Civ 5: Civilizations/Leaders Wanted!

Looks good, Black. I like the ZOC part of the Zulu UA. The Sumerian UA and UB might be a little bit too powerful given the start bias. Maybe the Ziggurat shouldn't provide culture, particularly as the rivers are going to provide enormous amounts of culture.

Edit: Perhaps the Sumerians could have the onager as a UU (chariot replacement): no horses required, able to melee attack as well as ranged, and no penalty for attacking across rivers.

I like your version of the Ziggurat:

Here is another version I was thinking of:
Replaces Shrine: May be built without Pottery - Each Ziggurat produces +2 faith and reduces the cost of great prophets. +1 Happy on Rivers

I fixed the UU to more reflect the combat styles of the Texas Rangers. Too OP? I don't think so, as even though blitz looks good on paper, you have to realize that that also means that you lose health twice as fast. You can just afford to do more hit-and-run with this unit.

Texan Empire
Samuel Houston
Remember the Alamo. All forts and citadels grant +50% :c5rangedstrength:. Oil, oil wells, and oil rigs are discovered at Steam Power.
Austin
Colors - Navy Blue, White- (((O)))
Unique Unit: Texas Ranger, replaces Calvary. Costs 230 :c5production: and has 34 :c5strength: and 4 :c5moves:. Moves double speed through rough terrain, and starts with the Blitz promotion.
Unique Building: Saloon, replaces Theater. Grants 3 local :c5happy:. Costs 100 :c5production: and has no :c5gold: upkeep costs.

Harappan Empire (Indus Valley Civilization)

Ruler: The Harappan Counsel (represented by multiple persons, as we don’t know of any single Harappan authority)

UA: Craftsmanship -- +1 Gold per worked Gold, Silver, Gems, Copper, Stone, and Marble.

UB: City Drains (replaces Aqueducts) – Same effect as Aqueducts plus +1 food per worked farm tile adjacent to city.

UU: Artisans (replaces workers) – 25% faster at creating improvements than workers.

Loved, loved your ideas, but I concur with other posters: the UA is far too weak. I would buff it with something along these lines:

Craftmanship: +1 gold, production and culture per worked improved tiles with Gold, Silver, Gems, Copper, Stone, and Marble.

Loved, loved your ideas, but I concur with other posters: the UA is far too weak. I would buff it with something along these lines:

Craftmanship: +1 gold, production and culture per worked improved tiles with Gold, Silver, Gems, Copper, Stone, and Marble.

I don't like UA's that are dependent on your starting resource, though. What if you get a partial jungle start? Highly unlikely to get any of the resources you mentioned, especially in your starting city. It's more of a gamble than Spain.

I would do it something like this: +1 culture and +1 production for every luxury resource. I think that would be better than limiting it to the resources you mentioned above.

MOAR ideas for civs:

Brazil

UU: Bandeirante - replaces musketman
Strenght: 16
Movement: 2
It treats forest and jungles like roads, +15% strenght on forest and jungles
It gains gold whenever it kills a enemy unit or captures an enemy city
It can expend one turn to reclaim a tile adjacent to your borders for your civilization (Note: this works only with unclaimed land or with the lands of a civilization that you are at war with. Annexing land is considered an act of war).

UB: Soccer stadium - replaces stadium
+5 happiness
+1 happiness per 3 citizens on that city

UA: Carnival
Cities during the "we love the king day" grows at triple rate and generates triple amount of culture. Whenever a city enters on the we love the king's day, you gain one extra popullation unit

A civilization suited for a quite unique style of play, it favours vertical empires with acess to luxury resourcess, that is, with vast swaths of land under your control, a task for which its UU, the Bandeirante, is quite apt at. The UA can help you to grow a lot if you have lots of luxury resources, and the Soccer stadium can give you the final extra punch needed in order to build huge metropolies, compensating the fact that it is a late UB.

Mali

UA: Mansa's pilgrimage

Deserts acts like roads in order to generate trade routes between cities. Mali converts 1/3rd of its faith output into culture

UU: Farari
Replaces knight
Combat strenght: 20
Movements: 3
Adjacent melee units regenerates health at twice the usual speed (health promotion), +50% to the chances of a great general appearing. It cost an additional 20% hammers to be built

UB: Ceca
Replaces mint. Each gold, salt, copper and silver worked by this city generates +3 gold

A quite versatile civilization, the cheap city connection united to their UB grants boatloads of money and are quite suited for a wide type of empire as Mali was. However, their faith to culture conversion can give you quite de edge when opting for a cultural game, and their UU fits almost any type of play.

