Civ 5: Likelyhood of release, likely date of release

If you want to play the next generation of Civ games - you'll have to rely upon or buy a game console instead of your PC....

I doubt that very much. There's still a good market for PC games and Civ is one of the leaders in the format. They're not going to throw away their niche.

I doubt that very much. There's still a good market for PC games and Civ is one of the leaders in the format. They're not going to throw away their niche.

No, they are changing their "niche"

There have been some recent negotiations regarding the PC game side of the house but it seems there is an issue with the key "source code" of the game (NOT legal issues mind you, lol - more like "oh WHERE oh WHERE could it be" kind of thing)

Anyway, you'll find that Firaxis we all once knew will become MUCH MORE 2K driven and MUCH LESS "independant"

Anyway, you'll find that Firaxis we all once knew will become MUCH MORE 2K driven and MUCH LESS "independant"

Even 2K is more involved with PC games than many of the other companies. I really don't see them abandoning the platform anytime soon, especially with their financial problems. They're going to try to take advantage of any market they can. And with many of the other companies focusing more on consoles, that gives them a good opportunity to dominate the PC platform.

it's all speculation....

well, except for that part about the missing source codes, the negotiations for the Civ PC game by a third party, Firaxis having all but the current patch "assets" moved by EA and 2K to work on CivRev, and the fact that there's not even another expansion pack in the works............ much less a "Civ5"

Yup............ all we can do is speculate.

well, except for that part about the missing source codes, the negotiations for the Civ PC game by a third party, Firaxis having all but the current patch "assets" moved by EA and 2K to work on CivRev,.

Your sources are? And what does EA have to do with Civ:Rev, they've had no involvement in the game that I can see. It's been a strictly Firaxis/2K endeavour.

Civ 5, when bought, will completely outdate my computer. I might wait to update computer till i know what i need to get.

But The Civ 4 next expansion, I don't know what they haven't done yet for Civ...

Your sources are? And what does EA have to do with Civ:Rev, they've had no involvement in the game that I can see. It's been a strictly Firaxis/2K endeavour.

No hints, sorry - you're a smart guy with much more forum experience than me and a title bestowing you the ability to gain knowledge.

well........... ok, ONE little hint:

there are corporate forums across the net that shouldn't be as open as they are where details shouldn't be so flagrantly exposed.

Seek and yee shall find....

Years between releases doesn't really mean much, as it is becoming more and more common for companies to pump out sequels to successful franchises than paying (and taking the risk) to develop new ones. Expect to see more expansion packs for future games and shorter time between releases. I doubt it'll be 4-5 years between new games. Probably closer to 3-4.

So earliest would be this Christmas, which I doubt since we've got another expansion pack coming out. It's more likely we'll get it sometime around Q2 2009.

If you've read the Apolyton previews, and our own CivRev forum here, you know that DanQ and I were invited to Firaxis back in November for a special preview of CivRev. As an aside, one of the things we also learned was that Civ5 will be coming out for the PC, sometime in the future (no dates were openly mentioned). CivRev is not the new niche. It is an attempt to let more casual gamers experience a serious TBS game, and hopefully draw them to the PC versions.

If you've read the Apolyton previews, and our own CivRev forum here, you know that DanQ and I were invited to Firaxis back in November for a special preview of CivRev. As an aside, one of the things we also learned was that Civ5 will be coming out for the PC, sometime in the future (no dates were openly mentioned). CivRev is not the new niche. It is an attempt to let more casual gamers experience a serious TBS game, and hopefully draw them to the PC versions.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, thank you Firaxis... So this way they can kill Civ in CivRev and continue with the greatness which is the proper series. Christmas next year... if there are no new expansion packs.

:) :) :) :) :D Happy Days! Appreciate you telling us that very much man! Great news!

But then think of the expansion packs...
Civ I: 0
Civ II: 1
Civ III: 2
Civ IV: 2*

Conflicts in Civilization, Fantastic Worlds, Multiplayer Gold. One could arguably also count Test of Time as an expansion pack. That's 3 or 4 expansions for Civ II, not just one. :)

My most sincere appologies Padma if you misunderstood - no where did I say or even hint that console games were their new "niche"

I simply stated that Firaxis currently has ALL of it's personnel assets working on CivRev (as directed by EA/2K - the parent corporations) and that "there's not even another expansion pack in the works............ much less a "Civ5"

"in the works" meaning......... although there may be an idea or two being formulated - no one is working on them and there is yet to be anything "on the table"

There are other forums besides Apolyton about CivRev - including several 2K tester's forums......

2K representatives made their visit to Firaxis/Hunt Valley in December - after your visit perhaps?

No matter, the original question was "when" for Civ5 and the answer is "no one knows"
(nor is it currently being worked on)

No matter, the original question was "when" for Civ5 and the answer is "no one knows"
(nor is it currently being worked on)

But he didnt say he did know, he just said it is coming at some stage

No hints, sorry - you're a smart guy with much more forum experience than me and a title bestowing you the ability to gain knowledge.

well........... ok, ONE little hint:

there are corporate forums across the net that shouldn't be as open as they are where details shouldn't be so flagrantly exposed.

Seek and yee shall find....

Frankly, it sounds to me like you know squat and are just trying to sound important. If you can't provide a viable link to where you're getting your info, you get no credibility from me.

Fair enouhg. But you cant expect your claim to be taken seriously in that case my friend.

I still think a lot could be done with religions - inquisitions and such, plus they could always add more civs and leaders. I'd also like to see the new espionage system and corporations tightened up a little. This stuff could always be done with a new expansion, plus new scenarios and things.

Still, I doubt will see another expansion to Civ IV. It seems two expansions is about the norm.

If they are done with Civ IV, they've probably already started on Civ V. I think there will definately be a Civ V, and I'm sure they'll start doing the initial planning long before the announcement is ever made - that's probably happening now. Their crew is big enough that they can focus on multiple projects at one time, so I don't see a need for them to finish the console game first.

Top Bottom