Civ4 BTS v3.19 Patch

If the above doesn't work, just right click the Civ IV icon and select run as administrator and all should be fine.

-=Mark=-

Sometimes it is a computability issue though, I have windows 7 and have no compatibility issues. But you can just right click on the CivIV icon and go to compatibility and then click Windows Vista Service Pack 2.

You can also try other compatibility modes.

Since I have Windows 7 and not Vista, I can't click on Vista Service Pack 2.

I am no expert and I am not sure if this will work. Maybe you can try to do an auto update online. Just go to options and let it auto update or you can manually find a 3.19 online.

I did the auto update. That's how I got the download. And installation starts okay, it just doesn't doesn't get past the start window.

Since I have Windows 7 and not Vista, I can't click on Vista Service Pack 2.

I did the auto update. That's how I got the download. And installation starts okay, it just doesn't doesn't get past the start window.

I have windows 7 also but you can still right click on the icon, go to properties, click on compatibility, then go to "Run this Program in Compatibility Mode" and change it to Windows Vista Service pack 2. Windows 7 has this.

But I suggest. you just uninstall Civ4 and then reinstall the entire thing.

I've just got a new computer, a Gateway SX2841 64-bit running Windows-7 Home Premium (SP 1). I loaded CivIV Complete and downloaded Patch 3.19. I can't get the patch to install. I get the installation window and then the installation stalls (no pun intended). I've done "Run as Administrator" and the same thing happens. There's no error messages even after several minutes. Any suggestions on how I can get the patch installed?

Try installing from within the game itself. You have the "Complete" version and it may have issues finding the wierd path that it uses.

Go to your games panel and right click the Sid Meier's Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword icon and select "Run as Administrator."

you may get a, "the color scheme has been changed to windows 7 basic." just ignore it as it will fix itself when the game exits. It basically just turns off the Aero interface.

The game should start up and then you should navigate to "Advanced" and select check for updates. it should say a new patch is available(Patch 319). Select "Install" and it should start downloading right away.

When download finishes click the "OK" button, then the game should close and start the patch installation. of not, then you may have to try another method, such as, booting into safe mode or try reinstalling as already suggested. but this method should work fine.

Good luck
-=Mark=-

I did the auto update. That's how I got the download.

That might be the problem. Many people posted to this thread saying they had to download the patch manually from this site. Check the first post in the thread for URLs.

I've discovered the problem and the fix. I loaded CivIV Complete because it was on one disk. There's something wrong with Complete which won't let it install the patch. I did what I should have done originally, loaded Vanilla from its disks, then PTW, then BTS. The patch loaded and installed without hesitation or problem. Yeah, it seems silly to have all the disks and Complete, there's a long, involved and boring story as to why I have them all.

Thank you all for your advice. I appreciate your efforts.

This patch has been working on my bts file for the last times and have been on mp enough times to say this. Thank you all.

Hello all. First post.

Just got 'Complete' and it's all installed and running fine. IV and Warlords have been patched to the latest edition. BTS is at 3.13 though, and that leads me to my question...........

What's the latest 'stable' patch? Is it 3.19? Or I see a patch (1.6 I think) to 3.19? Which one is most bug free?

Thanks for any help. Gavin.

Patch 3.19 is fine and bug free.

Download it and install it.

You'll not need to insert your DVD in the machine anymore, 3.19 is DRM free.

Play BtS and enjoy it, it is the best Civ game ever :)

@karadoc

In your opinion is 3.19 quite stable and playable, regardless of the bugs? Or would I be better with 3.17?

3.19 is very playable and from my experience very stable. I can't imagine any good reason to use an older version. Maybe if using a mod that was never updated for 3.19...

Note that 3.19 was a fairly major patch at the time, and while it still has some bugs left in it, it's a long way better than the previous version.

3.19 has the benefit of both being stable AND allowing you to play without your CD. Speeds up the load nicely, been using it since it came out with only the few problems that just haven't been solved. :)

The bugs in 3.19 are ones that have been present since the first BTS release, which Firaxis never fixed. So, 3.19 is stable and more bug free than earlier patches. It does not seem to have added any new bugs.

3.19 is very playable and from my experience very stable. I can't imagine any good reason to use an older version. Maybe if using a mod that was never updated for 3.19...

Note that 3.19 was a fairly major patch at the time, and while it still has some bugs left in it, it's a long way better than the previous version.

Yeah, I'll second that 3.19 is the best patch...the only major problem I can think of is that it completely bugs overflow again...and that it retains the completely borked controls flaws that exist in every patch from vanilla 1.0 until now as well as AP cheese 4eva <3 :)().

It's still the best patch though, and is certainly no less stable than previous versions. If you don't care about overflow :hammers: ----> :gold: this patch is fine.

@karadoc

In your opinion is 3.19 quite stable and playable, regardless of the bugs? Or would I be better with 3.17?
3.19 is certainly the best of the official patches. It is stable and playable.

I was just pointing out that it isn't "bug free". It has lots of bugs. But the bugs are not major; and most of the time they aren't even noticeable.

There are unofficial mods which fix some of the bugs, for example, the "unofficial patch", which fixes a bunch of bugs; and my own mod which includes the unofficial patch as well as some other fixes. (but my mod also changes some of the rules of the game.)

Yeah, I'll second that 3.19 is the best patch...the only major problem I can think of is that it completely bugs overflow again...and that it retains the completely borked controls flaws that exist in every patch from vanilla 1.0 until now as well as AP cheese 4eva <3 :)().

It's still the best patch though, and is certainly no less stable than previous versions. If you don't care about overflow :hammers: ----> :gold: this patch is fine.

TMIT,
Quick question. Can you possibly point me to a particular thread or article that covers the "AP cheese" theories? You always have great takes and reviews regarding the behind the scenes things that are part of this great game. Your a solid player, so I respect your opinions. Would just like to get the low down. I usually just build the damn thing or capture it quickly. Thanks.

TMIT,
Quick question. Can you possibly point me to a particular thread or article that covers the "AP cheese" theories? You always have great takes and reviews regarding the behind the scenes things that are part of this great game. Your a solid player, so I respect your opinions. Would just like to get the low down. I usually just build the damn thing or capture it quickly. Thanks.

1. Build AP in minority religion (probably christian)
2. Switch religion to an AI that likes you and spread AP religion there
3. Spread religion to 1 city each of other AIs.
4. Win.

No joke. You will be the ONLY OPTION for the religious leader victory, and the only people with votes are people who like you (because that's where you spread the religion), and you don't even have to be running the religion...

Which is fine. OF COURSE. But wall whip overflow making protective decent? OH NO, CANT HAVE THAT! Must make sure protective sucks and that we bug overflow, but we won't fix controls or a broken VC!

I should probably get around to removing that cheese strategy in my mod. I'm thinking of just adding a couple of minor rules: 1) The AP state religion must be your state religion to be eligible for the victory vote, even if you are the AP resident. 2) More than half of the world's population must have the AP religion as their state religion.

The first one just make it less likely that your buddy will like you enough to vote for you. The second condition... well I'm pretty sure that would make the cheese strategy unfeasible.

What do you think?

Top Bottom