• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Chronicles X: The Fate of the Philosopher Kings

As the Philosopher King counter-attack began, Kudrov found himself with no sound means of escaping back to Russian-held Kumbi Saleh. Bombers had knocked out all remaining roads and he had ordered all the rail lines destroyed. He joined the other surviving officers on horseback, fleeing with the Cossacks who had served as camp patrols during the long siege. Their flight, though, was followed hard upon by Philosopher King tanks.
Helicopters swarmed overhead—booming calls to surrender on the fleeing horsemen. Futilely, some of the men fired their rifles at the approaching armor.
“Fools, don’t—“ Kudrov tried to say, realizing only a thread of mercy from their enemy was keeping them alive. He was cut short as the tank pursuing them fired into their midst. The poor animal beneath him was spun like a rolling pin by the blast, and the General found himself whipped into the air like a dervish, crashing down on hard earth, after which the world went black.

The last reinforcements to the east were ravaged from the air at once.
The Russian tank crews tried to prepare a defensive formation, calling on their helicopters for support, but the Philosopher King bombers had disrupted all their fuel supplies. The Russian force could not ready itself for the oncoming Philosopher King assault.
As a line of tanks emerged from Far Colony—shimmering green in the bright noon-day sun—the badly organized Russian forces tried to flee back toward the coast. Some men left their vehicles and dove for cover.
A few tanks tried valiantly to resist the push of fresh troops from the city, but those few were soon reduced to smoking metal.

Many of the once-fearsome Russian helicopters were caught on the ground as the Philosopher King armor rolled over the Russian forces in the east.
As the tanks moved in, several did take flight.
They swooped toward the Philosopher King armor, firing missiles. One tank was struck dead on and burst into a mass of blue flame.
But as the successful Russian gunship positioned itself to attack again, a tank shell connected with its canopy and disintegrated it, sending its rotors flying in all directions like bits of tin.

General Kudrov slowly opened his eyes to the clean, white light. He tried to move, but learned that there were painful attachments keeping him at bay. Something was attached to his left arm. He tried to reach with his right, but found that something cold and metallic bound his right wrist.
He tried to look around the room. His eyes adjusted as he lifted his head and he realized he was in a hospital bed. Machines were beeping around him and a young man in a Philosopher King uniform sat by the door.
The soldier noticed him regaining consciousness and he pulled a radio microphone to his mouth and said something. Otherwise, he just sat there staring.
Kudrov saw there was another patient in the room. This man's face was not visible, but he did not seem awake.
The door opened and a doctor came in. His face was stern as he approached Kudrov's bedside, peering down at a thin, tablet-like computer.
He waited for the doctor to say something, but instead the man went about checking the instruments monitoring him.
“Where am I?” Kudrov asked.
“You are in a hospital, General.”
“You speak Russian?”
“I’ve had the opportunity to learn. Thanks to your invasion, I’ve treated many Russians over the last two years.”
“You’re a military doctor?”
“No, but my regular hospital is in Kubli Saleh, so I’ve been working with the military since evacuating.”
“What’s your name?”
“Radamanthos,” he answered.
“You should have stayed, Dr. Radamanthos. You have nothing to fear from us,” the General said, trying to be magnanimous. He looked up and saw the doctor’s lip turn up in disgust.
“Ah, I see,” the General said.
“See what?”
“You hate us.”
“No,” Radamanthos answered, shaking his head but not looking up from the computer.
“Come now, it is natural enough to hate one’s enemy. Especially a superior foe who has beaten you.”
“Beaten?” the doctor replied, looking up. “You’re lying in our hospital, General,” he said with derision.
“Still, it is only a matter of time. We have already occupied part of this island. The rest will fall.”
“Since you’ve been unconscious for a few days—by the way, you can thank us for the surgery that saved your life—let me bring you up to date, General. Your forces around Far Colony have been smashed. Your last invasion fleet has been sunk. It’s you who’ve been beaten.”
“Kumbi Saleh?” the General remarked snidely.
“Only a matter of time,” the doctor retorted. “I’ll be back at my old job in a month, if not sooner.”
“And you say you don’t hate me?”
“I don’t,” he answered. “I have better things to do.”
The General scoffed.
“I should though,” Radamanthos continued.
“Should what?”
“Hate you. I wish I could.”
“And why is that?”
Radamanthos stared the General in the eye with an intensity which the haggard old warrior was not accustomed to. “You killed the woman I love.”
“I—“ the General stammered.
“She was a doctor. One of your helicopters hit the field hospital with a missile. It killed one hundred and twenty people. Sixteen doctors. Twenty-two nurses. Eighty-two patients. Forty-three of them Russian.”
“People die in war,” the General answered.
“It’s your war, General. It’s our tragedy.”
“You Philosopher Kings are so naïve, so childish,” he moaned. “Blaming us for the tides of war. Can you really hold me responsible?”
“Who gave the order for the attack?”
“I had my orders. It was a matter of national security. Conflict was—“
“Save it for your trial, General,” Radamanthos said as he walked over to the other bed. “I’ll be there,” he added over his shoulder.

