[Civ 5] Rise of Mankind design discussion

:bump: So after a little over a month now, Civ V's true colors have been revealed and seems to lack quite a few modding abilities that Civ IV had even from the start. I for one have pretty much turned off my interests for Civ V and just do other things for now and when I do want to mod in the near future, I'll probably just mod for Civ IV.

So I still have not bought Civ5 yet. Do you think I should just save my money and go back to modding for Civ4 again?

yes, definitely.

Maybe If they really patch modbuddy to something usefully and give us full dll access, THEN maybe.... but this won't happen in any near time I fear....

and right now I'm playing Civ IV with AND 1.75 and I have to say: The only thing that Civ V has better is the graphics! Everything else is far more better and fun in Civ IV!

yes, definitely.

Maybe If they really patch modbuddy to something usefully and give us full dll access, THEN maybe.... but this won't happen in any near time I fear....

and right now I'm playing Civ IV with AND 1.75 and I have to say: The only thing that Civ V has better is the graphics! Everything else is far more better and fun in Civ IV!
I remember reading from somewhere that they'll release the SDK source later this year so I guess the real modding begins when the modding toolset is improved. I don't recall how it was with Civ 4, at what point did they release the SDK sources? I think they're making couple expansions anyway so we actually don't have any rush to get our "little" mod out any time soon...

I just bought game Cities XL 2011 (I have 2009 version too) and since this game models modern day cities, I'll probably find some cool stuff for building ideas... If you're fan of Simcity games, you should get Cities XL as it's much better ;)

Thanks for the recommendation, Zappara. I was considering whether or not to get Cities XL. :)

Zap, I beta tested Cities XL 2009, and never purchased it (Beta was terrible...). Would you say that Cities XL 2011 fixed 2009's flaws?

@StrategyOnly
Are you making some of those techs/policies or are you just copy/pasting from the other large mods in development?

@StrategyOnly
Are you making some of those techs/policies or are you just copy/pasting from the other large mods in development?

Whats the difference, this is a "design discussion" thread isn't it:eek: If people see whats there, there might be more ideas then. Besides some people don't even have Civ V yet. Wasn't RoM/AND based off of RevDCM/BUG/WoC, after a while?

Here's some more idea's: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=389368

I remember reading from somewhere that they'll release the SDK source later this year so I guess the real modding begins when the modding toolset is improved. I don't recall how it was with Civ 4, at what point did they release the SDK sources? I think they're making couple expansions anyway so we actually don't have any rush to get our "little" mod out any time soon...

Civ IV was released December 2005, the SDK wasn't released until April 2006 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civilization_IV. There was much rage at the time that it was taking so long. I'm not a programmer by any means, but I would guess that they want to get a few major patches and balances out before releasing the SDK.

Definitely, I recommend continuing with Civ4! I tried civ5 for a couple days, and that was it, not until they come out with an expansion will I consider trying the game again.

Well I am definitely going to work with strategyonly on the Prehistoric mod. and I still want to do stuff for the Galactic Era with Civ Fuehrer. So hopefully if all goes well the Prehistoric Mod + HAND (my mods) + AToM (Galactic Era stuff) will all be combined into a mega mod using some of the ideas I posted in in this thread. I hope to call it "Cavemen 2 Cosmos" since I think that's the most fitting title for such an expansive mod. In short I am very excited to get back to Civ4 modding again.

Since Strategyonly is busy with his prehistoric mod for Civ IV and no one has mentioned about starting the tech tree, I went ahead and took the liberty of starting it. I'm currently looking at this picture which is the last one to be edited and starting the tree off it. Next I'll be hooking the techs that have no plan with whatever prereqs I deem plausible through reason. I've finished the prehistoric era (as much as I disagree with it, but if we don't this'll prolly end up like the call to power mod which is a copycat of RoM v1... RoM must stay on top! :D) and am in the middle of the ancient era.

