1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ 6

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Pangaea, May 12, 2016.

1. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant Superconductor Moderator

Once more Firaxis has announced a new Civ game, six months before the fact...

Let the vitriol begin!

I've been following this thread:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=567279

I must say that in this thread if you don't tow the line on 1 UPT, you're either branded as a "hater" or a heretic. There's no middle ground. You're either pro or con, and Civ 4 is definitely at the losing end of the deal.

I find it amusing that these poor 13 year-olds (well, they act that way) can't accept a dissenting opinion. There are those who don't want to have 1 UPT in Civ 6 and those who do. Vocalizing this seems to get the dander up of everyone "Oh now we're just rehashing the Civ4 Civ5 argument again, blah blah blah."

It just makes me laugh that some people get that worked up over a video game. It's just pixels, and the newer games are just broken pixels at first. Everybody is telling me that BNW has fixed Civ 5 to the pinnacle of it's wonderfulness, yet why does playing it leave me cold? Oh, well, I'm not playing enough, you see. But why play a game that I find frustrating because of the 1UPT, and which bores me to death by the lack of needed strategic thinking? I don't get it, or the appeal. I guess because there isn't the steep learning curve as there is with Civ4, it's easier for newbies to get into it, and casual gamers too.

All in all, I invite some of you to visit the Civ 6 forum, if only for the comedy contained in it, but a bunch of people arguing about a game that won't be released for six months? Some of it is priceless.

[/rant]

2. Rusten

Rusten Deity

TMIT still engaging in quote wars in 2016. Where does he find the energy?
    I quickly gave up on following that entire forum section.

3. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Checked out that thread, saw it was 16 pages, and assumed it quickly descended into flame wars (post #2 was a good indicator), then read the rest of your post, Lemon Merchant, and assumed I was right in the assumption. Sad to see, but not surprising, I'm afraid. It's the path of gaming. Less complex, easier, forget about depth. Sales is all that matters, quality much less so. Also, release the game at least 6 months before it's an actual playable game, and let the idiots who pre-purchased it beta test it for you. If they're that stupid, they're likely to brag about it from the mountain tops too, so not only do you have beta testers for free, but marketing for free as well. For a polished turd.

Okay, we don't know if there is a turd to polish yet for Civ 6, though I'd say what little we have to go on so far, strongly indicates it will be a game with much more in common with Civ 5 than Civ 4, so hence a new turd polishing exercise.

I'll just have to stick with Civ 4 then.

4. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Of course, another anal-ogy is that the game is watered down, and well...

5. Fippy

Fippy Micro Junkie Queen

Sure looks like another fail coming, like Pangea & Lemon i am really bored by now with how things are going in the gaming industry..

not to mention communities acting like 13 years old indeed, feels like the net grew too big and is used as trash bin by way too many peoples. Quote wars /shiver..
    Oh well, i knew things will only get worse when "mobile" became the new trend.
    Oh, and devs probably are more concerned about their Twitter account than with their game's quality.

6. Pengu

Pengu Prince

Every indication I've seen makes me turn off from the game. They just dumped the concept that gave civ 3 and civ 4 and seems intent on going in the same direction of civ 5. So, civ 4 will probably be my last game from Firaxis. At least there is paradox....

Civ 5 is dumbed down slow garbage, and I expect civ 6 to be the same.
    There, I said it......

7. Drakarska

Drakarska Epic Dadness

Just for amusement value, I actually follow some of the Civ6 threads.... Let's just say I really don't have much in the way of hope.

8. Rodney Nelson

Rodney Nelson Chieftain

Oh well, I guess I'll be sticking with the game that I've enjoyed for years, Civ IV.

9. Lemon Merchant

Firaxis did the same thing with XCOM 2. It was released broken so the preorder suckers could beta test it.

