CiV first extension or why Jon Shafer left firaxis...(a joke)

People will jump at any explanation right now it seems. Does ANYONE know, other than Shafer himself? There are lots of reasons someone might leave a job.

I realised it was a joke as soon as it mentioned poland. That and the UW.

I hope this thread inspires some modder to introduce the aforementioned units. Example:

Big Giant Poo Flinger. Totally in tune with Civ V's Culture Bomb and Fountain of Youth, don't you think? It should be part of an official Civ V extension pack, or even a patch.

couldn't you culture bomb in civ4 as well? do you think this one is too powerful or not powerful enough?:confused:

couldn't you culture bomb in civ4 as well? do you think this one is too powerful or not powerful enough?:confused:

I think he means the jokey name "culture bomb" rather than balance.
We always called it a culture bomb, but in Civ 4 in-game it was called a Great Work.

That was funny. I knew it was a joke because he changed the thread title :) but it was confirmed by mentioning Poland.

I like the idea of a Unique Weakness, to help counterbalance Unique bonuses. I am totally against the thought that only positive things should happen in a game. The challenge and fun come from digging oneself out of a bad situation, or a bad start or from making bad decisions. But mostly it comes from trying to catch up or keep up with AIs that are racing out in front of you.

I think he means the jokey name "culture bomb" rather than balance.
We always called it a culture bomb, but in Civ 4 in-game it was called a Great Work.
Which you started in a city - you didn't drop the guy like a suicide bomber to get tiles around him. "Culture bomb".... what a joke.

I love the Unique Weakness idea. To avoid big trouble however, UWs should only be nominated by members of the nationalties involved. Being British, I'd have to go with -10% food for England on the basis of disgustingly unpalatable cuisine (this changes in the modern era, but maybe not even historically, well at least from the Industrial Revolution to the 1960s, ah heck I'm thinking real history, must stop, stop, stop...)

Seriously, could be fun...

There are umpteen versions of this, with different nationsets...

Heaven:

* The police are British
* The cooks are French
* The engineers are German
* The administrators are Swiss
* The lovers are Italian

Hell:

* The police are German
* The cooks are British
* The engineers are Italian
* The administrators are French
* The lovers are Swiss

Aussie here - I'm so annoyed with the way Americans view France (crossiants and giving up). I swear, France capitulated in like ONE WAR. (unless you count the indochina wars etc but then America raised the white flag in Vietnam and basically gave up and went home). Not to mention about a bajillion other European countries capitulated to Nazi Germany in WW2 but Americans never seem to remember that - only France. I just don't get it. Anyway giving up in one World War is certainly better than almost being too afraid to enter into two World Wars and then rushing into 3 more wars in the next 60 years or so.

/rant

Anyway, nice joke :p

Aussie here - I'm so annoyed with the way Americans view France (crossiants and giving up). I swear, France capitulated in like ONE WAR. (unless you count the indochina wars etc but then America raised the white flag in Vietnam and basically gave up and went home). Not to mention about a bajillion other European countries capitulated to Nazi Germany in WW2 but Americans never seem to remember that - only France. I just don't get it. Anyway giving up in one World War is certainly better than almost being too afraid to enter into two World Wars and then rushing into 3 more wars in the next 60 years or so.

/rant
I've read a thread about best main battle tanks. The usual suspects were on the mat, and then this French guy started spamming the thread saying the Leclerc was "much better" than any of those (Leopard 2, Challenger 2, Abrams M1A2 etc.). When asked why, he said it was the faster than the lot. You may guess the jokes that followed: "oh well, if you want to avoid battle, speed is of the essence. Does it even have armor on the front, or only on the back? Can it even fire forward?". I thought they were funny.

Well, in WWII those other countries have very, very small armies. France? Her army at the time was BIGGER than Germany, MUCH bigger. Her Tanks are STRONGER, HEAVIER, and better ARMOURED. She had a good defensive position to outflank the germains. What did she do with it?

Ignore the main invasion route between france and germany, calling it too hilly for tanks, and make a tempting target by building up everywhere BUT there. Then splitting up tanks only only one goes to fight at a time stuck with 20 or so french infantry.

I apologize. Just in hind sight, that was a perfect time to beat it on Hitler early: if france had Armoured tactics, it would have won. But it didn't, history is in the past, and I digress.

