Civ 5: Civilizations/Leaders Wanted!

yes, they are. quite a few of the unique abilities already in the game are outside of the box, so it would only make sense to come up with more ideas like this, which is why i had suggested the trade routes with city-states earlier.

as for the caçadores, i do like the mobile citadel idea. i don't know if 25 extra hammers is enough to offset the bonus, though.

Heh, Liex thinks the bonus should stack or a small promotion should be included and you think the unit should cost more hammers :crazyeye:

If the bonus stacked, the most damage a unit could lose is 60 health...it would need to be surrounded for this to happen. Personally, I don't see this as OP...in fact it would make for one interesting AI opponent (outdated caçadores damaging the player's units much?).

I don't think the unit should cost additional hammers, but you can try to persuade me otherwise. Personally, I think the bonus, though versatile, would benefit a defensive player far more than an offensive player; this is fitting for a CS manipulation UA and Carrack UU Portugal.

Kjmer

Leader: Suryavarman II

Unique improvement: Baray
Requires construction
Can only be built in tiles with access to fresh water (that is, near rivers or lakes)
+2 food, +1 culture +1 culture with archeology, this improvement will not destroy forests or junges underneath

Unique unit: Ballista Elephant - Replaces crossbowman
Combat strenght: 10
Ranged strenght: 15
Move: 2
Range: 2
+100% strenght against calvary units and cities

Unique Ability: Angkor sincretism

You incorporate every pantheon of each contacted rival civilization to your own religion

Portugese

Leader: Joao II

Unique Unit: Nao- replaces caravel
Combat strenght: 20
Ranged strenght: 8
Move: 7
+100% strenght when attacking cities

Unique Building: Feitoria - replaces seaport
+1 production and gold produced by sea resources
+15% production and +5 XP to sea units
Each feitoria produces 1 unique luxury resource for the Portugese: earthenware

Unique Ability: overseas empire

Each of your cities located in a landmass different from the one of your capital gives +1 gold, food and production to your capital

Kjmer

Leader: Suryavarman II

Unique improvement: Baray
Requires construction
Can only be built in tiles with access to fresh water (that is, near rivers or lakes)
+2 food, +1 culture +1 culture with archeology, this improvement will not destroy forests or junges underneath

Unique unit: Ballista Elephant - Replaces crossbowman
Combat strenght: 10
Ranged strenght: 15
Move: 2
+100% strenght against calvary units and cities

Unique Ability: Angkor sincretism

You incorporate every pantheon of each contacted rival civilization to your own religion

Interesting ideas here, but there are a few issues; the UA is actually pretty awesome as a start, but I like playing on huge maps with a lot of civs, the UA would by very OP as it provided players like me six bonus beliefs, essentially an extra Byzantine religion. The UU is great, just curious why it replaces the Crossbowman. The Baray as a UI instead of a UB is interesting, +2 Food is okay for most terrains but a Baray on a Flood Plain or Oasis would be producing 5 Food, that might be OP because the food doesn't just provide for the citizen working but enough for a second cotizen with 1 food left over. It may be worth restricting it to Grassland, Plains and Tundra.

Portugese

Leader: Joao II

Unique Unit: Nao- replaces caravel
Combat strenght: 20
Ranged strenght: 8
Move: 7
+100% strenght when attacking cities

Unique Building: Feitoria - replaces seaport
+1 production and gold produced by sea resources
+15% production and +5 XP to sea units
Each feitoria produces 1 unique luxury resource for the Portugese: earthenware

Unique Ability: overseas empire

Each of your cities located in a landmass different from the one of your capital gives +1 gold, food and production to your capital

Portugal is also interesting; the UA is excellent but may also be a bit OP, it sounds a bit like Petra in a city surrounded by Desert tiles - each new oversees city is another citizen working the bonus Desert. It may be better to restrict the bonus to coastal oversees cities connected by sea trade routes and then doubling the bonus. The Nao is excellent. The Feitoria is interesting, I personally tried a UI in City-States. It looks great, 5 XP seems a bit underpowered compared to the Military buildings, have you considered increasing the bonus to 15 XP?

Both cool ideas I'd like to see in action.

