Resource icon

City Name Generator [Civ VI] v40

I just had 2 cities get named exactly the same thing. Is there a way to avoid this?

I just had 2 cities get named exactly the same thing. Is there a way to avoid this?
This should no longer happen with the latest version of the mod, uploaded a couple of days ago.

Also, you can still rename your cities in the usual way if you don't like the generated name. Just open the city details panel and type in whatever name you want. It'll even show you the etymology if it recognises what you typed.

Well assuming Steam Workshop updated my copy, then I *was* using that version. Hmm.

HandyVac updated City Name Generator [Civ VI] with a new update entry:

Special thanks to DemonEmperor for coding advice.

Optimisation

- Optimised code to run faster. Should cause less delay now when waiting for next turn or hovering tooltips over cities.

- Fixed bug where citystates would always get renamed when captured.

- Added additional table to make it easier for mod civs to use CNG, by re-using the dictionary of another civ. Instructions in the mod folder.

Read the rest of this update entry...

Last edited:
I love this mod! Just thought I'd share a few screenshots of the generated names. The combination names you get when you conquer a city are really cool (Niederariyacica - German/Persian, Grossalexandroupoli - German/Macedonian, etc).

Macedon got a hilariously long name:

And England founded what I think is my new favorite city name (with Bad-Abad founded by Persia as a close second):

---------------------------------------------------

I did have something weird though - I was playing with this mod, and then yesterday after loading my save game I noticed after founding some new cities that this mod was no longer active in my save game (and it wasn't listed in the save game list of mods and dlc). Has anyone else had this mod "unattach" itself upon loading a savegame?

HandyVac! Wilelmus here.

Here's my contributions to the Roman name list. I don't know how it will work out, but I tried to keep things as flavourful and accurate as possible, so that the names sound Roman enough and plausible enough. They're all feminine to ease things out for now:

Spoiler ROMAN CITY NAMES :

SINGLE BASE NAMES, all go in the first position. These are generic, and are supposed to be the honorifics or historic names of a certain city. There all have spaces at the end.

Colonia - "Colony", meaning "City with full rights". Civitas does mean city, but in a generic way, more like "the concept of city", it wasn't used in naming cities. It's either Colonia or Urbs, and there's only one Urbs, which is Rome (and later, Constantinople).

Venta or Vindo - "Marketplace".

Aqua or Aquae (sing and plur) - "Hot springs". Romans were crazy about their hot springs, and created many cities in places where water was naturally warm.

Ara or Arae - "Altar"

Augusta - City founded in honor of the Emperor. All of them were.

Caesarea - City founded in honor of the Emperor. All of them were.

Flavia "of the Flavian dynasty"

Aelia "of the Aelian family", whence his heir Hadrian came from.

Trajana "of Trajan".

Ulpia True family name of Trajan, before he was adopted by Nerva.

Valeria "of the Valerian family"

Valentia "of the veterans"

Celsa "of Celsus"

Aventina "of the People", Aventine Hill was the Plebean hill in Rome.

Pallatina "of the Palace".

Isca "close to the Water"

Heraclea "of Hercules"

BASE WORDS for WORD FORMATION. This is to avoid repetition, so that sometimes you don't get Augusta, but Augustica, or Augustina, or Augustorate. These are all modifiers to the city's name meaning, but they're subtle. Augusta means "city of Augustus", Augustina also means the same, but more in a sense of "Came from Augustus"; Augustinilla is a diminutive of the former, Augustica is kinda like "Similar to Augustus". Position 1
This ones can be combined with the suffixes or with the other words (the ones without [space] before)

Valent-
Caesar-
Pallant-
Avent-
Valer-
Ulp-
Trajan-
Valer-
August-
Ar-
Vent-
Heracl-
Isc-
Ael-
Flav-

SUFFIXES: generic. (Some "mistakes" may happen, such as Augustia or Valenta, which are nonsense formations. The solution would be to assign each base word a certain suffix, but that's too much work for now I think). Position 2

-ia
-acum
-arum
-atum
-a
-ina
-ica
-augusta (danger of Augustaugusta xD)
-ae
-orate

MORE SUFFIXES, THEMATIC
TERRAIN:

Note: A lot of Celtic origin preffixes or suffixes; the reason is that even in today's Northern Italy there were Kelts. The Kelts lived in all areas from Britain to the Balkans and that includes a third of Italy. The Etruscans held them off for a while but in the early Republic, the Gauls even sacked Rome. So there's a lot of Celtic root words in Roman city names from outside of Italy, and even in Northern Italy.