Things you shouldn't do when lying in a hospital recovering from severe wounds: Antagonating a doctor once oppressed by you:)

Good story behind the events in the game.:goodjob:

“Save it for your trial, General,” Radamanthos said as he walked over to the other bed. “I’ll be there,” he added over his shoulder.
There's that trial thing again. Just like with the French!

It is amazing what a few (define: alot) of bombers can do to an invasion force! Teared them to tiny pieces! It looked hopeless, and a lot of bomber stricks, those Stacks of Doom (tm) are ready to topple!

Oh, and good story, to.

ToV said:
There's that trial thing again. Just like with the French!

It is amazing what a few (define: alot) of bombers can do to an invasion force! Teared them to tiny pieces! It looked hopeless, and a lot of bomber stricks, those Stacks of Doom (tm) are ready to topple!

Oh, and good story, to.

That's really what did it, that huge stack of Stealth bombers I brought in...well, plus I was airlifting units from the mainland. It would've been no trouble if I'd known to rush my airport in Far Colony to give me unlimited airlifts from the homeland. Instead, I kept rushing gunships every turn. Oh well, it worked out.

And the idea of putting invaders on trial is just to show that the Philosopher Kings don't recognize war as an acceptable behavior for states to engage in...at least not in THIS game. ;)

I'm at work...with not much to do. I think I'll write up the next few parts, clear to the conclusion, and post them tonight when I get the file numbers for the screenshots.

Thanks, the end is near...

It would've been no trouble if I'd known to rush my airport in Far Colony to give me unlimited airlifts from the homeland.
Strange. I always thought that you could only airlift one unit per turn. At least that is my experience.

let me guess?

...Kudrov was sentenced to life in prison and they all lived a happy life with many children, the end.

right?

ToV said:
Strange. I always thought that you could only airlift one unit per turn. At least that is my experience.

You can only send one unit per turn from a city, but apparently a city with an airport can receive as many as can be sent.

At least, that's what another thread says. All I remember is that I couldn't airlift all the units I wanted to.

phoenix_sprite said:
let me guess?

...Kudrov was sentenced to life in prison and they all lived a happy life with many children, the end.

right?

I never really gave it much thought. Let's see...I kind of think that the Philosopher Kings would just convict and deport them, you know, kind of put them on trial out of principle. Unless they were guilty of atrocities--like burning my farms, you stinking Russians!

Wait...what was I saying?

Anyway, now I'm ready to --dah, dah, dum-- end this once and for all.