Heh, Liex thinks the bonus should stack or a small promotion should be included and you think the unit should cost more hammers :crazyeye:

If the bonus stacked, the most damage a unit could lose is 60 health...it would need to be surrounded for this to happen. Personally, I don't see this as OP...in fact it would make for one interesting AI opponent (outdated caçadores damaging the player's units much?).

I don't think the unit should cost additional hammers, but you can try to persuade me otherwise. Personally, I think the bonus, though versatile, would benefit a defensive player far more than an offensive player; this is fitting for a CS manipulation UA and Carrack UU Portugal.

I'm okay with it stacking. And I'm actually not sure how much I would increase the hammers by, since 250 hammers is probably too many, but anything else is between 225 and 250 is kind of negligible.

Just a small thing I noticed - in the hyperlinks the Toltecs are not included in the Mesoamerica section - but in the actual list of suggested civs they are.

Portugal is needed. I mean... Austria and not Portugal?

There will be uploaded at steam workshop a Portuguese civilization made by Hyperon. I helped to create it and gave some ideas. Take a look and see the perfection of the civ. It is something like that we need to finish the civilization V civilizations.

Confirmed Expansion Pack Civs - Obsolete Ideas

Austria
Leader: Franz Joseph I
Capital: Vienna
Starting Bias: Grassland/Hills
Music Theme: Gott erhalte Franza de Kaiser
Unique Unit: Gebirgsjäger. Replaces Riflemen. Cost 220, not 200. Strength 25. Double Flanking bonus to allied nearby units. +1 Sight next to Mountain tiles. Historically, they played a support role in combat as a recon unit or as skirmishers. They were dangerously effective in both roles.
Unique Building: Concert Hall. Replaces Opera House. Cost 230, not 250. +4 culture. Maintenance 0, not 3.
Unique Ability: Crownlands. Eased building requirements for National Wonders; required building is needed to be build only in 4 cities also Capital city produces +X amount of gold per puppet city. If Austrian city is captured by another player, its citizens will resist for twice as long as usual.

Byzantine
Leader: Theodora
Capital: Constantinople
Starting Bias: Plains/Coast
Music Theme: Phos Hilaron or O Monogenes yios
Unique Unit: Varangian Guard. Replaces Longswordman. Cost: 150. Strength: 16. Movement 2. Start with Great Generals I promotion (Combat Likely To Create Great Generals) and gets a bonus when defending (garrisoned) Cities (30).
Unique Unit: Cataphract. Replaces Knight. Cost: 160. Strength: 20. Movement 3. Can Flank attack catapults and trebuchets. Doesn't receive defensive bonuses.
Unique Ability: From the Ashes of the Empires. 25% of Culture output is added to Science every turn. Double yields from all Great People improvements.

Carthage
Leader: Queen Dido
Capital: Carthage
Starting Bias: Plains/Coast
Music Theme:
Unique Unit: Sacred Band. Replaces Spearman. Cost 60. Strength 8. Movement 2. Slightly stronger than regular Spearman and also get +25% Combat Strength VS Cities.
Unique Unit2: Carthaginian War Elephant. New Unit (doesn't replace anything), comes available at Discovery of Horseback Riding. Starts with Blitz promotion and has a special ability to cross over mountain tiles when a Great General is present. Cost 100. Strength 14. Movement 2.
Unique Ability: Mercenary Armies. -20% Discount to All Unit Purchases and Units can be Upgraded at Half the Cost.

Celts
Leader: Boudica
Capital: Bibracte
Starting Bias: Grassland/Forest/Hills
Music Theme: Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau and some folk music
Unique Unit: Highlander. Replaces Swordsman. Can move through difficult terrain as though it were clear (all tiles cost 1mp per hex). Also gains Culture from killing units; +3Culture per unit. Cost 90. Strength 12. Movement 3, not 2. Requires Iron.
Unique Improvement: Dun. Replaces Fort improvement. Unit in it gains double experience points from combat and heals more quickly.
Unique Ability: Pagan Militants. +15% to Military Units in Rough Terrain and every Forested Hill tile gives 2+ Culture.

