1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ 4 Rants Thread

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Jatta Pake, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Steamwerks

Steamwerks Chieftain

Maybe I'm missing something, but it sounds like you're mostly restating my post. The main difference seems to be that you view the abundance of tasks as a flaw, whereas I think of it as an essential feature; it's part of what makes RoN unique. Since a player can't possibly manage everything at once (optimally), you have to master a triage approach. The fact that it's not very accessible compared to other RTS's does not constitute a "serious flaw" in my book.

2. noto2

noto2 Chieftain

Phil you've never played RON? You definitely have to try it! You can find a torrent easily, just search "rise of nations gold edition" which will get you the expansion pack as well, and no I don't feel bad about torrenting it because it's about 10 years old now. It's the closest thing to Civ but on a RTS platform, so obviously its controls are very different. In fact it's so similar to Civ that I believe that explains the rumour I heard of some staff overlap between RoN and Civ 3.

3. noto2

noto2 Chieftain

I've thought about it more and while I think a game can be fun with both a strategic and a tactical layer to keep track of, I think 1 UPH on the strategic map is not the way to do it. I really think it's the biggest fail for Civ 5.

4. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Biggest fail for civ V is that its design is just leaving beta, but its UI is in beta and its engine is in alpha.

5. Alchemind

Alchemind Chieftain

lol noob.

6. Qgqqqqq

Qgqqqqq Chieftain

120) The mac .dll thing stopping most mods :(

7. jarhead_leif

jarhead_leif Civ2ToT Modder

121: Let's talk about gunships.

I don't know where to start with. :mischief:

8. Qgqqqqq

Qgqqqqq Chieftain

121) The large imbalances with trait/civ power + overpowered mechanics (in vanilla that is)
    122) The (relative) lack of difference between cigs (again, only talking about vanilla)
    123) The stupidity of the workers nessecitating micro for a long time
    124) The lack of balance between game speeds, not just movement, but things like AI demands, war decs, forest growth, chopping, moving onto hills, India, etc.
    125) the (relative) lack of customisation for city governor - again demanding micro

Edit: damn! Ninja'd, just pretend it goes 122-126 :)

9. AdamCrock

AdamCrock Master of Darkness

127) SAM's are too powerful :D -> Carriers too weak :D Should be the other way around :D

10. Quasar1011

Quasar1011 King of Sylvania

Civ IV is very good (not as good as II or III IMO), I've yet to really get into V. The only "rant" I would have about IV is that railroads should still have unlimited movement. Real life example: What Stalin was able to do with his Siberian army, transfering it in a matter of weeks by rail to defend Moscow!

11. vincentz

vincentz Programmer

(this time serious "rants" from me)

129) limited logistics. basically a warrior "born" in 3900 BC can walk around the world if its connected. And huge armies can walk deep into enemy land without any effect (maybe a very little negative effect on economy). Might not be very liked if you are one of those that thinks micromanagement is a negative word. Personally MM is why I play Civ.
    Even a Civ1 system would work me thinks.

130) Stacks. TBH I kinda like stacks. I usually green pigs when some AI shows up on my shores with a 50 unit stack, but I think it would be better with the Call to Power system, or a combi of the two. And I would love a combined arms system, where 2 units could "assist" each other. A unit of archers alone wouldnt be able to do much harm, but with a unit of melee they would be "protected", while a unit of melee with some archers in the back, would be able to inflict considerily more damage.

131) Limited, stockable, expendable resources (no, ofcourse not : you ran out of cows) but especially for energi resources.

12. TheMulattoMaker

TheMulattoMaker Dictator of RF

You know what's seriously messed up about Civ4? There's no moonbase. Unacceptable.

13. jarhead_leif

132: You met Lincoln wearing tuxedo at 3,000BC. I thought they're only wearing loinclothes those days. ;)

14. AdamCrock

133: Scotland Yard ~2000 B.C - modern architecture surrounded by simple huts :D

15. noto2

noto2 Chieftain

yeah, Civ 3 changed the leader's clothes and background according to era...why did Firaxis abandon that? It was a very good idea

16. MilesBeyond

MilesBeyond Chieftain

I would literally pay good money to see a Let's Play of an 8-player MP game with a mod that allows only one unit per civ. That would be hilarious.

17. AdamCrock

..... :eek2: ..... :lmao: ^ this

18. freeluos

freeluos Chieftain

134] There is no weather, no seasons. It is all static.

135] Going to my next point -> non cultured tiles should have at least some natural influence. Oceans take tiles, new (vulcanic) lands are created.

136] My regular troops are running through snow/jungle. Normally regular troops will perish under low morale/sickness/etc. but here they regain strength and can continue for decades.

137] The RNG seems to have no influence on the economics.

138] It is crap.

That's enough for now. I'll be off playing. To find more crap of course.

19. jarhead_leif

Actually, there are...random events; hurricanes, el niño(global warming), and others. And turns doesn't take months but centuries, decades, and years. ;)
    Goodluck with that. :D

20. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

One person would get near a peaceful VC, then everyone would dogpile him and start backstabbing each other at the same time. It would be an extremely boring game, right up until someone almost won, and then the diplo aspect would be amazing!

But if you only had 1 unit, you'd have to choose between worker and military, or be completely defenseless while expanding :).

If someone had a choke point that could be covered by 1 unit, they'd win instantly. Nobody would want to attack it and risk losing themselves.

You could easily tell if someone deleted military to use a worker or settler and just walk into his undefended city too so everyone would probably have to go without tile improvements all game :lol:.