Plains:
- lanum (2) - Plain
- lana (2) - In a flat area
- magus (2) - In a flat or undersea area.

Hills:
-briga (2) - On a hill (Celtic origin)
-dunum (2) - On a hill (Brittonic origin)
-castra (2) - Fortification on a hill.

Riverside:

Isca (1) - Celtic root with river
[space] Hydrea (2) - on the water.

Coast:
[space]Maritima (2) On the coast
[space]Pontica (2) On the seaside
-pontus (2) On the sea

Floodplains and marsh:
-magus (2)

Ice and Tundra
[space] Parva (2)- Small
[space] Borealis (2)- Northern
[space] Septentria (2)- Northern

Forest:
-Evor- (1) - Forest
-Silv- (1) - Dense forest
[space] Evorica (2) - Forest
[space] Silvana (2) - Dense forest

Mountain:
[space] Riparia (2) - on a mountain range.
[space] Alpina (2) - on the Alps
Mons (1) - Mountain

Lake:
Lac- (1) - On the lake
[space]Laci (2) - Of the lake

Island:
Insula (1) - Island
Porta (1) - Gateway (port)

RESOURCES:

Copper
[space]Aerica (2) - brass
[space]Cyprica (2) - of Cyprus (Cyprus was one of the few major copper veins in Europe, hence the origin of the name; Cyprus > cuprum > copper.)

Crabs
Cancrica (2)

Stone
[space]Petrea (2) - of Stone
Mons (1) - on a mountain
[space]Lapis (2) - Stony

Citrus
[space]Aurantiaca (2) - of Oranges
[space]Aurentica (2) - of Oranges

Coffee - These may sound silly since they're coffee variety names, but... they were in Latin originally, that's why we call them that, and Arabia and Mocha is from where coffee came to Europe. I wouldn't use them, but if you need them, here they are.
[space]Arabica (2) Arabian
[space]Arabiae (2) - of Arabian
[space]Mochana (2) - of the port of Mocha in Yemen

Diamonds
Adamantica(2)
Adamans(2)
Adamancitae(2)

Dyes
[space]Phoenica (2) - Phoenician, but also literally red-blood. The Phoenicians got this name from trading intense purple (which meant crimson at the time) dyes.
[space]Purpurea(2) - Purple, the most expensive dye at that time. It was only made in the Phoenician coast
[space]Tyrica (2)- of Tyre, a city in Phoenicia.
[space]Rubinata(2) - Red
[space]Vitrea(2) - Blue-green
[space]Infucata(2) - Colored, painted.

Incense
[space] Myrrhea (2) - "where myrrh grows"
[space] Felix (2) - "Blessed", a common epyteth of southern Arabia, where Rome got all its incense and made the area super rich.
[space] Olibanea (2) "where incense grows"
[space]Sacra (2) Incense was sacred after all, used in ritual sacrifice to attract the gods' attention.

Ivory
[space] Elephantina (1) - "of Elephants". Can be (1) or (2).

Jade
[space] Vitrea (2) - Blue-green
[space] Nephritica (2) - Nephritic, the scientific name for jade.
[space] Lapis (2) - Stony

Marble
[space] Marmarica (2) - of Marble
[space] Alba(2) - White, like some kinds of marble.
[space] Lithica(2) - Related to stone.
[space] Marmorea(2) - or Marble.
[space] Porphyrica (2) - the most expensive marble is, again, purple. Porphyric marble was worthy of temples and palaces.

Mercury
[space] Hydrargirica(2) - of Mercury (the metal)
[space] Argentica(2) - of Silver
[space] Mercurii(2) in honor of the god Mercury. Not the Freddie, the other one.
[space] Azothica(2) - Azoth is a mythical alchemy compound made from mercury (allegedly)
-argentica (2) - silvery

Pearls
[space] Pernae (2) - of pearls
[space] Amicula (2) - Small bead
-perna (2) pearly.

