Resource icon

City Name Generator [Civ VI] v40

I don't really see the repetition of meaning as a problem, since there are plenty of real life places with tautological names like that.

In real life this tends to happen when a name gets added to in multiple languages, so I guess it's a bit weird for civs like Rome who are only drawing on a single language, but not strange at all for civs like England who are drawing on dozens of languages.

I could limit the name generation to pick only one word per in-game feature, but that would cause it's own problems. E.g. a FEATURE_HILL near the city unlocks words for "hill", but it also unlocks words like "steep", "high", "upper" and "valley", so blocking "hill-hill" would also prevent names like "steep-hill", "high-hill" and "valley-slope".

So on balance I think I'm going to leave it as it is for now. The occasional weird name is just part of the fun.

Really looking forward to using this mod! Especially, since Swin and Don are both part of the english name list, I might get lucky and generate my hometown Swindon if I settle a hill next to some truffles!

I might suggest putting the word Ram/Rams in for Sheep!

HandyVac updated City Name Generator [Civ VI] with a new update entry:

America and Australia, plus advanced setup options

Added word lists for America and Australia. All official civs are now supported (until more DLC comes out).

Updated code to allow words to be in mutually exclusive groups (e.g. to allow a civ to draw on multiple languages without them mixing in the same name)

Added user configurable options to the Advanced setup screen.

Read the rest of this update entry...

Nice.

Don't be upset at this comment/question.

This sounds like an awesome idea, in fact I think its one of the most unique ideas I have seen around here and I have been playing/modding Civ for a very long time. This is a complaint I have not only for this particular mod, but many mods posted around here. Why are there not more/any screen-shots of this in action? Why wouldn't you put up examples of how this would work in-game? A nice screen-shot of a bunch of different civs' cities with this going on would be cool to see and would really sell the idea.

Don't be upset at this comment/question.

This sounds like an awesome idea, in fact I think its one of the most unique ideas I have seen around here and I have been playing/modding Civ for a very long time. This is a complaint I have not only for this particular mod, but many mods posted around here. Why are there not more/any screen-shots of this in action? Why wouldn't you put up examples of how this would work in-game? A nice screen-shot of a bunch of different civs' cities with this going on would be cool to see and would really sell the idea.

Ah! I put a bunch of screenshots on the steam workshop page, but forgot to copy and paste them here too.
Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

As for why that is, I guess I think of civfanatics more as a place to discuss ideas and work in progress with fellow modders, and steam workshop as the mass audience of players to "sell" the mod to.

Great mod, my new favorite. Thx a lot for your fine work. :)

Best is, that you could decide on startup, which cities should be named and how (new district; conquest; capital).
Actually playing as Mao's China and wondering about the names...plus getting excited about tooltips note.

Are you planing for non-included civs too?

Would it be possible for you to release a separate version that has cqui as a requirement so it loads after and therefore overwrites the cqui tooltip (I think, right?). I really love seeing the etymologies when I mouse over cities, but after reinstalling all my mods I can't for the life of me get this to load after cqui.

Thanks for the screens. All of those names were generated using this? That's pretty cool. Although I think the Roman names seemed a bit off, I don't speak German or Polish but they looked pretty good and the English ones were pretty English. Nice work man. I am trying to think of a cool way to utilize this for something more than just generic names, perhaps if you conquer and keep a foreign city (or if one is ceded to you) maybe this can kick in and rename it to something more appropriate for your civ.

I am trying to think of a cool way to utilize this for something more than just generic names, perhaps if you conquer and keep a foreign city (or if one is ceded to you) maybe this can kick in and rename it to something more appropriate for your civ.

Suggest to give it a try, this feature you mentioned is allready in. Well, by choice at startup you could order weather to re-name all conquered cities all-time/sometimes/aso.
Quite cool in my eyes. I played China and conquered a French city, where it took the original name and added some chinese phrases.