I don't like UA's that are dependent on your starting resource, though. What if you get a partial jungle start? Highly unlikely to get any of the resources you mentioned, especially in your starting city. It's more of a gamble than Spain.

I would do it something like this: +1 culture and +1 production for every luxury resource. I think that would be better than limiting it to the resources you mentioned above.

Well, I like your idea! But I would nerf it a bit by requiring said tiles to be improved (so you would put these artisans UU to good use!)

Well, I like your idea! But I would nerf it a bit by requiring said tiles to be improved (so you would put these artisans UU to good use!)

Oh, yeah. I forgot to mention that. Also should be a worked tile, as well.

Looks good, Black. I like the ZOC part of the Zulu UA. The Sumerian UA and UB might be a little bit too powerful given the start bias. Maybe the Ziggurat shouldn't provide culture, particularly as the rivers are going to provide enormous amounts of culture.

Edit: Perhaps the Sumerians could have the onager as a UU (chariot replacement): no horses required, able to melee attack as well as ranged, and no penalty for attacking across rivers.

maybe the chariot could just be a melee unit with some kind of cool promotion so it's not just a fast warrior? that way you get to get an early start on melee promotions for the horseman and knight

This isn't perfect, but I'm hoping someone can help me out

Portugal

Capital: Lisbon
Leader: No idea. any Portuguese people that can help me out
UA: Trading post empire. All naval units receive a +25% bonus against cities. trade routes made with harbors gain +1 gold
UU: Carrack. gains plus one movement and starts with supply. replaces frigate.
Not sure on the second UU, UI, or UB. any ideas?

There was a huge conversation on all the unique components for Portugal a few pages or so back, so I'd look there. As for the leader, you can always I with Joao again, or Afonso I or something

Hmmm...

After creating a Texas civ, it makes me wonder how to do other short-lived nations like the CSA and Nazi Germany. I imagine it would be hard to create successful UA's and UU's and UB's without being offensive. The problem with Nazi Germany is that normal Germany has the Panzer, so that would be hard to go around. Any UB's? All I can think of is concentration camps...but again, that's offensive to most if not all people.

UA of Nazi Germany: The World Wars - All countries continuously declare war on you and hate you!

Nazi Germany being in the game is going to offend people anyway. I'm sure there are people who are offended by the panzer being in the game in the first place, just like some people were offended by Stalin and Mao being in the game so many times before. I like that they keep putting the panzer in the game, though, because late unique components are so rare.

A weak ua doesn't really matter when your building gives you as much extra food as the ub does.

I think a CSA would be feasible.
Leader: Jefferson Davis
Capital: Montgomery

UA: State's Rights: All happiness buildings produce 1 extra :c5happy:
UU: CSS Virginia, replaces Ironclad. Ignores zone of control. +25% combat strength against ships unlocked before Industrialization.
UB: Slave Market, replaces Market. +3 :c5gold: and 25% :c5gold:. +1 :c5gold: and +1 :c5production: from every plantation in this city.

I don't know about the CSS Virginia, I was trying to model it after the real one that the Confederates made. Any ideas for that would be well appreciated.

If there are any ideas for Great General replacements that would be helpful, too.

Nazi Germany:

Leader: Adolf Hitler
Colors: Red and Black. Symbol would be eagle, not swastika as this is illegal in Germany
UA: Master Race (or Eugenics if people find this offensive): cities founded by the player cost 1/2 unhappiness. Occupied cities produce 2 x unhappiness.

UU: U Boat: replaces submarine. Can attack targets on land. OR: increased strength against embarked units.

UB: SS Headquarters: replaces Police Station. +15 experience for units trained in this city. Note: this means German troops could possibly get to level 4-5 through buildings.

What do you think?

For the Slave Market it almost begs a negative side effect to be included if it were included.

Or for the civ as a whole. Something like a massive double edged sword. 30% faster growth - but every time a city attempts to grow there is a chance it only creates an unemployed citizen which can't be redeployed elsewhere

Both of these last 2 civs are too risky in general.

Both of these last 2 civs are too risky in general.

I think the CSA could work, though the above mentioned UB would proberly have to change. Maybe a UI that makes plantations more effective, or a UA like Plantaions give double resorces, citizens working plantatons onlr require 1 food, do not produce unhappiness, that sort of thing. Negitive unique things are never fun

Top Bottom