Salt
[space] Salinaria (2) - Makes salt
[space] Salinae (2) - Saltpans
Sal- (1) - Salty

Silver
[space] Argentaria (2) - of Silver
[space] Argentica (2) - of silver
Argent- (1) - Silvery

Sugar
[space]Melis (2) - Honey, also sweet.
[space]Trapetia (2) - Sugarmill.
[space]Cannamelis (2) - Sugarcane
[space]Antarctica (2) - Opposite to the Arctic. In the Middle Ages it meant "Tropical", where sugar is grown.

Tea
[space]Sinica - Chinese. Since tea came from there, it's where it got its name.
[space]Thea - of tea
[space]Thynae - Another name for China.

Tobacco
[space]Fumifera - Smoky
[space]Nicotia - Self explanatory
[space]Solanacea - Smoky

Whales
[space] Cetacea (2) - of whales
[space] Delphinica(2) - of dolphins
[space] Delphi(2) of dolphins
-adelphi(2) - of brothers, a wordplay on delphinus (dolfin) and the Greek for brother (adelphos).
[space] Balaenae(2) - of whales

Wine
[space]Vinaria(2) - of wine.
[space]Rubea(2) - reddish
[space]Opimia(2) - best vintage
Falernia-(1) variety of wine
[space]Alba (2) - variety of whine
Caecuba- (1)variety of wine
[space]Massica (2)- variety of wine
[space]Gauranica (2)- variety of wine
[space]Amphorica (2)- of amphorae
[space]Bacchi (2)- of the god of wine.

Coal
[space]Hypoagea(2) - of the Mines.
[space]Nigrans(2) - Dusky
[space]Pernigra(2) - Jet black
[space]Atra(2) - Black, gloomy

Iron
-ificina (2)
[space]Rubinata (2) - red, also rusty.
[space]Rubinea(2) - red, also rusty.
[space]Ferrica(2) - of iron
[space]Metallica(2) - of metal
-fabra(2) - workingplace
[space]Aciaria(2) - of steel
[space]Chalybis(2) - of bronze

Niter
[space]Nitrica (2)
Nitria[space] (2)
Nitr- (1)

Oil
[space]Naphtica (2) Of oil.
[space]Saxiolea (2) Of oil
[space]Cerolea (2) Of oil.
[space]Electrificina (2) Produces electricity

Uranium
[space]Uranica (2) Relative to the god Uranus.
[space]Atomificina (2) Produces atomic energy

DISTRICTS:

Research
Musaeum[space] (1) - To the Muses
[space]Musaea(2) - of the Muses
[space]Didactica(2) - of learning
[space]Libraria(2) - library
[space]Lycaea(2) - learning place
Academia[space] (1) - where wise men gather.

Entertainment
[space]Lucullana(2) of Lucullus, Roman patrician famous for his parties.
[space]Bacchica(2) of Bacchus, god of wine and debauchery.
Ludus[space] (1) Games.
[space]Colossea(2) Relative to the Colosseum.

Culture
[space]Serapea(2) - Of Serapis, the god of hidden truths that hosted, in his temple, the last Library of Alexandria.
[space]Hermetica(2) - of Hermes, but also mysterous, secret.
[space]Paterna(2) - Promoted by the Father (the Emperor).

Religious
[space]Pia (2) - Pious
[space]Iovis (2) - Dedicated to Jupiter
[space]Capitolina(2) - Of the Capitoline Hill, where the most important temples were built in Rome.
[space]Flaminis(2) - Of the Flamines, high priests.
[space]Vestalis(2) - Dedicated to Vesta
[space]Augustalis(2) - Dedicated to Augustus

Industrial - These are all a bit wonky, but can work.
[space]Ergasteria (2) - Hard-working
[space]Comburenda(2) - Combusting
[space]Vulcanis(2) - In honor of Vulcan, god of forge and invention.
[space]Laboratoria(2) - Workplace
[space]Tellurii(2) - of the Earth

Trade
Venta[space] (1) - Marketplace
Forum[space] (1) - Community center and market
Emporia[space] (1) - Trading post
[space] Emporiae(2) - Of the Trading post

Military
Emerita[space] (1) - of the veterans
Castra[space] (1) - forts
[space] Valentiarum (2) - of the brave
[space]Martis (2) - of Mars
Legio[space] (1) - Legion
[space]Victrix (2) - Victorious

Last edited:
Nice work! It really makes Civ immersive; I never play without it.