The streets of Kumbi Saleh were quiet—the Russian curfew kept the anxious citizenry indoors most of the time. Despite their best attempts, the occupation forces had not persuaded the citizens to resume normal economic activity, so only the troops moved about freely.
At the far end of the main boulevard which serviced the city center but also lead into the countryside that stretched toward Far Colony, a lonely radar truck kept watch. Most of its crew dozed lazily outside the vehicle, while one operator sat in the uncomfortably hot confines gazing blankly at an empty screen.
The commander of the radar unit picked lazily at his fingernails in the shade, while the man beside him swatted continually at the mosquitoes pestering them.
“Sir!” a voice from inside the truck boomed. The youngest soldier—who had been shafted with the duty of watching the screen during the hottest part of the day—came dashing out. “I saw it! I saw a blip.”
“A blip?” the commander asked, refusing to stir.
“Yes, they’re coming!”
“What’s the bearing?”
“You know there’ll be no bearing, sir. All we ever can hope to get off those stealth bombers of theirs is a stray blip.”
“You probably tracked a big bird or something.”
“They’re coming!” he repeated emphatically.
“Bombers?” he asked in disbelief. “You think the Philosopher Kings would send bombers against their own city? They’d never do that. The lives of these pissants are more important to them than winning the war.”
“They’ve already won the war,” the mosquito swatter said absently.
“Like hell they have!” the commander objected.
“They’ve smashed all our forces at Far Colony,” he replied. “Kudrov is dead. It’s over.”
“You don’t know that. Kudrov might still be out there.”
“If he is, then he’s been captured and he’s giving up everything he knows right now.”
“They’d never break him.”
“They don’t break people. They seduce them.”
“We haven’t lost the war,” the commander repeated. “And bombers are not coming.”
It was not long, though, before they heard the first sounds of jet engines high in the sky above them, hidden by the glean of the sun, followed shortly by the reverberations of falling bombs throughout the city.
The crew sprung to life, manning their various stations inside the truck, trying desperately to help coordinate defensive action. Without their own airwing, though, there was precious little that the Russian forces could do against the Philosopher King bombers.
“I don’t understand,” the commander complained. “I would have never expected them to bomb their own population.”
“Sir,” the young soldier said, pulling away his radio earphones. “They’re not.”
“What do you mean? They’re not hitting targets inside the city?”
“No, sir, they are. But that’s all they’re hitting. Reports on the radio say they’re pinpoint targeting our vehicles and reinforced positions. Nothing else.”
“How is that—“
“Some sort of smart-bombs,” the mosquito swatter hypothesized. “We know they have sophisticated targeting capabilities. They could even be sending bombing coordinates from orbit.”
“Orbit?” They looked up, as if they could see through the roof of the truck up into the heavens where unknown Philosopher King instruments peered down on them. “What’re they hitting?”
“It’s hard to say, sir. I’m guessing command and control because the radio chatter is completely disorganized.”
“It’s a safe bet that by the time their ground forces get here, all we’ll have left is infantry.”
“But there aren’t any ground forces,” the commander objected. They had the same thought as he said it though, and all the men busied themselves setting the radar dish to sweep the ground.
They watched carefully, as bombs continued to fall. Then, the bombs stopped. The walls of the oven they were trapped in became still and the radio chatter calmed down.
“Sir?”
“Yes?”
“We should get out of this truck.”
“You know—“
Too late to save them, he looked down at the screen and saw contacts appearing at the edge of their radar range. Too late, he heard the Philosopher King bombers coming in low, for their finale pass.

By dusk, the Russian marines were all that remained of the defensive forces. Philosopher King tanks and airpower had swept in after the bombers had reduced the Russian mechanized infantry to disorganized bands spread throughout the city.
The marines fled from their dug-in positions in the outskirts as night began to fall on the city. In small cadres, they took up positions in the buildings near the center of the city.
Fighting continued through the night.
One small band heard an eerie quiet fall on the city. The lieutenant who commanded the platoon looked through the window of the third story where they had taken up positions, trying to see what was happening in the streets below. He heard the distant rumblings of vehicles moving through the city. Occasionally, the quiet of the night would be peppered by automatic weapons fire, but it never lasted.
“Here they come!” he announced when he spotted the dark shape of a Philosopher King tank coming up the street.
The men readied their weapons. Each pulled a grenade from his belt.
The tank, though, stopped at the end of the street. The turret began to move.
“Wait a second!” the lieutenant gasped. “What kind of building was this.”
“What?”
“This whole area is commercial,” he continued. “There’s nobody else in these buildings. They’ll spot us on infrared. Clear out!”
The men started to fumble to their feet and move away from the windows—but a tank shell pounded through the wall before they could escape.

