1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ Design Challenge III - Alternate History

Discussion in 'Civilization Design Resources' started by NiaoMeow, Oct 13, 2015.

1. Tarmont

Tarmont Empress

But my idea is already as open as it can get D:

I've only changed one very broad thing to diverge history, and didn't even specify anything else that the designer is supposed to do with it.

2. SULOMON

SULOMON Mod Civs Best Civs.

The scenario was plenty open.... As was stated I think the problem was most people were busy.

3. Urdnot_Scott

Urdnot_Scott Sultan

I agree with SULOMON, I thought of something really different and interesting but the mid terms are this week so I just couldn't find the time. After Tuesday I'll probably be free again tho

4. GPuzzle

GPuzzle Available in wax cylinder!

After much, much, much time in terms of delay, here comes, The Russian Kingdom!

In this world, something happened before the shooting of the Romanov in Yekaterinburg. A misterious figure (who, according to witnesses, arrived in a British Police Box) warned them of what was to happen. They moved swiftly out from their imprisonment, and while Nicholas II and his wife were killed, his children managed to make it out into the arms of Czech safety. Lead out of the country in a campaign worthy of many action films, the eventually reached the colony of Russian Somaliland, which, despite not having prospered, had definitively survived long enough that it could house the royals.

One of the Duchesses, in particular - Tatiana - seemed to have a natural disposition for administration. Quickly reforming the slightly decadent colonial structure, she turned the small colony into a surprising powerhouse. Factories were built, railways were put in place and despite the small size it quickly turned into an important port in the Horn of Africa - it was cheaper to send raw materials for processing to that one small bit of Africa than it was to send them back to Europe, and the quickness of the exportation between it and the rest of the world - with the exception of the Americas - made it bloom.

The friendly relationship between neighboring orthodox churches led to a quick development in the Ethiopian-Russian relationship. Ethiopia flourished as it made associations with Russia for mutual development. A mix of Russian technology with Ehtiopian workforce lead to an even faster bloom, and Ethiopia quickly showed in the international radar much like Japan had done during the Meiji Era.

Eventually war would come. At 1939, Tatiana was faced with an European threaten on one of their most valued partners - Ethiopia. It took no less than two weeks for the Ethiopian forces not only to be armed with the best Russian technology, but also led by a council of the most cunning generals in Ethiopia and Russia.

It took no less than two weeks for the Italian invasion to be repelled and Italian Somalia to fall to the Russian Kingdom.

The offensive would carry on. Moving swiftly, the key points in Northern Africa that had been under Nazi and Fascist command were now taken by the Russians and Ethiopians. While the Ethiopians led a campaign of liberation and led to the celebration of the culture of each city, the Russians took the Suez Canal's control zone - becoming one of the most powerful trade nations in the world.

The reduced worry with Northern Africa from the United Kingdom and the United States led to Berlin being taken down sooner. In 1943, Berlin had fallen to American troops. Each country that Nazi Germany had occupied was free. American forces moved swiftly, and the Iron Curtain that Churchill had theorized did not fall.

The USSR would never get to the same status as it had in our world.

Under Tatiana, the Russian Kingdom flourished into a powerful trading nation, which had control of the Persian Gulf under her iron hand. The Russian-Ethiopian alliance flourished, and the two countries were amongst the most important in Africa in general. Upon her death, the Kingdom had changed the face of Africa forever - no longer was it thought of as a developing continent, but rather one that had all the reasons to celebrate their history, and all the reasons to develop themselves.

I wanted to do an Ethiopia, which had the UA as being "Cities celebrating WLKTD generate additional :c5culture: Culture in the :c5capital: Capital" as part of the UA, but I couldn't make it.

5. Natan35

Natan35 Mayor of St. Natansburg

Yeah, well the good news is that you have a good design. The bad news is I can't compete with it. :cry:

6. NiaoMeow

NiaoMeow Ximicacan? XIMICACAN?

Hint to the next competition (starting tomorrow): Battle of I____a

The scenario will actually have two opposite directions to take... so you can go crazy with backstories!

7. Natan35

Iwo Jima?
    Ooo Carthage is greit pleis for a chalenge I'm so exited wiiiiiiiiiii

8. Tarmont

Tarmont Empress

I take it has nothing to do with my prompt anymore then?

9. NiaoMeow

Your prompt is one of the two options!

10. Urdnot_Scott

Urdnot_Scott Sultan

Why 2 options? Seems unnecessary to me, I like seeing how different people can make things working from the same base

11. GPuzzle

GPuzzle Available in wax cylinder!

The main problem with this challenge was that it just had horrible timing for everyone. I'm fairly sure we could have gotten more in less time had a pile-up of stuff such as tests not showed up.

Please, keep it how it was.

Anyway, given I was one of two honorary winners of this challenge, should I submit the idea I have in my mind?

12. NiaoMeow

Sure! Natan can also submit a design (but I may not use them {but I probably will [but maybe not]})

13. NiaoMeow

The problem with the Tarcisio's scenario is that it happened later on in history, and it would probably only effected a small part of history. The opposite of his scenario is quite an interesting, and would have effected our world on a very large scale. At the same time, I would still like to keep his scenario because he has the winner's right to chose the next challenge.

14. Urdnot_Scott

Urdnot_Scott Sultan

I don't think you should be allowed to edit peoples scenarios if they aren't good enough for you :lol: if its really that specific then I'm sure someone will bring it up after the scenario is given and we can try and bend it a little bit, can't we at least know what it is before you change it?

15. Tarmont

Tarmont Empress

Uhm what? It happened pretty early (Earlier than all prompts til now) AND would have changed history a lot. Not sure how you got that wrong.

Also, the opposite of what happened in my prompt would lead to our world's normal history, so not sure what you mean by "opposite of his scenario".

16. Natan35

You're having a discussion in a bloody forum here its not the MOSSAD or FBI or whatever and this thread isntna black site to stop that secrecy kthxvermuch
    Also I had a cool idea for an Arabia based, ridiculous scenario involving Buddhism and Byzantine emperors, and some other theings that start with the letter B Beersheba

17. Tarmont

Tarmont Empress

Natan, the point of not spoiling the scenario is so that no one has a time advantage over the others.

18. SULOMON

SULOMON Mod Civs Best Civs.

^This^

19. NiaoMeow

Sorry for the misunderstanding. What I mean is that the [REDACTED] were defeated and expelled (to some extent) later on in history. Them not having ever invaded [REDACTED] would have (in my opinion) not have influenced the region's culture that much, and the [REDACTED] people were very defensive and warlike in nature so they would not have been further invaded by the [REDACTED] after their (in our timeline) failed invasion occurred.

When I am saying "the opposite of Tarcisio's scenario" I am talking about a time later in history where a deciding battle took place between [REDACTED] and the french. The French won, which stopped the [REDACTED] people's advance into Europe.

I will put forward your scenario, but I may use mine later on because it would have radically changed European history.

20. Natan35

Gosh just post it already the day already started.....