Civ 5 Confirmed Features

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.bitmob.com/articles/import-your-civilization-4-maps-to-civ-5

Hexes! City states! No more unit stacking! No religion! Fewer egomaniacal perpetrators of genocide as leaders!

For us aspiring historical revisionaries, Civilization 5 will be a much different experience than the previous installment. Some may find leaving behind their most frequently played scenarios difficult to swallow.

But fret not! I recently spoke with Jon Shafer, lead designer for the upcoming PC strategy title, at this year's E3 about Civ 5's in-game mod browser. During the interview, he revealed that the world builder tool will enable players to import and convert their favorite Civilization 4 maps!

Jon Shafer: You can import Civ 4 maps into the world builder and convert them into Civ 5 maps, including all the units and cities and stuff on it -- the conversion process will just do that for you automatically. We’re hoping that the first week Civ 5 is out, people will use that function and port all of the Civ 4 stuff over to Civ 5, so everything will be out there already.

What does this mean for players?

I'm really excited to see Firaxis include such a feature. They didn't have to give users the ability to import old maps and convert them to Civ 5 automatically -- units, cities, resources, and all. But doing so demonstrates dedication to the community of Civilization players and modders.

I wish more developers would support their fan base with ways that enable players to take ownership of the game in unique and interesting ways. Instead of charging us $15 for a measly five new maps (two of which are from a previous installment), why not give us the tools to import those older maps ourselves? Why not allow us to build our own maps and share them freely?

UPDATE: I reached out to 2K Games before going to print, and they've now clarified that "you can import Civ 4 maps into Civ 5 and units and cities within will carry over"; however, "you won’t magically be able to play an old mod" like Fall from Heaven or Planetfall, which the article previously suggested. I've edited the article to reflect this new information.

Pitboss, PBEM and hotseat have been confirmed, but will come later:
Dennis Shirk: We're going to have the basics out of the gate. About a month after release, we're going to add Pitboss. Pitboss will be accompanied by two extraneous modes that we weren't originally planning, but the fans keep asking for: play-by-mail and hot-seat.

I hate to double post... but the religion part needs to be kept if this version is to be as realistic as they want it to be... I heard rumors that it was scrapped.

They need to have all of the religions that are featured in C4.

That would add some realism.

I agree, but it looks like we're in the minority on this :(

Interesting about the meaning of the word "utopia."
It's a bit of a Renaissance pun using Ancient Greek, courtesy of Thomas More:

Eu-topia = Good place. And that's usually how it's read.

BUT

Ou - topia = NO place. And that's usually what you really get.

Do you think you can tell, heaven from hell?

Agreed.

I was curious, is a demo for civ 5 going to be released? Has anyone heard anything? It would be run by steam of course.

I agree, but it looks like we're in the minority on this :(

If they're to include religion then they need to represent religion accurately. Culture-specific religions (Greco-Roman polytheism and Zoroastrianism as well as Precolombian American religions) must be treated as real in order for religion to be portrayed accurately. If it's as generic and over-simplified as it was in Civ IV, then no, thanks. I want my Crusades!!!

I'll be updating this on Tuesday (Monday time for most of you)

OH BOY!!!!!!
HERE comes CIV 5!!!!!
LOL
MY VERY FIRST PUTER was a WIMPY 286!!!!
and that was the VERY FIRST game I got......
was SLIGHTLY USED but still FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!

This has a 32 INCH EMERSON MONITOR!!!!
LOL
and is running on a COMPAQ PRESARIO................

Just noticed about the domination victory, conquer enemy capitals, is this just whoever published the infos mistake and its actually a modified conquest or are they getting rid of the "true" domination victory; % pop/land?
I apologize if this question has been asked or answered.

If they're to include religion then they need to represent religion accurately. Culture-specific religions (Greco-Roman polytheism and Zoroastrianism as well as Precolombian American religions) must be treated as real in order for religion to be portrayed accurately. If it's as generic and over-simplified as it was in Civ IV, then no, thanks. I want my Crusades!!!

You have your crusades. Because religion's in the game you end up in wars you wouldn't have otherwise.

I have no problem with more religions being included, but you don't need more for it to be accurate, just like you don't need every building that's really in a modern city to be avalible in your civ cities for them to be accurate.

I do however remember in the cIV manual the devalopers referring to 7 being the number that just worked perfectly in terms of religions in the game.

Domination and conquest were useless to have in one game anyway. You couldn't win the conquest if you had domination victory turned on, right?

Hey guys, look what I stumbled across:

Civ4 Maps Compatible with Civ5
Written by Provost Martin
That’s right, you’ll be able to import Civ4 maps into Civ5. Just how that will work with squares contra hexes is unknown, but if this works right from the bat it will mean a huge immediate boost to custom content right at the release. This was confirmed by Jon Shafer in an interview with Bitmob:

Jon Shafer: You can import Civ 4 maps into the world builder and convert them into Civ 5 maps, including all the units and cities and stuff on it — the conversion process will just do that for you automatically. We’re hoping that the first week Civ 5 is out, people will use that function and port all of the Civ 4 stuff over to Civ 5, so everything will be out there already.

Furthermore the in-game browser will be able rate mods and sort them by ranking and by tags. You can also enable, disable and install them in the modifications manager. The game’s SDK (game code) will also be released, just as it was with Civ4. A world builder tool will be included, which features scenario-making capabilities such as controlling who’s at war with who, placing units and cities, and much more

http://civlegacy.com/

Seems like the Civ5 engine is going to share alot with CivIV and Firaxis is going all out to draw Civ4 players/modders to Civ5.

From the pictures I've seen, it looks like there are desert mountains as well as the familiar snow-capped ones. Hopefully there are grassy/treed Appalachian style mountains too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom