Civ4 HUD Color Utility

Lemon Merchant

Not Quite Sonic
Retired Moderator
****************** Civilization 4 (BTS) HUD Color Tool ******************

Now improved! Version 2 has been released with source code.

Well, kids, I got so fed up with how difficult it is to edit HUD colors in BTS, that I made a little gizmo to do the job.

This handy little application will allow you to dial up your HUD color of preference and save it to your theme file, without any drama at all.

This is what it looks like:
Spoiler :

You can get pretty much any color under the rainbow. Here is an unfortunate example: :p

Spoiler :

And you can find it here in the download section: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=17360

Be sure to read the readme file for instructions. I've tested it here at home and it runs fine. Please let me know if you get any hiccups.

Have fun! :)

If this works the way you say it does, then this is a fantastic utility, we need more people and ideas like this, so many many thx.

OK when i save it, it changes the color different from what i have them set to?
1. What i wanted.
2. What it changed to by itself.
3. Ingame?
Re: #2. it changed by itself? That shouldn't happen. Did you bump the Alpha slider? The ingame picture looks about right, if that's what the color wound up as in #2.

That alpha chanel value is probably controlling the transparency ;).

At topic: Nice one :goodjob:. I'm sure it will be useful for some people :).
@ The_J: You are right. The transparency is controlled by the Alpha slider. I'm hoping that I can figure out a way to show a small Civ screenie with the color swatch on top, so that you will be able to better judge the transparency effect.

I'm glad that you both liked the idea. Thanks for the encouragement. :)

EDIT: I just took a peek, and I can't duplicate Strat's problem, but I found a quirk that I don't like. I'll fix it this week while I do the transparency thing and release as version 2. Version 1 is fully functional, but the Reset doesn't work after the new colors are saved. You can only use Reset before saving the colors. I'll tweak that. :)

Very nice :goodjob:
I always like seeing utilities which make life easier.

Next stop - a full scaleform theme editor ;)

BTW - any intentions of releasing the source code? (another thing I like seeing :lol:)

Very nice :goodjob:
I always like seeing utilities which make life easier.

Next stop - a full scaleform theme editor ;)

BTW - any intentions of releasing the source code? (another thing I like seeing :lol:)
Once I release version 2, (probably today, I'll zip the source in with it). I'm just fixing a couple of visual bugs that don't affect the operation of the app, they just bug me. :)

I might just tackle an editor as "something to do."

Normal women do gardening, crafts... My hobby is being a total dork. :lol:

Normal women do gardening, crafts... My hobby is being a total dork. :lol:

I was always under the impression that being a dork is normal ;)

I've been searching for a scaleform editor (at least according to the scaleform website, civ is the first game to use scaleform), but it seems that today they only use flash as a standalone editor. I don't know if it's relevant for this old version...

Version 2 has been uploaded with source code.

Enjoy. ;)

:bowdown: I've been waiting for this for BAT for ages! This is a great utility for Civ, thanks LM! :goodjob:

Just used this, VERY handy, thanks for posting it :)

Error!
Unable to make a backup copy of the file.
The following exception has occured:
Acces to the path '...' is denied!

Error!
Unable to make a backup copy of the file.
The following exception has occured:
Acces to the path '...' is denied!
Run the program as administrator.

when i run the program it never loads. Is there something wrong with my .net installation

when i run the program it never loads. Is there something wrong with my .net installation

Can you elaborate? Do you get an error message when it doesn't load?

no error messages whatsoever. i run the program as administrator and a small loading icon appears next to the mouse for a second and then goes away and the program never starts up.

Yeah . I like that . Instead of a large number of HUD files we'll to suply our mods only your utility . I take it . It's great. thanks

Top Bottom