[Civ 5] Rise of Mankind design discussion

I've thought also that we could use a new name for Civ 5 mod instead of using RoM again... though it's hard to think good alternative name :lol: Rule the World? Kings and Emperors? One More Turn? Fabulous Freetime Killer?

How about the opposite: Fall of Mankind (FoM)

Uploaded my first mod, Historical City States, to Firaxis servers. This was just a small test mod to see how the modbuddy works and how easy it was to make it... Those modding tools are actually quite cool for this kind of work! :)

So far I've played 4 games of vanilla ciV, 4 on epic, large/huge map, 1 on normal speed/standard map. All played at noble or prince. I've always played RoM/AND on epic with as large of maps as my computer could handle.

Buildings cost waaay to much. I think Firaxis' intent was to have this work in concert with the maintenance model to discourage the 'build everything everywhere' play. I would rather lower the building costs, and perhaps increase maintenance for them in some cases. I'm still unsure about the building bonuses overall. It's clear that Firaxis erred on the side of caution on many of the bonuses.

Wonders are really not very wondrous. They need more bonuses, I would prefer more of the 'provides x building type in all cities' bonuses.

Improvements likewise need boosts, and it'd be nice to see some more options that split bonuses. For example, mines might give 4 , and farms might give 4 . Maybe having something that gives a 1/3 distribution. Might be a bit confusing until more graphic packs are available.

I really, really like the 1upt combat system. It's much more interesting than SoD method. There are some problems currently though. First, archer ranged attacks are too powerful. The damage there needs to be reduced, and possibly moving the cover promotions lower in the chain. Gunpowder units should receive an inherent bonus against archery units. Not because of some real life comparison, but because I think making musket men/riflemen units both melee type and ranged type is a bit overpowered. Reintroducing grenadiers as the gunpowder equivalent to archers would probably work.

One big problem with 1upt is your military clogging up the map when you aren't at war. They get in the way and obscure your tiles. Maybe there would be a garrison improvement, that when a unit enters it (hacking the embarkation code) the unit turns into a 'garrisoned' unit (hacking the air unit code) which would let multiple units stack. Effectively storing some of your units. Leaving garrison would consume the units move, just like disembarking. Even if the garrison held a dozen units, you'd only be able to redeploy 6 at a time.

I originally thought that 1upt would be made less tedious with maintenance and the limited strategic resource model. As it turns out, you can still have tons of units, even early in the game. Unit maintenance should be increased significantly, especially non-strategic based units. Concurrently, the amount of resources gained from one strategic bonus tile should be reduced a bit. As it is now, even if you only land one iron tile, you typically have plenty of iron available for a number of iron based units. In the 3 games where I've made it into the industrial age, the oil supply is so high, it's hardly a limiting factor for units.

I'm assuming you guys are already planning on expanding the social policies considerably, and I look forward to it. Love that method over civics.

I've thought also that we could use a new name for Civ 5 mod instead of using RoM again... though it's hard to think good alternative name :lol: Rule the World? Kings and Emperors? One More Turn? Fabulous Freetime Killer? :lol:

I had a few in the other thread within the AND subforum.

If anyone has a really good name for the next iteration of RoM & AND, let me know. ;)

Mankind's Reign, Surge of Mankind, Dawn of Man(kind), Mankind's Dominion... Rise of Mankind 2...

Name Ideas
The Journey of Time
Mankind's Universe
The Journey of Mankind
Mankind's Struggle
Testament of Survival
Explorers through Time
Test of Time (already done in Civ II but I still love the name and it was 10+ years ago or so)

Name Ideas
Hello Kitty Island Adventure

Ohh, I like that one. But I think I can do one better:

Perhaps "Barbie Play with me too™ & Hello Kitty Adventures™ Wonder Island of Happy Funtime™®" would be best.

While I like "Wonder Island of Happy Funtime™®" and Fabulous Freetime Killer. Why not:-

Evolution of Computers - From Tools to Dominance

On second thoughts may be a bit misleading. Could go with the politically correct

Rise of Humankind :)

Or "Rise of Humanity" :)

Well, why not just: Civilization 5, cause that game has not come yet, there is a sort of civilization lookalike game on store now but I played it, it's not a civ game nono !

You all did an impressive job with ROM-AND and Co, and I can tell many are waiting in hopes for YOU guys to save civ.

Name idea

Civ Resurection . . .

I like Fabulous Freetime Killer.:)
On a more serious note, how about The Story of Mankind?

What does it do? I'm not at my home computer to check
It adds 9 new city states to the game and seems there's no limit how many city states you can have on a single map. With advanced game setup option I could put 37 city states on standard map when my mod was enabled :D This might mean also that there's no hardcoded limit for how many civilizations one game can have...

@everyone

I wasn't that serious about "Fabulous freetime killer" and few other names that I said... was just trying to wake up your imagination :lol: Anyway, if new name is chosen, it should be something that isn't trademarked already and isn't in use by some company/band/club etc. just to avoid possible issues with the name.

Top Bottom