Unique Weakneses should not cancel the game or certain aspects of it, but should offer more dept to it. France's weakneses mgiht have led it to try to NOT lose. Look at all the wars they won to AVOID their weakness! that is why it can be considered a nice one, because in our history, it only happened a few times.

Well, in WWII those other countries have very, very small armies. France? Her army at the time was BIGGER than Germany, MUCH bigger. Her Tanks are STRONGER, HEAVIER, and better ARMOURED. She had a good defensive position to outflank the germains. What did she do with it?

Ignore the main invasion route between france and germany, calling it too hilly for tanks, and make a tempting target by building up everywhere BUT there. Then splitting up tanks only only one goes to fight at a time stuck with 20 or so french infantry.

I apologize. Just in hind sight, that was a perfect time to beat it on Hitler early: if france had Armoured tactics, it would have won. But it didn't, history is in the past, and I digress.
It's true that the Germans had mostly light tanks when they invaded France. Only some 600 of the 2600 tanks that participated in the campaign, were the heavier Panzer III and IV. The French had 4000 tanks, but only about 550 were heavy tanks that could match the Panzer III and IV. All in all, the French should have had an advantage, as they outnumbered the Germans in light tanks, and also because their SOMUA S35 (250 in total) was the best tank in its day. The reason the Germans mopped them up relatively easily is:

1 Germans had excellent commanders and had developed excellent blitzkrieg and tank tactics.
2 German tanks were provided with radio communication, while the French didn't.
3 The Germans used their heavier tanks in concentrated ways (a consequence of 1), while the French dispersed them, vastly reducing their usefulness.
4 The Germans have developed effective tactics to avoid trench warfare. The French commanders had no clue what hit them, with their classic trench-warfare training that was thoroughly humbled by the German special troops outmaneuvering them.
Many other reasons, like denying air superiority to the allies, the invasion plan that included outflanking the Maginot line (given certain prerequisites, which in the end were fulfilled) etc etc etc etc

The French fought valiantly, but given the circumstances, their resistance was doomed. It may be that it left the impression of cowardice and/or incompetence. I have no idea how the events were reported in the (allied or otherwise) media of the time.

Just came with others UW ideas (sorry, but i couldn't wait for people from these nations...):

Mongols: "only Yogourt in the yourt" Farm gives 1 less food than usual
Persia: "Madness? This is Sparta" Persia can't eliminate greek units and/or spearmen without a ratio of 1 million to 300
Rome: "The fall of Rome" Barbarian gets +100% combat bonus against rome after year 476

I can't decide of the UW effect for the following names:
Egypt: "The Ten Plagues"
Iroquois: "Mohawk haircut"

And thanks to Doctor phibes
England: "Worst food in the whole world" the more food surpulus is in a city, the more unhappiness there is

Just came with others UW ideas (sorry, but i couldn't wait for people from these nations...):

Mongols: "only Yogourt in the yourt" Farm gives 1 less food than usual
Persia: "Madness? This is Sparta" Persia can't eliminate greek units and/or spearmen without a ratio of 1 million to 300
Rome: "The fall of Rome" Barbarian gets +100% combat bonus against rome after year 476

I can't decide of the UW effect for the following names:
Egypt: "The Seven Pleas"
Iroquois: "Mohawk haircut"

And thanks to Doctor phibes
England: "Worst food in the whole world" the more food surpulus is in a city, the more unhappiness there is

For England, I'd also add their very unique future tech: double pane windows. All other civs have that tech by default with construction.

The Iroquois UW "Mohawk haircut" - -25% infantry strength (can't/won't wear helmet)

The "Seven Pleas"? Did you mean the plagues? If that's what you meant, they are 10. It could work this way: randomly, but only once in a game, after they win a war they are hit by massive loss of :health:, :food:, and :gold: and accompanied by high :c5unhappy:. It will last exactly 10 turns, at the end of which they will lose 1 of the conquered cities, and cannot reconquer it ever again.

oops...
Yeah, the ten plagues of Egypt!

And by the way, for those who found it offenseive to french...well, i'm french and as most of french are awesome people, we let american make a joke of us with all this "white flag" thing...

Top Bottom