• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Chu-Ko-Nu + Logistics promotion

No but I'm guessing the chu ko nu was left this way was because the chu ko nu could've been OP.

Nothing has changed.

Which is why it would have been easier to give them a free Logistics promotion. (as opposed to their own specialized one which makes Logistics useless in all but very weird situations)

Is a mobility promotion even available for the infantry or ranged line? I can't say I've ever seen it, but it wouldn't be my priority anyway.

Also, the road doesn't matter: every attack consumes a full point of movement. The road would allow you to move a small distance and still attack twice, but not three times.

Archers can't get mobility but you could get 3 mps with a Darius Golden age or a scout with scouting III that got a ruins upgrade. Kind of rare but possible I suppose.

Sadly, I have accidently given Chu-Ko-Nu the logistics promotion more than once. :blush:

It sure seems arbitrary that the game doesn’t use the logistic promotion for this UU.

Especiallly since Longbowmen simply got the Range promotion instead of inherent +1 range to the unit (or a special promo that gave them +1 range).

I'll look into this for my mod (as well as modifying base move of CKN to 3 to test if Logistics DOES stack... regardless there's little way to get 3 move on an Archery unit so it's still pointless for the most part).

It sure seems arbitrary that the game doesn’t use the logistic promotion for this UU.

I assume it's still available as a Promotion because CKNs can attack 3 times in certain situations:

1) A Chinese Scout with surveillance III that gets upgraded into the archer line.
2) If Persia gets gifted a CKN from a CS and is in a Golden Age.
3) If Denmark gets gifted a CKN from a CS and debarks from the ocean.

But I'm sure this was all covered in depth 2 1/2 years ago.

I assume it's still available as a Promotion because CKNs can attack 3 times in certain situations:

Even taken together, those are all so rare that it still seems like an accident rather than something deliberate.

A more compelling explanation is that with vanilla, mobility was available to more units, and the developers didn’t think 3 shots was as OP as 4 range would have been for longbow men. But that does not really wash if Korea was DLC released about the same time as G&K. So we are back to it being arbitrary oversight.

But I'm sure this was all covered in depth 2 1/2 years ago.

Or not. In any case, it was not patched in all that time.

In G&K if you were gifted a Chu-Ko-Nu as Persia, gave it Logistics, then upgraded it all the way to Mech. Infantry and gave it Blitz you could attack four times during Golden Age :D

In BNW they changed the upgrade path to Bazooka so now it's 3 times max. (as Persia)

The fix SHOULD have been done a long time ago, to just change the Chu-Ko-Nu to start with Logistics. It's not like Logistics is a pre-req for any other promotion, so it wouldn't have broken anything.

In G&K if you were gifted a Chu-Ko-Nu as Persia, gave it Logistics, then upgraded it all the way to Mech. Infantry and gave it Blitz you could attack four times during Golden Age :D

In BNW they changed the upgrade path to Bazooka so now it's 3 times max. (as Persia)

Oh really? Well, that's great.

The fix SHOULD have been done a long time ago, to just change the Chu-Ko-Nu to start with Logistics. It's not like Logistics is a pre-req for any other promotion, so it wouldn't have broken anything.
Would also be consistent with English Longbowmen starting with the regular +1 range promotion rather than some unique promotion that does the same. Although the possibility of English Longbowmen starting with a unique range promotion and then upgrading into regular range promotion is rather interesting. :D

The longbowman already starts with range, but the chu ko nu starts with may attack twice. Unless the longbow starts off with another promotion instead of range then that could add up. If archers somehow had indirect fire..

And that's the point. It's so rare to get the opportunity to actually use the mostly redundant promotions, they should have just been combined. Same problem with Survivalism III from the scout path, when upgraded to the archer path, is completely redundant with March - why not just let the scout take March instead, and avoid the problem of someone unwittingly taking march as wasting a level?

Top Bottom