Ethiopia
Leader: Menelik II
Capital: Aksum
Starting Bias: Plains/Desert/Hills
Music Theme: Wodefit Gesgeshi widd inna Ityoppiya with folk instruments
Unique Unit: Oromo Warrior. Replaces Musketman. Cost 130. Strength 17. Movement 3.
Unique Building: Stelae. Replaces Monument. Cost 60. Maintenance 1. Culture 2. Contributes 3 Golden Age points per turn (does not count as happiness).
Unique Ability: Modernization. Any technology already researched by two other players is researched slightly (+25%) faster by Ethiopia. Also every hill within Ethiopian border provides a Free Zone of Control against enemy units whom have Declared War.
Note: Tech speed up is gained when two other Civs have researched the Technology and Free Zone of Control from hills is active only when you are being attacked, not if Ethiopia is the oppressor.

Huns
Leader: Attila
Capital: N/A
Music Theme:
Unique Unit: Javelin Thrower. Replaces Sperman. Cost: 50. Strength: 8. Ranged Strength: 6. Range 2. Movement 3. Both melee and ranged unit.
Unique Unit2: Mounted Archery. Replaces Horseman. Cost: 80. Strength 10. Ranged Strength: 12. Movement 5. Has a Foreign Lands Bonus: Combat Bonus outside Friendly Territory (20).
Unique Ability: Scorched Earth. Units gain Double Experience from Combat. Also +25 Culture towards Social Policies from every Destroyed City and have unique ability to destroy Capital and City State cities, which gives +50 Culture to the Huns.

Maya
Leader: Pakal
Capital: Palenque
Starting Bias: Plains/Jungle/Grassland
Music Theme: Xtoles
Unique Unit: Hulche Thrower. Replaces Pikeman. Strength: 6, Move 2, Ranged Strength 11, Range 2. Unlike the pikeman which this unit replaces, the hulche thrower attacks at range. Unique promotion: +25% attack bonus against adjacent enemies.
Unique Tile Improvement: Step Pyramid. +1 Culture. Requires Philosophy. Can improve hills, plains, grasslands, forests, marshes, or jungles. Astronomy adds +1 Science.
Unique Ability: Cycles of the Sun and Moon. Whenever Maya is the first civilization to adopt a social policy, the empire receives a boost to science. Whenever Maya is the first civilization to learn a technology, the empire receives a boost to culture. The size of the bonus scales to the number of civ's currently in the game (more civ's = bigger boost for being first).

Netherlands
Leader: Willem van Oranje
Capital: Amsterdam
Starting Bias: Grassland/Coast/Rivers
Music Theme: Het Wilhelmus
Unique Improvement: Poldermill. Available at the Discovery of Economics. Can be build in Coastal and Lake tiles. Provides +1 Production and +2 Gold to the tile and Turns one adjectant tile to a Grassland tile.
Unique Improvement: Dike. Available at the Discovery of Steam Power. Can be build in River tiles. Gives +1 Production and +2 Culture.
Unique Ability: Blooming Empire. Every Luxury Resource tile has extra +1Gold and +1Happiness. Double Income from Traderoutes during Golden Ages.
New National Wonder: Delta Works

Sweden ( Swedish Finland )
Leader: Gustavus Adolphus
Capital: Stockholm
Starting Bias: Coast/Grassland/Hills
Music Theme: Du gamla, du fria with some folk instruments
Unique Improvement: Borg (Castle). Prerequisite Techs: Engineering. Cost: 50 Gold and 10 Faith each when build (takes 2 turns). Like Forts and Citadels, Borgs can be build outside of Cultural borders. They spread religion in 5-10 hex radius (slightly less than City) and give free city walls if city is placed in tile that has Borg in it. Note: Borgs are effective way to spread your Religion to the neighbouring Civs and securing good City spots before Barbarians or rival Civs take them. Also good way to "reserve" those sites if unwise to start early city expansion, by Happiness, Economy or other reasons.
Unique Unit: Hackapell. Replaces Lancer. Cost 185. Strength 22. Movement 4. Start with Charge promotion. Hackapells also give small amount of Production instead of Gold to the City when Disbanded. (This is to represent the fact that most of Hackapells were Finnish working mans and returned to cultivate farms, build roads and work in mines when not needed in combat anymore.)
Unique Ability: Swedish Liberalism. All new cities increase cost of Social Policies 20% less than with other Civs.
Scenario: The Great Power Era. Agenda: Baltic Sea Dominion. Info: The Swedish Empire refers to the Kingdom of Sweden between 1561 (after the Swedish conquest of Estonia) and 1721 (when Sweden officially ceded large areas in current south-eastern Finland to the emerging great power of Russia). During this time, Sweden was one of the great European powers. In Swedish, the period is called Stormaktstiden, literally meaning "the Great Power Era". the beginning is then often taken as 1611 (when Gustavus Adolphus ascended to the throne) and the end as 1718 (death of Charles XII and end of most fighting in Great Northern War). To the increase in political power, most notably by becoming one of the two guarantee powers for the Peace of Westphalia, was added an increase of territory that allowed near complete realization of the Dominium Maris Baltici concept.

