Civ V Steam Workshop and beta patch: how to get access

Don't know why its going slower for some of you. I have played it a couple hours now on a huge map 22civs/24 states and turn times are noticeably faster for me. I also had a fight with a civ and it did seem do better moves than before, but can't really do that conclusion yet as i have only had one war as of yet.

On the flip side, it seems that they have done something on the graphic side that's under the surface as there's a lot of small weird glitches that wasn't there before. Shores and rivers have strange looks and shows sort of through the FOW when its just on the border of where you can see for example..

But all in all, the game moved up a notch on my enjoyment level. Even noticed there's 2 graphics sets on the trading posts. So if you spam they wont all look the same, some are turned differently.

A lot of the sound seem to have been pitch-shifted down. The animations for city bombardment are glitchy.

I just loaded my current game (as China, Large map, Epic speed, Prince difficulty, on turn 980-something) and noticed that it flipped a lot of the civilizations. Babylon became Denmark, Denmark became Spain, the Inca became Mongolia (only noticed this on the playback after retiring; I'd long since conquered them since they were my former next-door neighbors.) The only DLC civ that didn't get swapped was Korea.
Sorry if it's just me being stupid, but what do you mean by the civs being "flipped?"

There goes some critical edits to Z-Advisors lua files... i'm busy! ;)

(PS; The Steam Overlay won't open - has it been linked to our local browsing defaults or simply not activated yet?)

Normally if the overlay doesn't open I restart Civ and it works.

But the mods don't download - those of you who have used Steam Workshop, how do I get mods to download?

Sorry if it's just me being stupid, but what do you mean by the civs being "flipped?"
If you load a pre-patch saved game, some of the civilizations get switched around. In the game I loaded, a pair of Korean Turtle Ships were transformed into Korean Norwegian Ski Troops, the Incas transformed into Mongolia (but led by Isabella), the Mongolians transformed into Babylon, and Denmark transformed into Spain (but led by Pachacuti).

It would seem they have changed the meaning of certain numeric identifiers relating to civilization/leader/unit type in the save files.

But the mods don't download - those of you who have used Steam Workshop, how do I get mods to download?

It's been fixed with a quick_patch_new "InstalledPanel.xml" file in another thread. Still some verifications to do with resilient D/L call(s) via Overlay access though.

EDIT; Possibly the "Subscribe" button? But you're right... it isn't currently obvious that a download is being allocated to the Mods folder. Beta steps, AFAIC.

It's been fixed with a quick_patch_new "InstalledPanel.xml" file in another thread. Still some verifications to do with resilient D/L call(s) via Overlay access though.

EDIT; Possibly the "Subscribe" button? But you're right... it isn't currently obvious that a download is being allocated to the Mods folder. Beta steps, AFAIC.

Would you happen to have a link?

Someone wrote that units still have 10hp. But why would that be changed?
I think the new 100hp system is for GaK only?

where are the patch notes ffs? has anything gameplay-wise been changed/fixed?

There are no patch notes, as this isn't the patch. It's a beta of the patch. It doesn't sound like any gameplay has been changed, though I haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

Cool, the loading screen when you skip/disable the introvideo isn't just an empty black screen anymore. A minor change, but nice nonetheless.

I didn't try, as I couldn't get mods working for some reason - it certainly wasn't reading anything from the usual /MODS folder. I'm not sure what was going on.

I can't imagine there'd be any problems though if you could get the game to recognise it, with perhaps the exception of something to do with unit animations (I'm sure there's some behind-the-scene changes now that Multiplayer has quick combat).

I've loaded a few saves with the patch, and can also confirm the civ flips, but the turns don't seem slower to me. In fact it feels more optimised.

The unit queues are great, and flight unit are much quicker, although they do sometimes get into a loop and keep attacking a unit for a few more seconds an they should.

Trading posts are much better, but not where I'd like them to be personally. Better than nothing though.

Intro graphic is another bonus.

Top Bottom