Would it be possible for you to release a separate version that has cqui as a requirement so it loads after and therefore overwrites the cqui tooltip (I think, right?). I really love seeing the etymologies when I mouse over cities, but after reinstalling all my mods I can't for the life of me get this to load after cqui.
Just reversing the load order wouldn't be the best fix, because then you'd get CNG's version of the tooltip instead of CQUI's version, and wouldn't see any of the changes CQUI makes to plot tooltips.

So what I've done instead is make a separate mod that requires both CQUI and CNG, (so it loads after them both), and overwrites it with a combined version of the tooltip. here.

Are you planing for non-included civs too?
I'll add Persia and Macedon when that DLC comes out, but I'm not planning to add any mod civs right now. Alternate leader mods already work btw. so long as it's a leader for one of the official civs.

If another modder wants to add a wordlist to their own mod for CNG to use then I'm happy to help out. All that would be needed is to include a copy of CNG_NewTables.sql and then write out the list of words in XML/SQL.

Just reversing the load order wouldn't be the best fix, because then you'd get CNG's version of the tooltip instead of CQUI's version, and wouldn't see any of the changes CQUI makes to plot tooltips.

So what I've done instead is make a separate mod that requires both CQUI and CNG, (so it loads after them both), and overwrites it with a combined version of the tooltip. here.

I mean I didn't really care about CQUI's tooltip changes, but that works too so thanks so much!

I've had a go at writing a better 'is an island' function at https://gist.github.com/stupidpupil/8a99533ef51fa6e57dfe8e7af8c82bdc if you're interested.

The idea is that if you can head away from a city for three tiles in (roughly) the same direction, starting in any direction, without hitting water then you're not on an island.

It's not terribly clearly written I'm afraid. My limited testing seems to suggest it works alright. I think a sufficiently higgledy-piggledy peninsula might confuse it, but that seems a suitably realistic fail-state…

It should also be fairly efficient - most continental cities will only check three tiles, while most island cities will check around ten at most.

(I still think someone else must have solved this better!)

Last edited:
I've had a go at writing a better 'is an island' function at https://gist.github.com/stupidpupil/8a99533ef51fa6e57dfe8e7af8c82bdc if you're interested.

The idea is that if you can head away from a city for three tiles in (roughly) the same direction, starting in any direction, without hitting water then you're not on an island.

It's not terribly clearly written I'm afraid. My limited testing seems to suggest it works alright. I think a sufficiently higgledy-piggledy peninsula might confuse it, but that seems a suitably realistic fail-state…

It should also be fairly efficient - most continental cities will only check three tiles, while most island cities will check around ten at most.

(I still think someone else must have solved this better!)

Thanks for the assist! That does look more effective than what I had.

But actually, I figured out while writing a mapscript that the game already has a built-in function for checking the size of an area of land. :mischief: I'm now using this code for the function:
Code:
function CNG_IsIsland (pPlot)
    local iNumPlots = pPlot:GetArea():GetPlotCount();

if iNumPlots <= iIslandSizeLimit then
          return true;
    else
          return false;
    end
end
which is much simpler, and always gives the correct result.

Ah! I did wonder what GetArea() actually got you (and what it's used for in the game - map scripts makes sense).

Bug report: When using your mod, all Coast tiles are renamed to "Coast and Lake" which is terribly confusing. Furthermore, Lake tiles are still just called "Lake" which is bizarre. Of course, now that I know the Lakes aren't also renamed its obvious that "Coast and Lake" tiles are simply Coast...but its still weird.

Huh, you're right. I'm sure it didn't used to do that.

I'll take another look at the code when I get the chance, most likely it just needs updating for changes Firaxis made in a recent patch.

HandyVac updated City Name Generator [Civ VI] with a new update entry:

Bug Fixes and Localised Text

- fixed bug that prevented renaming when a city was founded adjacent to the edge of the map.
- fixed bug where coast tiles were displayed as "Coast and Lake" in tooltips.
- Prevented names being generated that are identical to the name of another city on the map.
- Added translated user interface texts for all languages the game is localised for. Etymologies are still in English only, but descriptive texts on Advanced setup screen and tooltips will display in the player's local language.

Read the rest of this update entry...

Top Bottom