City limits

I just discovered this, and you have no idea how much the no unit limit patch pleases me. I don't how many scenario/large mods I've had to quit due to reaching this limit! A giant thanks to those involved with this hack.

Okay Ive got the same issue with AI not building new towns in new save game now. Didnt have in two previous ones, though both were randomly generated maps, not scenarios I made (does it mean AI doesnt build towns if u play scenarios? I'd like to know). Might be asking sYn to fix this after new year, if he will be able to see, so hold on for the result for a next weeks plx.

Be nice if can be found and fixed .. have had the same issue on maps make to play, hit the old limit and the AI stops bldg and I keep at it, sorta pointless to keep going at that point. Thanx to your friend if can help with this.

Okay Ive got the same issue with AI not building new towns in new save game now. Didnt have in two previous ones, though both were randomly generated maps, not scenarios I made (does it mean AI doesnt build towns if u play scenarios? I'd like to know). Might be asking sYn to fix this after new year, if he will be able to see, so hold on for the result for a next weeks plx.

Thank you.

:newyear: ,

Oz

I'll say one thing, I was able to make successful modifications (ridicously simple ones) to the already modified exe which anyone could do, but I would love to know how sYn (or any other) are capable of finding the specific parts of the hex to change what they are looking for. I believe they must just look for a pattern or number of some type? Somewhat amazing, I was hoping to get a clue by examining the 'before' and 'after' of the city limit change, but didn't really see anything that caught my eye in reference to figuring out how they might have found those parts from scratch. Guess my programming knowledge just isn't good enough! haha.

I would love it if this issue were to be fixed, though I've now scrapped all my giant maps for something smaller that will fill up before hitting the limit. Great work so far guys, lets keep the train rolling!

I'll say one thing, I was able to make successful modifications (ridicously simple ones) to the already modified exe which anyone could do

Hear, hear! What did you do?

Knuckels hasn't been on since August, so if anyone else fixes the AI not building bug, be sure to tell me ;)

Oh, I did next to nothing.. the original conquests.exe is pretty much nothing but hex code... I wouldn't have a clue what to do with it. The modified ones have readable text added in the ascii/ansi section which show things like the directory paths and what appears to be calls to functions. So there are things like "BLITZLIMIT". I think that there is a way to determine where in the hex (which is the code) that BLITZLIMIT calls to, so it can be located so you have a remote clue of what to possibly change, I just don't know at the moment how to go about doing this (I haven't really looked yet though). I don't even know if that is the right way to go about it. I took C classes a long long time ago, so at best I am really rusty with anything.

I just made some changes to some of the directories for where it grabs the graphics files, but that is beyond simple, anyone could do so. E.G. I changed it to look for the barracks icon graphic somewhere else with a different name, and it worked fine. Of course, I wouldn't be able to do so in the original conquests.exe, only the already modified one. I did locate all the exact portions that were changed in the non-citylimit exe compared to the citylimit exe. So with some study, I might be able to eventually figure something out as to 'how' and 'why'. With some luck and time! :)

Maybe I send knuckles a msg, so if he gets on, he can ask sYn for a quick down and dirty tutorial of how he locates. I know knuckles said they did something like a brute force search IIRC.

Perhaps even Quintillus or Steph may have more knowledge about going about something like that.

I did try changing the file format of PCX in the exe to other formats, but was unable to get any to work. I was hoping to get FLC's to work, as if this could be done, we would have access to animated graphics pretty much all throughout the game (on menu screens, possibly even terrain, etc). I don't know how easy it would be for a pro-programmer to figure something like that out though.

Sorry folks, if that was answered already, but I have currently not much time, so I ask: Is there any version for the scenario editor of C3C as well? I want to add some few cities to my AoI II scenario.

Adler

Sorry folks, if that was answered already, but I have currently not much time, so I ask: Is there any version for the scenario editor of C3C as well? I want to add some few cities to my AoI II scenario.

Adler

If I understand the question correctly (is there an editor without city limits), I believe that is the third attachment in the first post. If that doesn't work, you could probably do it with my editor - keeping with its philosophy of "let someone shoot themselves in the foot if they want to", it won't stop you from adding a 513th city if you try.

If I understand the question correctly (is there an editor without city limits), I believe that is the third attachment in the first post. If that doesn't work, you could probably do it with my editor - keeping with its philosophy of "let someone shoot themselves in the foot if they want to", it won't stop you from adding a 513th city if you try.

Interesting editor. Thanks.

Adler

Help me out here 'cause it's been a while. Is there of a version of this available that has no-raze and no unit limit, but does not include the no-city limit addition? I'm trying to stay clear of the no city limit patch because of the Preferences crash.

Not that I know of.

That said, I've been using the patch and haven't experienced the crash - you could try playing a turn, saving, and then seeing if it works?

I'm having trouble getting any patch to work with a fresh install. I've switched to Linux but have installed Windows 7 as a virtual machine. I've just reinstalled Civ from my old CDs (Gold edition and Conquests) and can't get the patch to work. When I click on the patch files, that are saved in the conquests folder, Win 7 says are you sure and I click 'run' and then nothing. I've tried about three different patches. I tried adding them to the allowed files in the firewall too just in case that was the problem.

Anyone know why they aren't working? Could it be something to do with Win 7 being a virtual machine? I could play from disc if I have to but I'd really like the noraze patch because I can stand it when the AI razes half the cities on the map every time it goes to war.

I had a go at installing Civ three in Linux with wine and it worked but the game crashed about every 5 turns so wasn't a great success.

I'm having trouble getting any patch to work with a fresh install. I've switched to Linux but have installed Windows 7 as a virtual machine. I've just reinstalled Civ from my old CDs (Gold edition and Conquests) and can't get the patch to work. When I click on the patch files, that are saved in the conquests folder, Win 7 says are you sure and I click 'run' and then nothing. I've tried about three different patches. I tried adding them to the allowed files in the firewall too just in case that was the problem.

Anyone know why they aren't working? Could it be something to do with Win 7 being a virtual machine? I could play from disc if I have to but I'd really like the noraze patch because I can stand it when the AI razes half the cities on the map every time it goes to war.

I had a go at installing Civ three in Linux with wine and it worked but the game crashed about every 5 turns so wasn't a great success.

I've no idea about running Win7 as a virtual machine, but I've often found that running some programs in Win7 under "XP Compatibility Mode" often did the trick.

-:scan:z

Top Bottom