I have zero faith in Firaxis ever producing a decent Civ game again. The new screenies look like Farmville, and I will guarantee that it will be broken on release. What kills me is all of the people who scream bloody murder if you even suggest this. Like they can't remember how screwed up CIv5 was on release. It took a major patch so you could actually finish the game.

I guess I'm a "hater" - (God I hate that word, it's so juvenile)

I expect Civ 6 to be optimized for tablets, making it even worse than Civ 5. If it's better than CIv 5, I'll eat my own panties.

10. Fippy

Fippy Micro Junkie Queen

Yep yep, such a hater.
    And stop QQ.

Me = Pro i have 10675893 steam hours in Civ5..!
    (and even more in WoW)

You = N00b with pink glasses from 1990, and hey do you even have a tablet??

Spoiler :
    :) :crazyeye:

11. Drakarska

Drakarska Epic Dadness

Nopr. But I actually still have my pink glasses and Zep T-shirt from a 1977 concert at the LA Forum, does that count? Oh, and a laptop.

12. lindsay40k

lindsay40k Emperor

And pay seventy (seventy!) quid for the privilege.

Seventy quid! …My BFF's already preordered -.-

Actually, tablet optimisation would be a step forwards from CiV's bloated engine that overloads hardware that's three years younger than the game. Said BFF can't screen share or cam whilst playing it, or her gaming laptop overheats.

She's on a laptop, because her £2K gaming rig… was baked to death after a thousand hours of CiV.

Hell, I daren't play it on my workstation unless it's a cold day and the window's open.

13. Fippy

Fippy Micro Junkie Queen

I had to limit FPS on my new compi, for reasons i don't fully understand they went up to 1000s in some games including Civ4.

That did heat up my graphics card very fast (and it's a good one, GTX 970 i think)..
    but after limiting that weirdness, Civ4 runs very silent with barely using the comps power.
    Very strange, maybe that's why her comp was baked? I was really worried before i found out what's happening.

14. Seraiel

Seraiel Deity

Overheating in Notebooks happens because the fans suck in dust which is basically everywhere one carries those things. If the Notebook didn't get cleaned for a year you can be sure that there's so many dust and particles in the cooling grids through which the hot air should out of the notebook that the notebook simply "throttles" , so it reduces the frequency of the processor or the graphics card in order to not overheat so basically only runs with 10-50% of its potential power. I smoked some years and when doing that in front of a notebook so much particles get drawn in, that cleaning every 2-3 months is necessary so either get a technician or watch a youtube video on how to disassemble the notebook (be careful, touch a heater or anything where you can get rid of the static so you don't fry your notebooks inner parts by touching it) , in good notebooks cleaning the fans is an easy job that maybe takes 10 minutes when being inexperienced and later it takes 2 minutes.

To test if the notebook throttles without disassembling it first simply download a benchmark like OCCT, 3DMark or PCMark, download the utilities GPU-Z and CPU-Z and watch the frequencies of the graphics card and the processor while the bench runs (let it run for at least 5 minutes) . If the frequencies don't stay at 99% of what's possible (i. e. 3.3 GHz) then it's overheating. The picture then normally is that the frequencies go to the top, the fans become louder and louder and then the FPS begin to drop while the fans stay loud, GPU-Z and CPU-Z would i. e. then show that the CPU is 80° hot but only runs with minimum frequency (i. e. 1.2 GHz) while they would normally be maybe 50-60° in an unmodified system which is well maintained.

15. HughFran

HughFran Prince

I'm sorry, but I could say the same thing about the Civ 4 forum and the venom shown towards anybody that likes the 1UPT. I am a fan of both games but I've seen myself and others get shot down for being critical of the stacks in Civ 4. It seems that when anybody does this they are outright accused of not knowing how to play the game properly. Anybody that praises 1UPT gets set upon by those who say it is combat for 'casual' gamers.

