Civ 5 Design Challenge IV - History/Eras

It's not a bit off, it's "trying to hit the dartboard but accidentally hitting a whisky barrel behind the bartender" off. If anything, the US is the major diplomatic one while Russia's kind of isolated and incredibly powerful.
Haha, that's quite a good analogy. ;)
Yeah, I removed the Russia design and will improve upon it as it's way off according to you and others so I'll do some reading and researching and make the right adjustments to it.

Indonesia under Abdurrahman Wahid (1999-2001)

UA: Pluralisme
Cities with different religious followers than your own can build and buy the Religion founder's Unique Buildings, and receive all of their Pantheon bonus as well. Choosing Religious Tolerance Policy gives +2 Culture per each Religion present in the City instead.

UB: Pesantren
(new!)
Available in Education. 160 Production, but built 50% faster with Piety Opener. Yield +3 Faith, and gives 15% discount to purchasing with Faith. Cost 2 Gold as maintenance. Requires a Temple to be built first in the City, and will receive additional bonuses suited at Temple as well, which means doubling them.

UU: Kyai Moderat
Slightly weaker replacement for Missionary that grants the target City 50% Food and Production bonus when spreading Religion for a turn. Doing so in City States teritorry also grants you 5 Influence points per each Citizen converted.

:c5citystate: The European Union :c5citystate:

UA: The Schengen Area
Units treat :c5citystate: city state borders as your own, healing, moving through, and using promotions as though the territory belonged to you. For every ten points of :c5influence: over 120, a :c5citystate: city state has more and more of a chance to become puppeted imto your empire. These :c5citystate: city states count as allied for World Congress purposes.

UU: Battlegroup
Replaces Paratrooper. Has 3 :c5moves: movement and has a unique promotion allowing it to provide :c5influence: influence to any :c5citystate: city state whose borders it ends a turn in.

UB: Eurobank
Replaces bank. :trade: Trade routes established with :c5citystate:city states from a city with a Eurobank cause :c5influence: influence to decay 25% slower; this stacks with similar bonuses, but can not push the decay rate past 100%.

Not a lot of early game bonuses, but hopefully has potential to be competitive late game. Time constraint made early game balance difficult.

The Zapatista Army of National Liberation - Subcomandante Marcos
UA: Neozapatismo: Other civs cannot make trade routes through your territory without open borders. Gain Subcomandante points for every civ following your ideology or experiencing pressure towards it.
UU: Subcomandante (Replaces Great General): May create a political treatise, causing a random enemy civ to go into resistance if you are at war or have different ideologies.
UI: Ejido (No replacement, unlocks at civil service): +2 food, +1 culture for every adjacent farm , +1 Subcomandate point after adopting an ideology, may not be built adjacent to another Ejido

Getting revolutionary up in here (this is also a candidate for anyone who's planning a Mayan split)

This was originally going to be a joke civ, but I actually came up with some interesting ideas and ended up with this:

United States of America

Leader: George W. Bush

UA: Mission Accomplished: Upon ending a war, your enemy's remaining units have a chance of turning into barbarians depending on your success. Units gain +10% :c5strength: Combat Strength for each different type of unit adjacent to it.* Your spies may return false information.

UU: M1 Abrams: Replaces the Tank. The M1 Abrams starts with Blitz and ignores fortified enemy defense when attacking. Friendly units starting their turn next to an M1 Abrams receive +1 :c5moves: Movement.

UB: Security Agency: Replaces Constabulary. Automatically performs counter surveillance in your cities. Contributes points towards leveling up all spies whenever an enemy spy is caught in this city or during war.

Alright so for some clarification. The more successful you were in your war, the better chance of your enemy's units turning into barbs. That way you can't just declare war, not do anything, and benefit. The * means any unit combat type. So for example, a mounted unit next to a siege unit gains +10% combat strength. If it was also next to a melee unit, it would get an additional +10% combat strength. Also, about the spies proving false info, it's kind of there as a joke, but also consider that you'd still be able to use this false info in diplomacy to hurt relations between civs and improve your own relation with them. The UU is supposed to be very mobile for late game war and fit in with that combined arms, shock and awe warfare encouraged by the UA. Finally, the UB functions as a counterspy, freeing up your actual spies for foreign missions and assisting in leveling them up.

Umm... Uighur, the vanial helicopter gunship is already a hovering unit, so the movement thing isn't really a bonus...

Y'know I don't believe I've ever built a helicopter gunship

Y'know I don't believe I've ever built a helicopter gunship

I built one once after saying that exact same thing to myself. It was useless.

I'm kind of lost in this era (only paid attention to the last couple of years) so I'll not try and represent anything too seriously.

Spoiler :

Manchester United

Sir Alex Ferguson

The Class of '92

Whenever a :c5greatperson: Great Person is earned gain a 5-turn boost to all :c5greatperson: Great People.

Red Mancunian (replaces Worker)
Costs no maintenance. Adjacent allies receive a 5% :c5strength: strength bonus in combat and while in friendly territory, adjacent enemies lose 5hp to attrition each turn.

