Civ V Screenshot Analysis

One thing I noticed. No units in cities. Does this mean we can't put a unit in cities to defend? Or maybe city defense is limited to special units? Either way, it will make city defense much more interesting.

Civ5 is starting to sound like it is taking more from Civ3 than Civ4, which if it is the case I will enjoy it much more than I did Civ4.

Resources not being infinite sounds intriguing, but it doesn't entirely make sense if you follow through to the later years. For instance, when your Tank dies, do you get your Oil back? :confused:

If you think of one oil resource as the capability to produce exactly enough oil to supply one unit of tanks one round, it makes sense. Once that unit of tanks dies it doesn't consume the oil anymore, so it's available again for the next unit of tanks.

But unless the map is littered with resources or one tile is capable of producing more than one unit of the resource, the army sizes will be quite smaller.

They stole all these ideas from Fantasy Wars.
The hexes.
The archers shooting over spaces
This isn't a fantasy TBS game. The archers can't shoot over a tile. It is stupid and unrealistic... tiles represent a huge area, not a little field

Looks like my stab in the dark might have been right about limits for units on the same tile. I just hope the limit won't be ONE unit per tile, that'd be silly. But 10 or 20 I'm fine with.

I feel like my effort over the last year to vigourously post about how arbitrary penalties or limits are bad and exponential penalties are good is in vain. It better at least be a reasonable limit.

No religion? Aw, that's a shame. I thought that was a pretty cool feature of Civ4. Guess they got too PC or something... :(

Yeah. That sucks.

Resources not infinite

Fantastic improvement. This was one of the things that I would want from any new Civ game, so I'm very pleased if they have it. Hopefully it will be in the mould of this, where resources actually have a set quantity, and different things use a different amount of that resource. I don't really want fantasy-like 'your horses have magically reappeared' stuff, though.

Social Policies... sounds no different to Civics, I guess we'll have to see though.

Well hopefully it will allow for more variety in what you can do, rather than having Civics as in Civ 4, where you merely click some options and get arbitrarily defined bonuses.

Conquest victory requiring only capital captures... hmm, interesting, but could make it a bit too easy to win on a naval-based map with a sudden stab attack strategy. At least thinking from Civ4 combat mechanics. Maybe the limit of units per tile will make such a strategy near-impossible in Civ5. We'll have to see.

Yeah, this could be a problem, I would've thought. And then if you have a lot of paratroopers...you can win conquest by only taking a few select cities? Also, how would this be affected by people moving their capital?

Unique leader bonuses

Sounds interesting. Should be roughly similar to what is currently in the game, just without standard labels, I would imagine.

One thing I noticed. No units in cities. Does this mean we can't put a unit in cities to defend? Or maybe city defense is limited to special units? Either way, it will make city defense much more interesting.

Is that from the screenshots? If so, it's possible that that's just how it is in the screenshots; I would think it odd to completely get rid of defenders in cities, although this would do wonders for moving battles out of them. :lol:

No religion...? Aw... That took some of my excitement away, quite frankly :(

I
Is that from the screenshots? If so, it's possible that that's just how it is in the screenshots; I would think it odd to completely get rid of defenders in cities, although this would do wonders for moving battles out of them. :lol:

Yeah, but I never remember it being sound strategy to leave cities undefended before...

No religion...? Aw... That took some of my excitement away, quite frankly :(

Well, guess what one of the first mods is going to add back in then, eh? ;)

I'll be right there with you! We could always do a Civ5 to Civ4 total conversion! :D
Heh, I believe there will be awesome stuff in Civ5. But yeah, some things will be missing, like the religions or, perhaps, the traits, or something else entirely. But hopefully it will be easily moddable and not too much different from current Civ4. That way, with the experience we acquired, it could be easy to do what we want :)

But that's wishful thinking, I admit it.

Even more wishful would be thinking about porting all the great mods over to Civ5, like RevDCM, FFH, RoM, Planetfall, Dune Wars, etc.

Actually I felt the modding was shaken when 3.19 was released but, really, I'm sure it was nothing compared to Civ5. I mean, it's like everything we've done will eventually be gone. Of course, that is if Civ5 is a success; if it not, we will still have our babies on Civ4 ;)

Well, maybe I should stop talking now :p

Lets keep this thread about screenshot analysis, not about the rumored changes to the game mechanics. ;)

Heh, I believe there will be awesome stuff in Civ5. But yeah, some things will be missing, like the religions or, perhaps, the traits, or something else entirely. But hopefully it will be easily moddable and not too much different from current Civ4. That way, with the experience we acquired, it could be easy to do what we want :)

The fundamental way games are programmed haven't changed a ton, and neither has civilization. I wouldn't be surprised to see files named CvCity, CvUnit, etc in the SDK again.

