or Hiawatha (who probably existed). Whereas Romulus Augustulus certainly existed and certainly handed over his crown to the Germans, which was not exactly the high point of Western Roman history. :p
Given that the Western Roman Empire's last years reminded a royal soap opera filled with betrayals, coups, puppets, barbarians, decadency and sackings of Rome instead a mighty civilised Empire like its Eastern counterpart, I'm currently struggling to decide whether the ending Western Roman Empire by Romulus Augustus and Odoaker wasn't actually a good thing :p

Casimir for Poland is too close to jadwiga. i would rather pick someone from golden century or around, Jan III Sobieski, Stefan Batory or kings before Casimir, Wladyslaw Łokietek deserves it for sure or Bolesław I.
To open up diplomatic game for poland, the secong female king of Poland, Anna Jagiellon, can join. Many diplomatic action around this period including bringing swedish dynasty to polish throne. I already see unique ability of getting uniques from highest allied leader ;]
It would be also nice to give common leader to Hungary and Poland because of everlasting friendship between two nations, but Jadwiga is in game and introducing her father would be strange

I definitely agree Germany need second leader and it can be Charlemagne, but I would prefer someone post-HRE, Bismarck makes the mot sense.

Sweden has leader for culture victory and this is the last thing I could expect from Sweden. Introducing common king from kalmar union to Sweden and Norway can make both civs more flexible.

I want also common Kublai Khan for Yuan/Mongolia. Who cares failes oversea invasions. There are many achievemants during his reign that last till today! (banknotes?). Of course haevile trade related abilities.

As for Romans, I would gladly see it merged with Byzantium with a common leader.

Also phoenicia deserves to get Hannibal for more war oriented game

And definitely Anna Stuart should join Scotland and England, because Robby Bruce is meh

Last edited:
I think the main thing to focus on with alternate leaders is to represent a different historical period of a long-lasting civilisation, and/or a very different gameplay focus.

My picks would be:

Aztecs - Nezahualcoyotl. The king of Texcoco and progenitor of what would become the Triple Alliance, he was also a poet and gives a more cultural slant (as well as a leader not called Montezuma) to the Aztecs.

China - Kangxi Emperor. Lots of choices here, but I like Kangxi because he represents a period of Chinese history that hasn’t been featured in Civ before. We’ve had Classical, medieval and Modern leaders, but Kangxi is a good Renaissance choice. Yongle would be a good pick here too, but he would make a good builder similar to Qin, and Zheng He is already an admiral.

Egypt - Amenhotep III. It’s criminal that we don’t have an Old or New Kingdom pharaoh, especially given the general paucity of ancient leaders in general. Lots of good candidates, obviously, but I wanted a builder and a slightly less familiar name than Hatshepsut or Ramses II.

Persia - Khosrow I or Abbas (preferably both!) Achaemenids are not the Only Persians and it’s time to see a medieval or renaissance version of Iranian civilisation.

Rome - Constantine I or Justinian I, with a religious slant. While the later Byzantine empire represents too great a shift to bridge with an alternate leader for Rome, Justinian was very much at heart still a late “Roman Emperor” in the style of Constantine. The early empire gets all the focus, but the late empire and the empire’s turn towards Christianity had an important legacy for medieval Europe to follow.

Charlemagne! A striding Emperor of Holy Roman Empire. he ruled when France and Germany were a single country and seated in Aachen.
Capitol will be Aachen no matter what he leads.
Ability: Palatinate
His UU will be Paladin. A knight that heals all player owned units nearly. also heals self faster than usual. it belongs to him no matter what civ he leads. Purchaseable by Faith as as well as regular training. (Requires holy site+temple and encampment in the same city)
Personal Agenda
- Devout
- Happy subjects (That's an idea of Chivalry)
- Protector (Leave CS to him or he'll be p___ed off. Just like Frederick Barbarossa)

Ivan The Terrible (Boris G.... called him 'The Mighty').
Ability: Conquest of Kazan (10-turn wonder construction boost in all owned cities after conquest of big city)
UU: Streltsy (What should they be? Musketmen or Pike and Shot? but superior defense and can swing poleaxes as well, earns more boosts with support units (Ram and Tower) than usual (more ranged defense if linked with the two) )
Personal Agenda
- Devout
- Fonds of big army.

I don't know about Djoser
Geroge Washington
Ability: Continental Army
UU: Either Long Rifleman (recon choice that comes early), or Heavy Frigate (Superior to frigate, but more expensive. one regular unit has a firepower equals to two frigates combined into one fleet)

Actually i'd go for Civil War leaders (Lincoln and Davis. both can exists in the same game and if generated, must begin near each other)

French i'd go for Louis XIV 'The Sun King'. Unless the GG choice is changed. (Napoleon I is now GG choice as in Civ3. Jean d'Arc (who was a leader of France in C3) is now Medievel GG), if so i'd like to see Anthony Wayne in his place.

China: I'd go for Yong Le. (AFAIK I think he's a man who sent Zheng He to the seas).
UU: 'The Treasure Fleet' (A giant sail ship with eight masts, this thing appears with Carthography or Military Engineering)

https://www.boatus.com/magazine/2013/august/the-greatest-explorer-you-never-heard-of.asp

Last edited:
Given Eleanor’s dual civ status, Kublai Khan seems a likely choice for both Mongolia and China.

And definitely Anna Stuart should join Scotland and England, because Robby Bruce is meh
If you're going to pick a Stuart, at least pick the one who was neither boring nor a dismal failure--which reduces the options to just James I, because Charles I, Charles II, and James II were dismal failures and Anne was boring. :p

Actually i'd go for Civil War leaders (Lincoln and Davis. both can exists in the same game and if generated, must begin near each other)
Why Jefferson Davis who never actually led the U.S. but the Confederate states, which in itself is considered controversial?

Top Bottom