Civ Design Challenge III - Alternate History

Don't tease the poor dears, Niao, they're going to need all the help they can get with this one. =]

I vote for Tarcisio's Richu dynasty. Superb UA.

I too am voting for TarcisioCM's Richu Dynasty, entirely on the strength of the UA. It's absolutely fascinating, and probably also a nightmare to code, which is the best kind of Civ design. =]

I'm voting Urdnot_Scott too given the backstory, format and the civ design which is nice itself.

But then we might as well forget about most things; I did the cool formatting because I thought it added to the professionalism and quality of the post the same way maps, good spelling and an interesting idea do, it seems unfair to start ignoring certain things because it takes time - might as well ignore the post at all.

People always mix up my civ name with my leader name, even though I do it how Firaxis does it...

I vote for Urdnot_Scott.

Do it like we do rather than how Firaxis does. Give the name of the Civ, then the name of the Leader indicated in something else.

Good job Tarcisiocm! The Richu dynsaty won with 4 votes, meaning you can chose the next challenge! Please P.M. me within a week with your idea. Alright, time for the challenge:

What if the Russian colony in Djibouti had not only survived, but prospered?

Some things to consider:

How will nearby Ethiopia and the Khedivate of Egypt deal with the Russian incursion?
How will the French react to the Russians settling "their" part of Africa?
What are relations going to be like between Russian Orthodox Cossacks and Coptic Christians?
What kind of impact will this have on Western Europe's domination of trade in the Red Sea and the Suez Canal?
What happens to Russia's colonies after the Russian Revolution? Does the Communist Revolution happen at all?
How does Russia decolonize?

Have fun!
By: Scapegrace

I knew ittttt scapegrace

=]

/5char

20 December, 1888. After traveling a long way, Nikolay Ivanovitch Achinov(1st Lord of Sagallo) received a letter signed by the Queen herself, with an intriguing offer: in return for fighting the French in the area, he will receive her majesty's full support, including ships and building materials. Obviously Achinov agreed, and the Queen's help wasn't late to come: 3 ships of the line docked at the fort of New London the day after, full of sailors and building materials for the colonists.

Meanwhile the Cossack bands spread like fire in the hot desert, claiming any yellow piece of land for themselves and burning anyone who dared to get near them, and soon there was not a single person who haven't heard of the people with the red coats, who rode through the desert. Some managed to follow their tracks however, and finally the French governor decided to take care of those barbarians.

12 February, 1890. The little colony became a small city by the time the French found it. Infact, it wasn't for the colonists who lived there but for the sailors: trained soldiers, they set up additional defences and guarded them along with the Cossacks who arrived from time to time at the colony, making Achinov's idea of using priests as propaganda a success.

The French governor, however, wasn't thrilled. At the 29th of November, a force tasked with occupying the fort and expelling its residents stormed the outer walls, as Canon balls started to fly. The French soliders death marked the beginning of the Sagallian war, during which the small city became a huge military based, hosting whoever agreed to protect it: Europeans, locals, Russians, even some Indians migrated there, making it a true melting pot. The city also attracted many missionaries, looking to convert the locals to Christianity.

Many Years have passed. New London was now the center of British Africa, justifying its name. But it was still ruled by the Achinov family. Nikolay's grandson, Vasily was much different from his father: spending the better part of his life in the royal palace, he had no idea about the existence of the Sagallian People's front(SPF) or about their French equipment, or about the background of the 10,549 Russian citizens who arrived at the city in the past 3 months.

17 October, 1913. A huge crowd marches on the royal palace, almost instantly killing the guards and storming into the throne room, where Vasily was executed along with British officers present in the city. The SPF's leader Vladimir Lenin arrived in the city shortly after with a group of Ethiopian Revolutionaries.

11 April, 1919. After defeating the Abyssinian forces in the battle of the White Nile, the SPF forces joined by their french allies marched on Addis Ababa. Despite the royalist ambushes in their way, the Revolutionaries were able to take control of the city, crushing the British hopes of restoring their empire to its former power...

Sagallo(Nikolay Ivanovitch Achinov)
UA: Nation of Glory
Gain :c5food: food from killing units and plundering encampments within caravan ranged of cities per each tile in their territory. :trade: Trade routes grant :c5production: towards military units and buildings, which grant :c5culture: culture upon completion per each citizen in the city.

UU: Red Cossack
Replaces lancer. Unlike it, doesn't require horses and moves at half of the Lancer's speed(2 :c5moves:). It has the "Achinov's dream" promotion, allowing it to claim neutral tiles and granting it +1 :c5moves: movement when doing so. Also gets the "Redcoat" promotion, allowing it to heal 5 HP each turn even if it moves and granting it double XP if it attacks a fortified unit.

UB: Angliskaya Stina
Replaces arsenal. Grants all units the "redcoat" promotion, and doubles the :c5culture: culture boost received from completing units, in addition to increasing their starting XP by 15.

Must say that a third colonisation scenario in a row is not quite to my liking but I'll see what I can do anyway! Now, how can I twist this scenario into something totally silly and not at all what its asking me to do...

Top Bottom