I think that, if it's possible, the same word shouldn't be able to be used two times in a row; I founded a city called Voliko Moloko Kholm and the next city I founded was called Voda Kholm; I think that "Kholm" should have been on a 'name blacklist' (or something like that) for the next 3 or so cities. Again, I have no idea if that's possible, but you've made this, so it probably is!

Thank you!

Hey, I really like this mod and have played quite a lot games with it and I have some minor complaints regarding the German cities:

I'm just going to take your posted screenshot as an example:

There's the city of 'Fisch' which literally translates to - you guessed it - fish; and nothing else. I just really lost it at that one :lol:

"So what are gonna do this weekend?"
"Going to Fisch"
"Oh, so you want to go fishing?"
"No, the city - Fisch!"

Let's be serious...
The capital is called 'Kleinschön' - while there are the German words klein (small) and schön (pretty), no city in Germany is called that. With a suffix (e.g. Kleinschöning, Kleinschönau, Kleinschönheim etc.) that would work, as nearly every German city name that can be combined in the way the mod does it has some kind of ending. (Maybe except for some toponyms that derive from celtic, slavic or roman names - but these are really the exception.)
Or, put differently, prefixes like Klein-, Groß-, Ober-, Nieder-, etc. should always be optional, if you know what I mean. In our example: If there's a city called 'Kleinschön', then 'Großschön' and 'Schön' have to work too. And there's the problem: Although all of our cities are really beautifull, no city in Germany would be simply called 'Schön'. This is basically the same with Fisch: It would still be kind of awkward, but Fischdorf or Fischstedt (Fish Village/Fish Town) sounds much more reallistic.

I looked into the German wordlist XML and found some words I came across while playing; they're etymologicly correct and correctly translated, but can't be grammatically part of a city name - here an example:

Currently possible:
Bananestadt - (Banana Town)
Just two different words mashed together

Correct/Better:
Bananenstadt - (Banana's Town/Town of Bananas)
A combined name of both (grammatically speaking a compositum) - these undergo certain rules regarding the case of the noun

So I went throug the XML and fixed / added many phrases. I marked some for removal, but didn't remove them, so you can read my comments and the reason I marked them. I commented all of my edits, so you can always see why I did what.

I hope I can help with the development of this mod, as I really, really like this project a lot. Keep up the great work!

Attachments

• CNG_WordList_Germany.xml
    42.7 KB · Views: 309
Thanks a lot, that's very helpful!

New version is up on civfanatics now with the updated German and Latin lists. I'll put it up on Steam when I've done a little more polishing.

I decided to keep the southern german dialect words for now, but removed all the other words you marked. I also tweaked to generator code a bit so that single-word city names are much less likely. (this was an even worse problem for the Latin names, as it was throwing up names like Flav, which is just the stem of a word )

I couldn't find translations for some of the generic latin suffixes, such as atum or acum, so their meaning is currently displayed as "generic suffix" in the tooltips, which is obviously not ideal. Let me know what you think.

HandyVac updated City Name Generator [Civ VI] with a new update entry:

Latin and German corrections

- better Latin wordlist, courtesy of Wilelmus
- better German wordlist, courtesy niklas153021
- tweaked code to make single word names much less likely.

Read the rest of this update entry...

Last edited:
Thanks a lot, that's very helpful!

(this was an even worse problem for the Latin names, as it was throwing up names like Flav, which is just the stem of a word )

Keep me posted on the errors, and I'll try and correct them. Single word names shouldn't be a problem, as long as they draw the right single words. Like Carbonaria for a city with coal.

I couldn't find translations for some of the generic latin suffixes, such as atum or acum, so their meaning is currently displayed as "generic suffix" in the tooltips, which is obviously not ideal. Let me know what you think.

It's not like these suffixes are all different things or have "important" meaning. Latin has declensions, so they're not even separate suffixes, but terminations like nominative, genitive, plurals... "-atum" or "-acum" are really suffixes I added to give variety to the names of the city. You can have 10 cities with Augusta in the name, or you can have Augustae, Augustacum, Augusti... literally "Emperors", "relative to the Emperor" and "of the Emperor". Hard to translate accurately in every case. Better just leave them without a translation tooltip.