By noon the following day, the blue-green banner of the Philosopher Kings flew again over Kumbi Saleh.

The generals and various official entered, obviously trying to suppress smiles as they squeezed into the office. Helmling looked up with wary eyes.
“Good news, sir.”
“Yes?”
“We have secured Kumbi Saleh,” the Defense Minister said proudly.
Helmling sighed. “Casualties?”
“Minimal.”
“The civilian population?”
“We’re advising them to stay in their homes for the next forty-eight hours. We’ll distribute food, but we want to sweep for unexploded munitions before trying to get the city back to normal.”
“Excellent, well done, general,” Helmling replied. He stood and walked around his desk. “It’s over then.”
“Sir?” one of the generals replied with alarm. “The Russians—“
“The Russians will accept our terms for peace.”
“But they—“
“We’re about to send them, and everyone else, a message.”
“I don’t understand.”
“I just received word,” Helmling said as he raised a wireless computer pad from his desk. “They’ve completed the last casing and thruster tests on the Argo. Our starship is complete.”
“I don’t see what that has to do with the war.”
“Power. The Russians understand power. We’re about to demonstrate ours. I’ve told orbital control to prep the ship. She’s going to light her main drive and do a few laps tonight.”
“Laps?”
“Around the planet,” he replied. “Tonight the brightest star in the sky will be ours. Every man, woman, and child who looks up will understand, finally, the power of the Philosopher Kings.”
“Yes, sir.”
The men and women began filing out of the small office. One paused, though, to address Helmling before going.
“I’m sure the standing crew on the Argo can handle this assignment, but if the ship is going to space, then there’s one post that hasn’t been filled. She needs a captain.”
“I know. I have someone in mind.”

A Cease-fire had already been called by the time Helmling strolled out of the Palace, just before dawn. The peace talks would take time to organize. A neutral site had to be chosen, since all the military leaders of Russia were under indictment in the Philosopher King courts and none wished to surrender themselves to the judicial branch of the Philosopher King government.
The city was quiet as he stepped out of the rotunda. The Globe Theater had gone dark hours before, its players all spent and its audience satiated. Even the music district—which was these days reveling in genres that sounded a lot like rock n’ roll—had sent home its patrons and artists and quieted in to slumber through the day until the shows and concerts would begin anew at the next twilight. A few joggers were casting long shadows from the moonlight as they took in the cool night air, but for the most part, Helmling had the plaza to himself.
He strolled past the wide columns of the People’s Assembly Hall, where a few lights marked the tireless work of Senate and Quorum staffers.
Daylight would soon begin to color the smooth surface of the Great Pyramid, lighten the eyes of the sculptures of the Chichen Itza Pyramid, and open the daily buds of the alcoves in the Hanging Gardens.
The moon was still reflected in the shimmering reflecting pool that ran up to the stone monoliths in the Stonehenge.
The Great Cathedral was empty and only a few lights shone inside the Great Library.
He walked to the Great Mausoleum—with Taj Mahal-esque spires—that had been nestled in the open space of the triangle formed by the three pyramidal wonders. He wondered what Timareta would think of this grand memorial. “Too much,” she would probably say. In the end, though, she would have seen how it inspired the special brand of nationalistic spirit that had seen the Nation through one of its golden ages of exploration and advancement. She was the mother of the Nation, after all, it was only fitting she be appropriately honored in the Plaza.
The light was dying the clouds a rosy pink as he headed back toward the Palace.
“Time to go,” he said aloud, but only a pigeon noticed.