Old Trafford (replaces Palace)
Yields +2 :c5happy: happiness and +1 :tourism: after each :c5goldenage: golden age. Gains additional bonuses upon researching certain techs.
  • +1 :c5happy: happiness at Construction, Acoustics
  • +1 :c5culture: culture at Theology, Radio
  • +2 :c5gold: gold at Printing Press, Electricity
  • +2 :tourism: tourism at Architecture, Telecommunications

I can't make up my mind whether it's extremely over or under powered.

i dun even care

The Islamic State of Iraq and Syria
Leader: Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi

UA: The Butchers of God
When entering war against a major civilisation, all units and cities heal and receive a :c5strength: combat bonus based on the number of civilisations you are already at war with. Spies in enemy cities yield :c5faith: faith and grant :c5war: experience to newly trained units.

UU: Jihadi (Replaces Great War Infantry)
The Jihadi is significantly weaker than the Great War Infantry it replaces but receives a 50% :c5strength: bonus when war begins, dropping by 5% every turn. If disbanded, the Jihadi deals damage to all adjacent units and cities - the damage is increased for every :c5war: level accrued by the Jihadi. May be purchased with :c5faith: faith in cities following your religion.

UB: Media House (Replaces Broadcast Tower)
The Media House has no slot for Great Works of Music, and only increased :c5culture: culture output by 20%, unlike the Broadcast tower it replaces, but yields :c5tourism: tourism and :c5faith: faith whenever a unit is trained in this city, increased based on that units experience. yields +2 :c5faith: faith and a further +3 :c5faith: faith and +2 :c5happy: happiness while at war.

Holy crap, a suicide bomber UU.

You know, after seeing all these politically (in)correct designs and how tongue in cheek they are, I can only wonder what kind of imaginary civs they are cooking in the future instalment of Beyond Civilizations V: Stable Tides, that was based on the turn of 21st Century
But I guess lets just leave that to the future users such as Uighur_Emperor, Urdnott_Scottybeammeup, Natan35thcentury, inthefutureday, JanForuDa, K3n115u, GNoMorePuzzle, and kuller

But I guess lets just leave that to the future users such as Uighur_Emperor, Urdnott_Scottybeammeup, Natan35thcentury, inthefutureday, JanForuDa, K3n115u, GNoMorePuzzle, and kuller

Love this

Wait, are you suggesting that JFD and Jan are going to have a child

No! If anything, It was probably more like How their mods, like all of them that had been Conceived, or just fawned all over in the discussion thread had slowly develops conciousness lol
but that would be
im posible

Can I join? :D
Spain
Leader: Juan Carlos I
UA: Estatuto de Autonomia
Each city is given a “cultura”, which provides bonuses to a city's’ specific yields depending on the culture.** Starting at the Industrial Era, cities in a “cultura” can defect to another civ based on :c5angry: from :c5citizen:.*

UU: Legion Espanola (Replaces Infantry)
Replaces Infantry. Is slightly stronger and cheaper and can be stationed in city to reduce :c5citizen: :c5angry: by 15%.

UB: Studia Generali (Replaces University)
Replaces University, besides the usual benefits, it also strengthens your main religion’s pressure in your capital and lowers :c5angry: from :c5citizen: in the city it was built by 10%.

*Things that’ll lower Citizen Unhappiness:
Main Religion is in the city.
Certain Buildings.
At Peace.
Declaration of Friendships (At least 3).
Positive Gold Income.

*Things that’ll raise Citizen Unhappiness:
Ideology Pressure (Adds on to existing unhappiness).
Main Religion is not in the city.
Certain Buildings.
At War.
Negative Gold Income.
Denunciations (At least 2).

**Ex.:
Castillian:
+10% :c5gold: and +15% :c5faith: Production in the city.
Yes, Cultura is just the Spanish word for culture. You basically have unhappiness from citizens as a modifier and have to manage it.

America (Barack Obama)

UA: The Obama Doctrine -
For every city-state :c5citystate: ally you have, you will gain a boost in your cities depending on the city-state's type. (Details Below) Whenever another civilization has declared friendship with you gain +1 Delegate in the World Congress for however long they maintain the friendship.

UU: Infiltrator (Replaces Riflemen) -
Whenever a unit is killed :c5war: by the Infiltrator you are granted a boost to Science :c5science:.

UB: House of Congress (Replaces University) -
Influence :c5influence: with city-states :c5citystate: is earned 10% faster. Great Scientists :c5greatperson: are born 15% quicker.

Details for City-State Bonuses :c5citystate:.
Spoiler :
Maritime - +1 Food Boost :c5food:
Militaristic - +1 Production Boost :c5production:
Mercantile - +1 Gold Boost :c5gold:
Religious - +1 Faith Boost :c5faith:
Cultured - +1 Culture Boost :c5culture:

How exactly does the house of congress work in regards to influence? Also that is one OP UA.

How exactly does the house of congress work in regards to influence? Also that is one OP UA.

I would assume it would modify the Influence rate directly for your civilization and the UA has been de-buffed. I had to rush design on that part since I was in class during the time of writing :)

Top Bottom