Civ 4 Rants Thread

I can't imagine Lincoln wearing anything else than that cylinder top hat of his. hmmm.. Lincoln in metal armor wearing a cilnder top hat shaped metal helmet would look cool ^^

Wow, that's new to me.

There are lots of leaders and eras. It would be another huge work if they had to do so. Sid's a game designer not a fashion designer, per see. :lol:

It is the one thing that I really miss from Civ 3.

I think it could be easily implemented, and I would be shocked if there weren't already mods that did implement it. I'd imagine there would only be three "eras," Early, Mid, Late, matching the music changes (so you'd have one look for Ancient/Classical, another for Medieval/Renaissance, and a third for Industrial/Modern)

It is the one thing that I really miss from Civ 3.

Yes, it was fun. Good reason to play a game of III or two now and then...

I think it could be easily implemented, and I would be shocked if there weren't already mods that did implement it.

Can't remember any. Might just be too much effort to come up with different textures and 3d-modelling for 52 leaders x 5 or so eras. And although it's fun it does not REALLY change the game - and once you have seen them all, you've seen them...

Can't remember any. Might just be too much effort to come up with different textures and 3d-modelling for 52 leaders x 5 or so eras. And although it's fun it does not REALLY change the game - and once you have seen them all, you've seen them...

Yes, it doesn't change the game but it does change your mood while playing. :)

I can imagine Shaka wearing tuxedo while his vassal, Roosevelt, still in furs and bearskin attire, hehe. Cute. ;)

Yes, it doesn't change the game but it does change your mood while playing. :)

I can imagine Shaka wearing tuxedo while his vassal, Roosevelt, still in furs and bearskin attire, hehe. Cute. ;)

Sure is ^^ Roosvelt cigar ! Come to think of it why does not Churchill is not depicted with the cigar in his hand :mischief:

139. The way the game handles the growth of an unhealthy city: "Oh no, we are unhealthy! Let's assign some people as citizens and let the city starve until it's not unhealthy anymore!"

Nah, that ain't right.
"We can't just stay here seeing them while they starve to death, I know a solution! Let's whip `em!!:mwaha:"

Cruel but fair. :mischief:

Well, but in all of these factory and coal plant powered industrial cities all of these sick people would be much better off working the tiles than being whipped. Whipping simply gets obsoleted by industrial production :)

Well, but in all of these factory and coal plant powered industrial cities all of these sick people would be much better off working the tiles than being whipped. Whipping simply gets obsoleted by industrial production :)

Come again ? Simply overpopulate Your lands. Only thing You have to worry about after monarchy is the slaves rebellion ;)

What about horseback archers on top of an elephant balista thing ^^ I imagine it would be hard to get a horse+rider+balista on the top of an elephant but everything is possible ^^

edit: watch this educational movie ^^

Link to video.

Ehh, build worker to within 1 hammer, then warrior to 1 hammer, delete starting warrior and complete worker, if someone attacks finish military.
Research archery, build archer and delete warrior when finished - kill choker and build worker
Blah, blah blah, sounds like it would end with a heap of micro and rest on who doesn't get choked.

Duel might work though.

Re: changing eras clothing: I always found it a bit ugly, and prefer resources spent on tweaking myself.

What about horseback archers on top of an elephant balista thing ^^ I imagine it would be hard to get a horse+rider+balista on the top of an elephant but everything is possible ^^

edit: watch this educational movie ^^

Link to video.

Oh no, no, no, no you can't do that - don't you know if you put a warrior on top of a horse on top of an elephant it is unstoppable by anything other than a deathstar? It would be horribly imbalanced

yeah, Civ 3 changed the leader's clothes and background according to era...why did Firaxis abandon that? It was a very good idea

Art assets. Creating the leaderhead models was the longest and most expensive aspect of the design process. In order to make multiple era leaderheads for each ruler, Firaxis would have had to cut civs and leaders from the game. (Making a new civ was extremely easy to do; the civs were limited by the number of art assets required, not programming.)

Remember that everything in game development comes with a cost. By working on one thing, the designers are not working on something else. There simply wasn't enough budget or timeframe to create the different era portraits for Civ4. I know, I was there. :)

Remember that everything in game development comes with a cost. By working on one thing, the designers are not working on something else. There simply wasn't enough budget or timeframe to create the different era portraits for Civ4. I know, I was there.

This is an important element, and I wish people would remember it during discussions about DLC vs functional multiplayer (entire 1st year of civ V's existence) or how the engine runs the game.

It is indeed very easy to throw in new civ names/UU (modders do it all the time), the art isn't. I'm still frustrated that karadoc basically solo-fixed all the control/UI problems in civ IV mod yet nobody at firaxis bothered despite knowing the issues forever (DoW w/o prompt, moving against one's will, unit selection hotkeys, waypoints).

V prioritized its graphics way too far ahead of how the game actually plays, and I don't mean their design choices (though vanilla was quite broken from a design standpoint, too). We're talking about a modern game where the engine can't keep up with a human being making unit selections with the shift key...that's one of the most straight-up pathetic displays you'll see in any AAA title. Then again, if you ask professional programmers how they feel about the way civ IV and V are coded, the responses are both enlightening and depressing at the same time.

You see a lot of programmers point out major flaws in the way the code was written. How many do you see say "you know...I looked at this and it really isn't that bad. I would expect this to run in a fairly optimal fashion"? I haven't seen that happen yet.

The ONLY quality thing any civ game has is its strategic/flow design. Firaxis sucks at building/using engines, making a good UI, and avoiding serious (DoW without prompt, often without actually holding alt) and occasionally game breaking (unlimited free great people in civ V, unlimited oracle/lib techs in civ IV) bugs.

129) limited logistics. basically a warrior "born" in 3900 BC can walk around the world if its connected.

I would play a mod that added just this, if it could be made to work with the same general level of abstraction as the rest of the game, and didn't just make it another box to tick. "Amateurs study tactics; professionals study logistics."

Top Bottom