Okay then. Have of this stuff is wrong no offence.

yeah, uh, notice the "obsolete ideas" part. that means that it's all ideas that people here had, not that it's official civilization stuff.

When gods and Kings came, I got disappointed because there was no Portugal.. The Portuguese were, in my opinion (and I am not saying this because I am Portuguese), more important in world history than the Iroquois, Sweden or Austria. It would be good to see them back in the game as official DLC or belonging to an expansion.

Do you think they will appear in civV?
Do you know about any article that refers to this topic?

Moderator Action: Merged into the general civilization suggestions thread.

When gods and Kings came, I got disappointed because there was no Portugal.. The Portuguese were, in my opinion (and I am not saying this because I am Portuguese), more important in world history than the Iroquois, Sweden or Austria. It would be good to see them back in the game as official DLC or belonging to an expansion.

Do you think they will appear in civV?
Do you know about any article that refers to this topic?

No news yet, but the Portugese capital Lisbon is a city-state in the G+K expansion.

South America: While I like the idea of adding one if not two more options from South America, many of the pre-Colombian proposals represented regional groups that were pretty well incorporated into the Inca empire (although I would love to see a Nazca lines tile improvement). The Wari-Tiwanaku were the only ones to really expand into a persistent empire that spanned a diverse region, and even then, much of their territory and culture would be incorporated into the Incan Empire (the Supa Inca himself claimed descent from Lake Titicaca, on whose banks was the Tiwanaku ruins can be found.

While I thought the idea of a Gran Colombia to represent the Latin American republics was really cool, it simply was not enduring enough to be a good addition. Adding Argentina is interesting and I like it as well, but perhaps choosing one Latin American republic, even a large and influential one, creates more problems than it solves. Brazil is a better selection, but Portugal would probably be the more obvious choice. I think a South American/Latin American mod would be the only place to add Argentina, Gran Colombia, Brazil, and everyone else.

I had pondered before the Mapuche would be a suitable addition. I had said dismissed the idea many times, but then the Huns were added in G&K. While the Mapuche were, quite frankly, noble savages and not much of a civilization -- the same might also be said of the Iroquois, although they had been more organized and their polity more lasting. The Mapuche (and I am not writing from bias here) become perhaps the most suitable addition because of their successful resistance against both the Incas and the Spanish (and for many years anyone else). However I would suggest the traits be adjusted accordingly:

Mapuche
Lautaro or Colocolo
Shield: Either Kultrun (may be difficult to reproduce to scale, but would be more native looking), or the Banner of Laurotaro (white 8-pointed star on blue field)
La Araucana (UA): +100% defense bonus from rivers and forests, silver mines produce 10 culture, double happiness.
Unique Unit: Malón Raider, Replaces Knight, receives defence bonus, attack bonus versus cities, +100% gold from pillage.
Unique Great Person: Toqui, received whenever war is declared, replaces great general, combat, healing, movement (+1 for all) bonus within five tiles.

I'd like to see the Mapuche as well, more than any other Amerindian. But, if they're going to add another Amerindian civ, I'm sure it's going to be a North American people, such as the Sioux or the Comanche. For this reason I think civs like Argentina, Brazil and even Colombia have more chances than the Mapuche or, I don't know, the Tupi and the Arawak.

As for your suggestion, I'd avoid giving bonuses to a specific Luxury Resource. For instance, silver doesn't spawn in every map you play, so part of that UA would be useless.

I'd like to see the Mapuche as well, more than any other Amerindian. But, if they're going to add another Amerindian civ, I'm sure it's going to be a North American people, such as the Sioux or the Comanche. For this reason I think civs like Argentina, Brazil and even Colombia have more chances than the Mapuche or, I don't know, the Tupi and the Arawak.