Even more wishful would be thinking about porting all the great mods over to Civ5, like RevDCM, FFH, RoM, Planetfall, Dune Wars, etc.

I expect most of those authors, if they are active will. Just look at Ryhe. ;)

I know if Zap doesn't pick up RoM, I will.

Actually I felt the modding was shaken when 3.19 was released but, really, I'm sure it was nothing compared to Civ5. I mean, it's like everything we've done will eventually be gone. Of course, that is if Civ5 is a success; if it not, we will still have our babies on Civ4 ;)

I was lucky to jump on board right after that happened, so I missed that tidal wave. I can't imagine what it was like, but I expect to completely start from scratch with Civ5. I just hope they give us the SDK right away and not with a patch like with Civ4 1.64.

Looks to me from that dull yellow on one of the IGN screenies that Mongolia's in.

In nearly every iteration of Civilization, they have completely changed the colors of many of the civs.

On top of that, in Civ 2 your civ color would change based on who else was in the game. This is kind of a big deal, because in Civ 4 it's possible to have 2-3 civs that are very close to the same color right next to eachother (America, Khmer, France).

I really wouldn't bet on anything being set in stone in terms of which civ is which color.

Might be something more like the social engineering from SMAC, so this might turn out great.
Haven't played Alpha Centauri myself, so I'm not sure how social engineering works. Either way, at least it doesn't sound like they've gone back to the old Civ3 style of having a few block government types. The ability for government customization - like with civics in Civ4 - increases the fun so much. :)

Probably just that they didn't put any in cities in these particular screenshots so they wouldn't obscure the view of the buildings. I wouldn't take anything more from it than that. ;)

Civ5 is starting to sound like it is taking more from Civ3 than Civ4, which if it is the case I will enjoy it much more than I did Civ4.
I hope they will take the good elements from both games, but I hope they'll move forward at the same time. Civ4 was a big improvement on Civ3 IMHO, and I expect no less of Civ5. :)

If you think of one oil resource as the capability to produce exactly enough oil to supply one unit of tanks one round, it makes sense. Once that unit of tanks dies it doesn't consume the oil anymore, so it's available again for the next unit of tanks.

But unless the map is littered with resources or one tile is capable of producing more than one unit of the resource, the army sizes will be quite smaller.
I guess that makes sense.

One problem I can forsee is that this makes land-grabbing and warmongering an even more powerful strategy. Empires that span more land get more resources, and consequently can build more units. There's no longer anything small empires can try to do to compensate (get a super-productive city, etc) because they're no longer able to produce more than a limited number of units while their opponent with 2-3 times the resources can produce 2-3 times the units.

Obviously warmongering is going to be an effective strategy in every Civ game, but I'm worried about whether this new resource limitation might make it so necessary to war for land that peace isn't an option if you want to survive. I hope they'll be taking this into account when creating the resource system.

So, these Hexagonal tiles ruin Nation's borders.
I thought they look quite neat, actually. And besides, this might not be the final form of the artwork. There's still a lot of months to go to completion.

They stole all these ideas from Fantasy Wars.
The hexes.
The archers shooting over spaces
This isn't a fantasy TBS game. The archers can't shoot over a tile. It is stupid and unrealistic... tiles represent a huge area, not a little field
There are lots of things in Civ that are unrealistic. It's not meant to be a history simulator though, it's meant to be a fun game. Personally, I like the idea of having ranged units, and think it could add a very fun and interesting twist to combat mechanics.

Yeah, this could be a problem, I would've thought. And then if you have a lot of paratroopers...you can win conquest by only taking a few select cities? Also, how would this be affected by people moving their capital?
Yeah, I'm confused about that too. Maybe you can't move your capital any more. Or maybe it's more expensive to do. Because otherwise, yeah, you could play a game of "hide and go seek" to delay a rival from capturing your capital.

Either way though, I'm fairly sure that this "capital capture conquest" (dare I introduce the acronym of CCC?) will probably be a selectable option. In other words, if you want to play the "traditional" style of conquest by complete and utter demolition, you can tick or untick a box to do so.

Top Bottom