It is ironic that you won the game while at war with someone. Is this the end, or with there be one last part?

Anyway, good job.

After over four years of braking, the ship was still.
It had slowed itself by swinging through the orbit of the largest gas giant in the star system—a swirling mess of brown, orange, and red storms. It had passed between the wandering orphan asteroids as it approached a smallish red orb which slowed it further. Now it was coasting—still and serene in the lonely expanse—toward its destination.
Its white hull was perfect stillness, unfathomably dark and starkly bright at the same time.
As its destination began to loom larger and larger, the intelligent machines which had guided it through its journey watched the ship’s progress and tracked it to within millimeters of its preordained trajectory.
Then they saw it was time.
Inside the ship, lights flickered to life. The machines began scrubbing the carbon dioxide from the atmosphere inside again. The temperature regulators came to life again.
It was a ship without a tradition, yet it had been decided that the captain would be the last to go under suspended animation and the first to be revived from it.
The captain’s capsule buzzed. Instruments flashed. The air was equalized, and a man who had been essentially dead for more than fifteen years returned to life.
He moved in fits and starts. His eyes opened, but it was several minutes before he could see. He pulled off the intravenous cords from his arms and pushed himself out of the chamber and floated gently into the open chamber.
He reviewed the settings of the rest of his crew, and finding nothing amiss, initiated their wake-up cycles. As their chambers began to slide open, he busied himself checking the computer’s report from the trip.
He noted a slight drop in expected power reserves—nothing serious, but odd.
He greeted his crew and left them to finish waking up. He wanted to see their destination from the bridge.