As for your suggestion, I'd avoid giving bonuses to a specific Luxury Resource. For instance, silver doesn't spawn in every map you play, so part of that UA would be useless.

If you remember in Civ4, such things as crucial resources for your civ selection not to be a total disaster existed (horses from Byzantines, iron for Rome), but now in Civ5 there are start biases. Even if a hypothetical Colocolo didn't start next to silver, it makes the game more interesting to have that objective.

While I agree that there could well be another North American people added to the mix, probably the Sioux. But that would give no less than four different people from North America to choose from -- and the Mapuche, as a strong raiding civ with equally strong defense bonus would be very interesting, rivalling Ethopia as the civ you want to be playing when facing an invasion from a much stronger rival. Just as important it would be the addition of the historic foes of the Incan Empire, and a people who maintained their independence for much longer than the Iroquois.

If you remember in Civ4, such things as crucial resources for your civ selection not to be a total disaster existed (horses from Byzantines, iron for Rome), but now in Civ5 there are start biases. Even if a hypothetical Colocolo didn't start next to silver, it makes the game more interesting to have that objective.

I guess the start biases only dictate the terrain, not the resources, much less the luxury resources. In Civ V there are UAs and UBs that benefit from strategic resources - such as iron, horses, oil and uranium, which can be found in every map - but no civ is tied to a specific luxury resource that may or may not be in the game. Of course, that can change in the future, but I doubt it. By the way, +10 culture from a silver mine would be completely unbalanced.

You can also use the [plain][/plain] tags to get the codes showing up ;)

To make one like it appears in the OP, it's this:

[font=Century Gothic][set_anchor=(Civ Name)][size=4](Civ Name)[/size][/set_anchor]
[size=3]Leader name[/size]
[i] UA Name[/i]. (UA description).
[i][u](Capital)[/u][/i]
Colours - ([B]Navy Blue, White[/B])- [b] [color=COLOUR A HEXADECIMAL]([/color][color=COLOUR B HEXADECIMAL](([/color][color=COLOUR A HEXADECIMAL]O[/color][color=COLOUR B HEXADECIMAL]))[/color][color=COLOUR A HEXADECIMAL])[/color][/b]
Unique Unit: (Unique Unit description)
Unique Component: (Unique Component description) [/font]

Uhh...what do you do for the colors? Something about hexadecimal numbers, but where do you put them? I can't find the break in the code to put them in. Thanks in advance for any help.

Uhh...what do you do for the colors? Something about hexadecimal numbers, but where do you put them? I can't find the break in the code to put them in. Thanks in advance for any help.

You need to put a number sign (#) before the hexadecimal number: [color=#hexnumber][/color]

For instance, to get this: (((O))) you'd need to type this: [b][color=#D4AF37]([/color][color=#82CBF5](([/color][color=#D4AF37]O[/color][color=#82CBF5]))[/color][color=#D4AF37])[/color][/b]

I just posted a new Portugal mod for G&K via the Steam Workshop. Here are the details:

Leader: Manuel I, the Fortunate.

Lords of Exploration (Unique Trait): Embarked units gain +1 movement, +1 sight, and are better able to defend themselves. Free Explorador (Great General) when you research Compass.

Explorador (Unique Unit): This Portuguese Unique Great Person replaces the Great General. While providing the same combat bonuses as a normal Great General, the Explorador ignores terrain when moving and can build forts, trading posts, and all the luxury resource improvements, except the quarry.

Feitoria (Unique Building): The Feitoria is the Portuguese unique building, replacing the Harbor. It allows "water routes" between cities, increases the city's defenses and naval unit production, and provides +1 Gold for each luxury resource worked by the city.

Best Wishes,
Joseph

Interesting ideas here, but there are a few issues; the UA is actually pretty awesome as a start, but I like playing on huge maps with a lot of civs, the UA would by very OP as it provided players like me six bonus beliefs, essentially an extra Byzantine religion. The UU is great, just curious why it replaces the Crossbowman. The Baray as a UI instead of a UB is interesting, +2 Food is okay for most terrains but a Baray on a Flood Plain or Oasis would be producing 5 Food, that might be OP because the food doesn't just provide for the citizen working but enough for a second cotizen with 1 food left over. It may be worth restricting it to Grassland, Plains and Tundra.