You may be correct about some of the ranting on the other thread but I just find it ironic that the same thing is done on this very thread yet you don't seem to acknowledge it or don't care because you agree with it. Yes, people have their opinions and should be allowed to be heard and I don't agree with being shouted down for having a different opinion but I take exception to the accusation that it is only 1UPT Civ 5 'lovers' that do it when you only have to read through this thread to see it happens on both 'sides'.

It always amazes me how people see what they want to see through Rose tinted glasses. It's called confirmation bias.

Both games have their good points and both have their flaws. There are plenty of naysayers on this thread who are all doom and gloom about Civ 6 and haven't even given it a chance yet....

16. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

The thing is, HughFran, that we have danced this dance before. Many, many times. I don't know your age, but the advantage to being a little older, is that it comes with wisdom, and the ability/knowledge to compare with what came before. That's why several of us say it's sad to see the trend in the gaming industry, where quality seems to be the least of anybody's concerns, and what matters is to make games much more shallow and easy, so it will sell more copies. That's all that matters. Sales. And sales for as much money as possible. It's quite frankly absurd in the extreme that in the age of digital gaming (hence MUCH lower distribution/logistics costs), games are at best as expensive as they were before, but more often more expensive.

But that was a little distraction. With these things in mind, and seeing what information and screenshots have been released so far, I'll be very surprised if the game offers depth, complexity and proper strategy. It can be fun with games where you can turn off your brain, I like Settlers 2 for instance, and you can almost literally play that game while reading a book, but that's not what I want from a Civilizations game. To see yet another gaming franchise go down the drain is sad.

17. HughFran

HughFran Prince

Hi Pangaea, I'm 35yrs young and played every incarnation since the very first Civ on the Amiga! Yes I agree with you that games have changed and focus has shifted to sales but I don't see Civ 5 as dumbing down the series - I think there is plenty to offer in that game that differs from other Civ games (all of which I love in their own unique ways).

Yes, we have danced this dance before but my point above is about the fact that I find it hypocritical to complain about a bunch of people in one thread when I see people doing the same thing on this thread for different reasons.

Lemon Merchant basically derided a load of people and dismissed them as 13yr olds because she felt as if she was being shot down for arguing the merits of a certain game mechanic over another. I feel that the same could be said on this thread to anybody that has a differing view from the 'popular' opinion.

I'm all for healthy debate on which is better but to dismiss a whole thread of people and then proceed to do the same thing yourself is a little bit hypocritical in my eyes. I'm not trying to start anything by saying this, it is just an observation from somebody who would be 'in the middle' so to speak. I like both games and see the merits of both and I have witnessed biased opinions for both games

18. Lemon Merchant

I think you'll find this forum a little more tolerant to players who enjoy 1 UPT. We may not enjoy or agree with the benefits to the game it apparently has, but we usually avoid the kind of rancor that has been shown in that thread I linked.

Thus my comment about 13 year-olds. Both sides are s bad as the other, though if you follow the thread, the Civ4 advancers are outnumbered and quickly shut down.

I didn't post in that thread as I didn't want to get into an argument and get carded. And yes I do feel that they are acting like children. The whole lot of them. Pro Civ4 and Pro Civ5. This happens at every release. It's six months to go and a bunch of people are arguing about a game that isn't even released yet, and some people take the extreme positions they do for some reason and choose to belittle others.

And yes, I'm belittling others, too, but only the ones who are carrying on like idiots. I have no problem if someone likes 1 UPT. I respect that. But I expect that my preference not to play with 1 UPT will be respected too. I don't need to be told that I'm wrong or an idiot for not playing with it. And neither are you because you don't like stacks of doom.

I don't care what they argue about. I only used the argument as an example. There are plenty more over there in the Civ 6 forums, about all kinds of topics.

Wouldn't our energy be better spent elsewhere?

19. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

Why yes, in OT arguing about politics :mischief:

20. Fippy

Fippy Micro Junkie Queen

Lemon's handy BAT hint:
    All arguments can be solved by good sex.
    (i forgot your real line :b)