As the door slid open, he saw the pinpoints of stars shining through among the vast black of space through the ship’s forward windows. In the middle, dead ahead, was a bluish sphere.
Rendered breathless, he pushed off the back wall of the bridge and floated toward the windows. The sun—filtered of its deadly radiation by the smart material of the windows—warmed his face as he drifted to the front.
His awe was shattered by an unexpected voice from just over his left shoulder.
“Hello Captain,” the voice said. “Sleep well?”
He tried to turn around, but found only fumbled with his neck until he remembered to push off of something.
Impossibly, there was someone sitting in one of the wide chairs on the other side of the bridge.
He was confused and alarmed beyond measure, until he recognized the face in the dark. Then as the long familiarity of the features registered, he was no longer surprised at all. He almost chided himself for not expecting it.
“Helmling?”
“How have you been?”
“What the hell are you doing here?” he said, unable to keep from smiling a bit. “Or rather, how in the hell are you here?”
“It wasn’t too difficult, actually. Little reprogramming here and there. You’d be amazed the kind of access being president for two thousand years gives you.”
“But there were no empty hibernation chambers. Did you have one hidden somewhere?”
“No, I wasn’t in hibernation. I'm afraid I've dipped into the reserve food supply, and you'll find the power lower than expected from running life support in a few parts of the ship longer than intended. But trust me, the ship'll be fine.”
Ender Iasonides, Captain of the Argo, pushed off one of the other chairs to draw himself nearer. “You can’t be serious.”
“I am.”
“You’ve been awake and alone for sixteen years?”
Helmling nodded.
“No one could survive that kind of isolation without going mad.”
“Oh, you’d be amazed the kind of patience I’ve developed. It’s really all a matter of mental discipline,” he answered flatly.
The crew began to enter from the rear as Iasonides stared on in disbelief.
“What the—“ one of the officers exclaimed, swallowing whatever might have come next.
Helmling nodded to greet them.
The crewmembers looked back and forth between one another, whispering questions.
“Well, captain,” Helmling said a moment later. “Shall we?”
Ender nodded cautiously, returning his attention to the planet before them.
He gestured for the crew to take their stations and one by one the men and women floated up from the back of the room and found their consoles. Helmling moved out of the way, choosing to drift toward the glass. He too was now fixated on the planet. In fact, nothing they said could shake his gaze from it.
“Report,” Ender called out. The usual brash strength that showed in his voice was muted somewhat by Helmling’s enigmatic tone.
“Spectrographic analysis coming back on the planet, sir,” the chief science officer reported. “We are picking up a largely oxygen/nitrogen atmosphere, sir…but…”
“But what?” Ender asked, looking at Helmling.
“We’re also now detecting trace gases, various synthetic compounds, heavy carbon dioxide, particulates, even radioisotopes.” The science officer looked up from her screen. “The long range spectrographic analysis that led to us selecting this planet was partially correct, sir. It was once capable of sustaining life. There may still be life down there, but it’s likely microscopic or deep in those oceans. I have to conclude that this planet was once home to an advanced civilization, but something wiped them out and ruined this planet.”
Helmling said nothing.
Ender brought himself closer, but could not distract him from the view of the planet.
“Helmling,” he said suspiciously. “Where have you brought us? You knew this all along. You picked this planet. Why?” Helmling moved his mouth, as if about to speak, but then seemed to stop himself. Ender shook his head, and let his impatience show. “I think it’s time you start giving us some answers. What is this place?”
Helmling nodded, and at last he turned around to face the crew and their captain.
“She’s right, Captain,” he began. “This planet did once support an advanced civilization. Ours. This is the cradle of humanity. This planet is the homeworld. Earth.”
They all looked past him at the blue sphere hanging in the space before them, growing imperceptibly larger with each passing second.
“Right here? The homeworld was only a few lightyears away all this time?” the science officer gasped.
“Yes,” Helmling answered.
“What happened to it?” Ender asked pointedly.
Helmling sighed. “Late in the twenty-first century—that’d be something like twelve-thousand years ago now—human kind, on Earth, detected a planet around a near-by star. We’d actually detected many planets around other stars, but this was one different. It was small…Earth-sized. And we didn’t expect to find it where we did. You see, this planet was orbiting the nearest in a trinary star system we called Centauri. The size and orbit of the planet were contrary to our theories of planetary formation, but far more interesting was what the spectroscopy of the atmosphere indicated. The air looked like it could be terraformed, like the planet might be made hospitable to human settlement.
“So it was decided, not without some controversy, that a ship would be built. It wasn’t quite as grand as this one, but it still cost the world a great deal. Earth was in bad shape then. Environmental degradation was leading to ever greater conflict for resources and increasing tensions among all the Earth’s various factions and cultures. After the ship left for Alpha Centauri, things only got worse. Resource conflicts escalated into wars, wars escalated and nuclear weapons were used, leading to further environmental ruin, leading to more wars, more weapons, more devastation. We burned it down. We ruined the Earth.”