@ Hydromancerx
The Caveman 2 Cosmos project is a good idea, but Civ IV just can't handle the content. Its inability to multithread has my computer on its knees with the current ANDv1.75b at low settings when my comp was a high-end machine at the time of RoM 2.8. Truth is, Civ IV has had its run, we pushed it with RoM+AND and danced menacingly on the brink. I think it really is time to stop the large Civ IV projects since anymore added on will simply freeze just about any high-end computer. This doesn't mean you can't add units/buildings/etc, but any more will really just slow the game to a halt.

So is this pretty much on hold until they release better modding tools?

Pretty much but the Techs are working perfectly thanks to lemmy101 & captainBinky, someone should give them a medal.

@ Hydromancerx
The Caveman 2 Cosmos project is a good idea, but Civ IV just can't handle the content. Its inability to multithread has my computer on its knees with the current ANDv1.75b at low settings when my comp was a high-end machine at the time of RoM 2.8. Truth is, Civ IV has had its run, we pushed it with RoM+AND and danced menacingly on the brink. I think it really is time to stop the large Civ IV projects since anymore added on will simply freeze just about any high-end computer. This doesn't mean you can't add units/buildings/etc, but any more will really just slow the game to a halt.

:( Can I pick up where you left off? I know you had some stuff already made. I have been having no problems on my machine in testing with the Prehistoric + HAND. Note that the trade off is having to run on lower settings and smaller maps.

At the very least you should make it as an add-on for RAND and then I could convert it over to the Prehistoric mod if you computer cannot handle it. Its funny since if you told me a year ago which would be more done a prehistoric mod or a space mod I would have said the space mod.

In short please don't give up on Civ4 AToM just yet.

:( Can I pick up where you left off? I know you had some stuff already made. I have been having no problems on my machine in testing with the Prehistoric + HAND. Note that the trade off is having to run on lower settings and smaller maps.

At the very least you should make it as an add-on for RAND and then I could convert it over to the Prehistoric mod if you computer cannot handle it. Its funny since if you told me a year ago which would be more done a prehistoric mod or a space mod I would have said the space mod.

In short please don't give up on Civ4 AToM just yet.

In a prehistoric mod, you just have to add in new techs/units and disable some key buildings and poof you have your mod. Where as in a future mod there's a lot more to it than just techs... Not only do you have to take into account how balanced it is but game timing and even a reason for the player to continue on that far. In AToM the reason isn't content but concepts ie. discovering planets. I will be continuing AToM but not for Civ IV, I will PM you the files I have so far for the Civ IV version and wish you good luck.

As for the new RoM tech tree I've gotten into the early classical era already. There were a few techs/prereqs I had to delete from Hydromancerx's tech layout image since they just couldn't fit. Simply stretching the tech tree won't help because of the layout that the techs have and offset techs aren't an option like they were in Civ IV BTS. I've been successfully trying all I can to keep the tech pipes from going through other techs misleadingly to keep it nice and clean but the pure number of techs there are litter the screen with pipes.

Since Strategyonly is busy with his prehistoric mod for Civ IV and no one has mentioned about starting the tech tree, I went ahead and took the liberty of starting it. I'm currently looking at this picture which is the last one to be edited and starting the tree off it. Next I'll be hooking the techs that have no plan with whatever prereqs I deem plausible through reason. I've finished the prehistoric era (as much as I disagree with it, but if we don't this'll prolly end up like the call to power mod which is a copycat of RoM v1... RoM must stay on top! :D) and am in the middle of the ancient era.

@ Hydromancerx

Here Hydro made a better one here:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=9899490&postcount=145

Also check this one out, he has made the PreH era already, he only has like two or three techs there but at least its a start:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=391090

Also this is the best Tech tree available right now to Nano:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=393706

@Civ Fuehrer

Thanks. You are always welcome to help me if you change your mind. I am not sure how advanced I can make it but I know for sure I can at least do the tech tree and buildings. I am not nearly as talented as you when it comes to menus and more advanced modding, but I will try my best. I hope its ok if I ask you questions no and then if I get confused about AToM or advanced coding.

I agree, Civ V SDK is still quite limited P:
Continue with RoM and maybe Civ V a year later when they (hopefully) make the SDK better?

Top Bottom