Welp, you are right: the UA is too much overpowered and dependant of the number of civs that you are playing with. The UU replaces the crossbowman because of its position on the tech tree and because its stats are essentially a beefed up crossbowman. I think, however, that the UI is fine as it is, for the Baray won't recieve the same food bonuses of the farm (irrigation and the like).

About the possible replacement for the UA, I cannot decide between these ideas:

Possible Unique Ability 1: Angkor Sincretism
You gain one extra pantheon when founding a religion, and an additional one when improving your religion

Possible Unique Ability 2: Angkor city of wonders
+30% to faith, food and wonder production in your capital

Possible Unique Ability 3: Artstyle fussion
Wonders in your empire generates +3 culture and faith each

Portugal is also interesting; the UA is excellent but may also be a bit OP, it sounds a bit like Petra in a city surrounded by Desert tiles - each new oversees city is another citizen working the bonus Desert. It may be better to restrict the bonus to coastal oversees cities connected by sea trade routes and then doubling the bonus.

It is true, it is a little tad too overpowered. I like your suggestion, but my original idea was to promote a coastatal and wide type of playstyle (that is, a replication of colonialism), and that would mean that puppeted cities would need to be factorized too, so I would modify it like this:

Unique Ability: Overseas empire
Any coastatal city under your control (puppeted or otherwise) on a landmass other than yours gives +1 gold, food and production to your capital.

The Nao is excellent. The Feitoria is interesting, I personally tried a UI in City-States. It looks great, 5 XP seems a bit underpowered compared to the Military buildings, have you considered increasing the bonus to 15 XP?

That is actually a good idea, specially since the UA would be nerfed :)

Both cool ideas I'd like to see in action.

Great to know that you like them! :D unfortunately I am cursed with good ideas and zero programming / modding knowdegle (long past are the times when editing a .txt file would grant you a mod). My only hope is for modders to like my ideas and incorporate them to their own.

Welp, you are right: the UA is too much overpowered and dependant of the number of civs that you are playing with. The UU replaces the crossbowman because of its position on the tech tree and because its stats are essentially a beefed up crossbowman. I think, however, that the UI is fine as it is, for the Baray won't recieve the same food bonuses of the farm (irrigation and the like).

About the possible replacement for the UA, I cannot decide between these ideas:

Possible Unique Ability 1: Angkor Sincretism
You gain one extra pantheon when founding a religion, and an additional one when improving your religion

Possible Unique Ability 2: Angkor city of wonders
+30% to faith, food and wonder production in your capital

Possible Unique Ability 3: Artstyle fussion
Wonders in your empire generates +3 culture and faith each

It is true, it is a little tad too overpowered. I like your suggestion, but my original idea was to promote a coastatal and wide type of playstyle (that is, a replication of colonialism), and that would mean that puppeted cities would need to be factorized too, so I would modify it like this:

Unique Ability: Overseas empire
Any coastatal city under your control (puppeted or otherwise) on a landmass other than yours gives +1 gold, food and production to your capital.

That is actually a good idea, specially since the UA would be nerfed :)

Great to know that you like them! :D unfortunately I am cursed with good ideas and zero programming / modding knowdegle (long past are the times when editing a .txt file would grant you a mod). My only hope is for modders to like my ideas and incorporate them to their own.

This forum needs a :handshake: emote! :p Or are negotiations not expressed here? :lol:

Join the club, I've been afflicted with the same alement, I post a civ every so often, being meaning to fix up my Sioux idea, and I have a Zulu idea to post. I'm actually working on concepts for a number of mods for both 4 and 5, but have no talent in making them. Anyway;
I much like the city of wonders UA most, the modified sincerestism is, while nowhere near as powerful now, still a bit OP; the religion is now a better version of the Byzantine religion. Okay, my Khmer idea had the Ballista Elephant replace the Catapult so it seemed a bit strange to me, but I understand the idea. Well okay, I'll still enjoy using Barays.
That's okay, I can see how the UA replicates colonial expansion. Recently I had a weird idea, since the Conquistador could settle on foreign lands, why not the Nao/Carrack? Only naval unit capable of expansion, has a nice ring to it.
Anyway, again cool ideas I'd like to see, and no worries on the suggestions.

Top Bottom