Keep me posted on the errors, and I'll try and correct them. Single word names shouldn't be a problem, as long as they draw the right single words. Like Carbonaria for a city with coal.

It's not like these suffixes are all different things or have "important" meaning. Latin has declensions, so they're not even separate suffixes, but terminations like nominative, genitive, plurals... "-atum" or "-acum" are really suffixes I added to give variety to the names of the city. You can have 10 cities with Augusta in the name, or you can have Augustae, Augustacum, Augusti... literally "Emperors", "relative to the Emperor" and "of the Emperor". Hard to translate accurately in every case. Better just leave them without a translation tooltip.

Wouldn't it mean "the victorious" (plural), "relative to the victorious one" and "of the victorious one", wheras "imperator" (or maybe "caesar", which later became "kaiser" in German) would be what's translated to "emperor"? After all, Augustus was originally a title that meant "victorious".

Wouldn't it mean "the victorious" (plural), "relative to the victorious one" and "of the victorious one", wheras "imperator" (or maybe "caesar", which later became "kaiser" in German) would be what's translated to "emperor"? After all, Augustus was originally a title that meant "victorious".

The meaning of Augustus is unclear. Linguists are not sure what Augustus meant in the times when the Senate rewarded Octavian with that title. Some say "venerable", others "majestic". It is believed that the root for the word "augment", as if an august one was an "augmenter" of honor, glory and favour of the gods. It also had a religious undertone. Haverfield suggests that the title Romulus had been considered but discarded because of its regal connotations (the Emperor of Rome was an arbiter, not a monarch, at least in theory).

I've never read about its meaning being about victory though. Maybe in later times, although the Greeks translated it as "Sebastos", literally "Venerable".

Would it be possible to pair Native American words with other Native American words, and the same with English words for America? I.E. no Missi City.
Sure, in fact most words in the American lists are already paired up like that. Words tagged "English" will not get mixed with ones tagged "Native" or "Spanish", but I deliberately left some of the more generic words like City or River untagged, so they can mix with any language.

There are some multi-lingual place names in real life USA, like the Mississippi River, Oklahoma City or Idaho Springs, so I wanted to have that possibility in the mod too.

If you wanted to change that all you'd need to do is go through the list and tag every word with a MutuallyExclusiveGroup.

Sure, in fact most words in the American lists are already paired up like that. Words tagged "English" will not get mixed with ones tagged "Native" or "Spanish", but I deliberately left some of the more generic words like City or River untagged, so they can mix with any language.

There are some multi-lingual place names in real life USA, like the Mississippi River, Oklahoma City or Idaho Springs, so I wanted to have that possibility in the mod too.

If you wanted to change that all you'd need to do is go through the list and tag every word with a MutuallyExclusiveGroup.
Don't forget some fun place names as San Alice, since the Spanish prefixes use the names of American citizens (most of which are English language) and the prefixes don't necessarily agree with the gender.

Speaking of which, there can be an extra parameter for some words to denote gender, especially given that many languages have grammatical gender and that citizen names are either male or female.

The meaning of Augustus is unclear. Linguists are not sure what Augustus meant in the times when the Senate rewarded Octavian with that title. Some say "venerable", others "majestic". It is believed that the root for the word "augment", as if an august one was an "augmenter" of honor, glory and favour of the gods. It also had a religious undertone. Haverfield suggests that the title Romulus had been considered but discarded because of its regal connotations (the Emperor of Rome was an arbiter, not a monarch, at least in theory).

I've never read about its meaning being about victory though. Maybe in later times, although the Greeks translated it as "Sebastos", literally "Venerable".

My apologies, I totally messed up two words. I was actually thinking about "majestic" or "elevated", but I got the Dutch translation that I learned ("verheven") mixed up with the English "victorious" because they both start with a 'v' and both mean something pretty awesome. Also of note, when I put "verheven" in the translator to confirm that the English term majestic was a correct translation, another translation given was actually "august".

Hello! First off, my family and I love this mod! However, we get a lot of "deviated from host" desyncs and reloads while playing, and city names don't match from player to player, and can change after being founded/districted/captured. Is there a way that we can avoid these errors, and have the mod active and synchronized across our LAN games?

Top Bottom