Civ4 GOTM 1 Results & Congratulations

AlanH said:
Thanks - well spotted :thumbsup: A bug that's been hibernating ever since C3C COTM 1. Fixed.

I only noticed because I was trying to figure out why my GOTM1 ranking was different from my Global Ranking. With a data set of 1 game, they should be the same!

It's nice to know my mediocre game performance served some purpose -- if I had done better, I would have scored higher than Speedy and wouldn't have noticed the discrepancy!

:/ I submitted mine around the 22nd and never got a confirmation or anything, and then forgot about it until now.

Thanks for the answer so quick Alan!!!

I thought there might be some discussion going on.....the way you all are on top of everything.

Thanks!

Xerol said:
:/ I submitted mine around the 22nd and never got a confirmation or anything, and then forgot about it until now.
It never appeared in our database. I would guess you received an error message and didn't notice.

Harok said:
One thing that would be really nice would be a way to only show a certain victory condition or a page for each. I know I can search through them to compare my win to the other cultural wins but with 6,239,762 entries it is a little tough.:crazyeye:
Quite right :thumbsup:. It's never been necessary before, with typically around a hundred submissions per game. I'll be refining the data displays and providing more features as time goes on. Let's hope that we keep the current great level of support for future games to justify doing it.

beestar said:
- On the results page, is there any significance to some of the scores being in blue?

Hmm, thanks. Scores are colour coded for entry class. Somehow two entries had been tagged as Conquest class, which is one of the classes we provide in the Civ3 games, and gets coloured blue. They were very early submissions, so I guess they got hit by a gremlin. I've fixed it.

I'm realy impressed by the big scoring.
Seems thant conquest and domination will rule the GOTM challenge once again in the CIV4!!!!!!!

Thanks so much to the staff members, this has been a big fun.
Thanks also to all participants, specially those who wrote their logs for others to learn from.

Regarding the scoring system, it must be wrong. How can my awful game be rated the 26th? I suppose all of us made a lot of mistakes, the game being so new.

My objective for the game is always "to win asap" so I choose the VC that best suits the current map. IMHO it is not good to leverage the score of different VC: if you are playing a duel map, how can you even consider a Spaceship Victory? So if it were my decision, only victory date would be taken into account, not population or anything else. This is my personal option, anyway.
On the other hand, Cultural Victory is a completely different beast, it has nothing to do with a "normal" game. Hummmmm.

@abegweit, you are completely right when you say that there must be a lot of idle time for people putting more then 30 hours in the game. I did not pour over the game for 60 hours, there was actually a 30 minutes interruption ;-)
I have the necesity to visit a city every time it grows, as I don't trust the governor. And also, when War Weariness takes a citizen out. And also... So it takes me a lot of time to complete a game.
That's why GOTM2 is not being so fun for me, post-1000AD-turns take so long in Epic as they used to do with Civ3 (when it took me 9 months to complete a GOTM, so I only played QSC and abandoned the game). If someone wrote a guide to play using minimal real-life time, I would be grateful.

A final question: the score and the final score don't seem to correlate. Take two random players, jesusin 26th and klarius 25th, for example. Same VC, same year, their values are 5401-42589 and 5310-43339. The second has less score but more final score.
Is the "score" not the score on the winning date but on the previous date? Then the example situation would be explained if jesusin just got one more tile in his territory to barely achieve Domination Victory in his last turn whereas klarius got a lot of cities growing in pop and a lot of borders expansion and maybe a couple of culture-bombs in that last turn.
I am sorry I can't open the saves to verify it mysef.

A final question: the score and the final score don't seem to correlate. Take two random players, jesusin 26th and klarius 25th, for example. Same VC, same year, their values are 5401-42589 and 5310-43339. The second has less score but more final score.
The score is calculated by adding together four different score elements - pop, land, techs and culture. The final score is calculated by modifying each of those elements and summing them. The modifiers are not proportional, and the first three are exponential. So even if two base scores at the same victory date are identical, but made up of four different score element values, then the modified sums will not necessarily be the same.

Xerol said:

Same exact thing happened to me. I thought I had submitted, and was surprised when I did not see my name in the list. If there was a error message upon submission, I missed it. I'll pay more attention next time. Are you supposed to get a confirmation of some sort when you upload succesfully?

Yes, if you have submit successfully you should see a screen that acknowledges your entry and summarises your submission data. A copy of that screen is also sent to the email address you supply.

If there's a problem you'll see an error screen that looks completely different, with red text on it, and you don't get an email. Since this game started I *do* get a mail if your upload fails, as I'm interested in what difficulties players have in case I can improve the process. So far the errors I've seen are mainly invalid email addresses, and errors in selecting the correct files to upload, and players have corrected the errors and successfully submitted second time around..

Since neither you nor Xerol appeared in our database or uploaded files directory for GOTM 1 it seems most likely that there was an error message and you missed it. One advantage of automated systems is that they are pretty consistent. With 620 uploads, if there had been a system problem then we'd have had more than two players complaining.

Woho. Fastest space race. I am really chufed, I cannot remember the last time I won anything with more players than a poker table ;)

Thanks all (but mostly the organisers) for the very entertaining game. See you all in GOTM 2.

193 FriendlyFire 6853 1973AD Domination Victory 15042 C4 1.09 12:00:19 <------ About 10 of those hours were done all in the final day.

I suprised I ranked so High (193) given the absolute disaterous start and numerous early mistakes I made. Thanks for putting us right next to the Greeks (quite a shock to find myself having to face off with an militaistc AI, No doubt Anwood did this buy design)

When the 100 turns remaining appeared I admitt I was looking at best a timeline victory. Domination Victory came as a total suprise to me (Didnt know about the victory condition screen)

The GOTM 1 saves, linked from the Results page, are now unprotected, and should load up in 1.52 if you want to have a look at them. Sorry for the delay in getting this done. Please let me know if you have trouble with any of them.

Top Bottom