The crew looked at the beautiful, but poisoned world. “What about that ship?” one of them asked.
“They made it to the planet around Alpha Centauri, but when they arrived,” he sighed and shook his head. “Factionalism took over again. Even knowing what had happened to the Earth, we still couldn’t get our act together. It wasn’t long before the people realized that the planet wasn’t a planet at all.”
“Asteroid?”
“No,” he answered with a smile. “It was a machine. An advanced alien species had spent millions of years making it.”
“What was it for?” Ender asked.
“It was designed to allow a species to transcend the physical boundaries of consciousness. To ascend to another level of existence. What that would mean, these people didn’t realize, but they figured out how to use the machine.”
“They became…gods?”
“You know the theory of the multiverse?”
“The hypothesis that our universe is just one of an infinite number of universes connected in a multiverse, each of which represents one of an infinite possible outcomes to any quantum event.”
“It’s no hypothesis,” Helmling answered. “The Planet—the machine—allowed humankind to extend beyond just one universe in the multiverse. When they did that, they came into contact with many other ascended consciousnesses. Suddenly, and one might argue: without the necessary maturation, humankind was a player in a much larger cosmic struggle.”
“A struggle?”
“It soon became a war,” Helmling explained. “A war between species vastly more powerful than humans, even then. It was a war that threatened the nature of existence across the multiverse. It was beyond my powers of speech to even begin to explain.”
He paused for a moment, turning himself to look back at the Earth hanging before them.
“What happened?” the Captain asked.
“We lost,” he said. “We lost, and humankind was erased from existence.”
“What? So…so we’re the descendents of the survivors of that war?”
“There were no survivors…unless you count me, but I wasn’t in this universe then. No, the beings that defeated us destroyed humankind with great reluctance, and only when they were left with no other choice. But they were moral beings and they could not exterminate us outright. The planet still existed around the one surviving star in the Centauri system.”
“Surviving star?”
Helmling turned back. “It was quite a war.” He continued, “they destroyed the machine, so no species could use it again, but they left the planet. They reshaped the continents and seeded it with life from Earth. They recreated humankind, even seeded us with...suggestions of past human cultures.”
“But all life on Earth was already gone, wasn’t it?”
“Oh, they were very advanced. All they needed was the knowledge of the genetic codes of the creatures they wanted to resurrect, including humans. That sort of information is easy to come by when you transcend time and space by your very nature.”
“So they recreated human kind,” Ender repeated. “As some kind of test?”
“No…no tests. Just a second chance.”
“I don’t understand,” he continued. “If they were our enemies, then why would they do that? If they were so moral then why were we at war?”
“We were on the wrong side, Captain,” Helmling said firmly. “It was a war for the fate of the cosmos and we…”
“Were the bad guys?” Ender finished for him.
“We weren’t alone. Many species on our side sought power, sought control. Thankfully we lost.”
“And you?”
“Me?”
“How do you fit into all this?”
“Oh, I don’t,” he answered with a laugh. “It’s like I’ve always told your people, for all these millennia. I’m just an ordinary person. In most universes in the multiverse, I lived and died a normal life on Earth before any of this happened.”
“Died?” one of the officers said.
“In most universes. But the multiverse is full of possibilities. In one universe I met the right alien at the right time and…well, there you go.”
“So you’ve traveled the multiverse?”
“Yes.”
“Many universes…” Ender mumbled. “How many universes did this happen in, this extermination of humankind?”
“Many…well, an infinite amount, really.”
“And there’s always this…’second chance?’”
Helmling nodded.
“Have you done all this before? On other worlds?”
Helmling smiled. “Honestly, Captain, I can’t even tell you anymore if this is the beginning or the end for me.”
Ender shook his head and looked out at the Earth.
“Now what, Helmling? I mean...we’ve left behind a troubled world.”
“We have to let those people learn for themselves. For two-thousand years we’ve shown them the light, and there are still millions of Philosopher King citizens holding it up for them. It will always be their choice whether they will follow it, but now that we can watch from on high, we can at least make sure they don’t ruin the planet like the Earth was ruined.”
“And what of the Earth?”
“Well…we’re going to do just what we came here to do. We’ve found an uninhabited planet and we’re going to make it habitable. Oh, I do have an idea for the name of our first settlement, by the way." The crew exchanged puzzled looks, but Helmling continued, "We’re going to rejuvenate the Earth, bring it back and reclaim our birthright. In whatever small way we can, we’re going to make the wrong things right.”

ToV said:
It is ironic that you won the game while at war with someone. Is this the end, or with there be one last part?

Anyway, good job.

Catherine really did accept peace the very next turn...after I wiped out one more landing party (which you can see in the last screenshot showing Far Colony).

And as you'll probably see, I have posted an epilogue.

My god
Its just... all over
wow
A hole in my existence has been created that even candy will not be able to fill.

Thats one of the best stories I have ever read, and Im quite the pathetic bookworm! Congragulations on being done Helmling!

Top Bottom