Civ4 GOTM 1 Results & Congratulations

Woohoo! Lowest scoring domination! You have no idea how much work that took! ;)

Now, let's try a losing effort on prince. :cry:

Out of 623 submissions I came in dead last. That doesn't feel too good. At least I've already won GOTM2 so I won't come in last on that one :)

Thank you VERY much to all those that put so much effort into making the GOTM work so well.
thank you for getting the results posted so fast, this gives me the incentive i needed to continue my attempt at 4OTM-2.

the best part about there being over 600 submissions, is that i almost made it into the top 10% :D . here's hoping to get into the single digit percentile this time.
again THANKS!

EDIT: there REALY should be an award for: Pedro B (#56)
i mean look at the amount of time he invested in the game......143 hours 15 minutes. talk about dedication.
edit2: just realized why that cant realy be an award. way too easy to inflate your time, by leaving the game running.
how about one for "se7en" then (#543) for least time taken for a victory (spaceship none the less too, which means he got all the way through the tech tree), impressive i'd say with only an hour and forty mins.

RoddyVR said:
EDIT: there REALY should be an award for: Pedro B (#56)
i mean look at the amount of time he invested in the game......143 hours 15 minutes. talk about dedication.
edit2: just realized why that cant realy be an award. way too easy to inflate your time, by leaving the game running.
how about one for "se7en" then (#543) for least time taken for a victory (spaceship none the less too, which means he got all the way through the tech tree), impressive i'd say with only an hour and forty mins.

I was looking at the same thing. Even in the top 10 you see folks who played < 10 hours and others who played > 100 hours. I'd always assumed the highest scorers would take longer because they micromanaged everything, considered every choice a bit more carefully, checked their advisors every turn, etc. That does not seem to be the case.

Also, thanks to the GOTM staff for putting on these events.

The clock is pretty meaningless for all but the shortest games because the clock keeps ticking even when the player is AFK. I'm sure that any time over 30 hours contains a big portion of idle time.

It was a great achievement by the GOTM staff and hopefully you feel rewarded by making 623 civ players very happy.

It must be the first time i feel good about finishing 84th in anything. Great scores up near the top and thanks to the extensive wirte ups from all those expert players.

Originally Posted by RoddyVR
how about one for "se7en" then (#543) for least time taken for a victory

I too think this is worthy of an award, it takes great skill to win a game that fast.

AlanH said:
I've used a log scale for score, and you can see that this gives a pretty linear distribution and quite strong correlation.

Thanks Alan. Indeed there is a strong correlation, Hendrikszoon and DaveMcW outlayers do not surprise me. However, indeed, there seems to be a little difference in curves with the different victory conditions. Spaceship is clearly below domination and diplomatic and cultural are somewhat scattered with the latter being the lowest. This could be due to specific game conditions, though.

Sweet, my first gotm ever and I came in 32nd overall. Not too shabby, hopefully I can improve and get up their with the big boys. Special thanks for everyone who put time into playing, generating, and maintaining the gotm. It adds a certain something to civ that helps it keep from getting boring.

My basic goal for this game score wise was to be in the upper half of the games submitted... What do I end up being? 312, aint that a lil bit ironic. =P

solenoozerec said:
Hendrikszoon and DaveMcW outlayers do not surprise me.
They seem to be the only ones who played to the scoring conditions which, I suspect, is why they finished so much ahead of the pack. That, of course, does not take anything away from their achievements. Quite the contrary.

It also appears that the only way to get to the top is with a fast domination. (DaveMcW basically did that just like all the rest of the top scorers. It just amused him to come up with a conquest instead. He could have had either victory condition). I imagine that this is true even with a civ which does not have such an awesome UU.

It's pretty obvious, though, that the scoring system does not do a very good job of comparing different victory conditions. In fact, it is downright awful. Yurian and A'AbarachAmadan had awesome games and yet finished far back in the pack.

Incidently, I agree with BradleyFeanor that Yurian owes us a writeup. :yeah:

Congrats to all the winners, and thanks to the GOTM staff for their dedication! :thumbsup:

Don't feel bad if you didn't win any award... I ended up at the lower half. :p How's that possible? :D

176th, not too bad. I'm surprised I only played for 4 hours though, it felt like a lot longer.

Well done to everyone, especially the GOTM staff for coping with all those submissions:goodjob:

Unfortunately I don't think I'll have the time needed to play GOTM2 well (exams:sad: ), so I'll have to wait until February to see if I can finish higher

- On the results page, is there any significance to some of the scores being in blue?

Finally, I'd like to add my voice to everyone else's in thanking the GOTM team. It was lots of fun and I appreciate all the behind-the-scenes work that went into this.

[edited because the "100 hours" thing was already explained before I pressed the "post reply" button!]

17th for my first GOTM! That's much higher than I expected! I wasted a lot of time before sailing out into sea. I think I've already done better in my 2nd GOTM comparing to the first. Yet the ranking will need another month to be seen.

My thanks to GOTM staff and every winner and loser who submitted the game.

23rd For my First GOTM :crazyeye:

I just want to Make sure I understand the global rankings properly.

My game percentage (33.574)is calculated by

Take 43799 (Memphus) and divide by the top score 130454 (hendrikszoon)

:43799/130454 = .33574 % 100 = 33.574%

This I understand :)

But when a game is 'Progressively Aged' does that mean that a game 9 months ago would have less of an impact on the global ranking than a game 2 months ago?

If this is the case is there somewhere to find the formula?

Gongrats to all winners. :cool: 130,000+ is an impressive score.

I couldn't take part because my laptop is way too slow to run a normal map. I've now gotten my hands to a tower pc and will participate from now on. ;)

solenoozerec said:
Thanks Alan. Indeed there is a strong correlation, Hendrikszoon and DaveMcW outlayers do not surprise me. However, indeed, there seems to be a little difference in curves with the different victory conditions. Spaceship is clearly below domination and diplomatic and cultural are somewhat scattered with the latter being the lowest. This could be due to specific game conditions, though.

The linear correlation with finishing turn seems to be a good reason why spaceship is a low-scoring victory - because it is a later victory condition. If you are well-set for a domination, then you pretty much have your choice of victory condition (by controlling which civs you beat up, when, and by how much). Diplo and Space generally come later because they require you to have reached a certain tech whereas domination and conquest do not.

(There is not actually very much of a science penalty for invading the world as the space race approaches because most of the cities you will take will be well-enough developed that they quickly provide more in tax and looting-value than they consume in maintenance.)

(There is not actually very much of a science penalty for invading the world as the space race approaches because most of the cities you will take will be well-enough developed that they quickly provide more in tax and looting-value than they consume in maintenance.)

This is not true at all. If you expand to the domination limit you will not research as quickly as if you took half as many cities. Not to mention all the hammers you spent on units instead of science buildings and the fact that you tended to work more production tiles than commerce in order to build those units. Take a look at beta gauntlet 1 with fast spacerace victories, no one was close to the domination limit in those, and that's only playing with 4 opponents on a standard map with no barbarians.

Top Bottom