Civ4 Roll Call: Who has it?

mine arrived this afternoon. installing now.

the twitching is getting worse. 6 more minutes....

BTW, does anyone know if I can just image the DVD and mount it to play or is this one of those "dvd must be in the drive" games?

is this one of those "dvd must be in the drive" games?
I'm pretty sure this is the case, since it's Aspyr policy.

It arrived today in the mail and it plays reasonably well on a dual 2GHz G5 with a Radeon 9600 64MB card, of course that is at 1024x768 with low details.

Some early thoughts - it doesn't seem possible to stop the tutorial and restart it where you left off, I can't figure out if I can control the camera zoom or not, and not having played CivIII but going from CivII to CivII there are many differences in gameplay and rules to figure out.

Got it, installed, playing. First impressions on performance in the "first impression" thread.

Just got back from work and it was here waiting for me, And with tomorrow off, I plan on disappearing till wednesday morning.

Mine came this morning.
I was really excited because it was supposed to ship on the 13th. :)

It works beautifully on my MBP, for those who would like to know.

Edit: And that's with substandard graphics performance due to the Intel 10.4.6 update, apparently. (If you have an Intel Mac, click this link. It's important.)

AlanH said:
I'm pretty sure this is the case, since it's Aspyr policy.
Though you can just pop it out after the game has loaded by hitting the eject key.
So it's only in there for half a minuteish.

That's a really relieving thing to me, actually, because whenever a disk is in my MBP's SuperDrive it likes to spin forever. And it's one loud drive.

If any one cares- they were stocking Civ4 in the Emeryville, CA AppleStore yesterday when I went in to buy a disk maintenance program. Applestore seems to have a pretty strict policy in terms of returns, so I'm waiting to hear from the first Powerbook user to get it working before i shell out the $50.

Macintosh said:
German reseller Arktis will start shipping to customers on July 03rd., 2006
Arktis has rescheduled: new date for shipping is July 11th., 2006. :cry:

Here is some feedback: 20" Intel iMac, 1.5 GB RAM ...

Graphics/sound/playability so far good, though I have yet to proceed much into even the ancient era.

It has crashed the OS once - some sort of video card issue - in about 30 minutes of play time.

They're going to have to patch this thing.

I got back from work yesterday and received an empty envelope from Mac Game Store. Noooo! They even stole my receipt... :mad: Luckily the good folks down at macgamestore.com sent me out a new copy. I guess I’ll have to wait another couple more days to play civ 4. :(

Hello-
I loaded mine yesterday evening (Amazon), and it gives me an error (XML Load Error) when I try to run on either my 1.33 Ibook, or 1.25 Powerbook. Anyone else have this problem? I know these are sub-par machines, but does that cause the error, oris their hope?
Pete

I doubt if the XML Load Error is a performance issue. More likely the way you have it installed. I think you said in another thread that you have it on an external drive. Does the error message give any more information? Or do you get a crash report in /Applications/Console ... Logs ... ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Civ4 ...

Note that you'll probably get no support from Aspyr for trying to run it on that level of hardware.

Thanks, AlanH, I solved my startup problem, it was all me.
In my zeal to see if it would run, when I dragged to my external drive, I moved only the game app, not the folder, so it couldn't find the resources.
Once I corrected that omission, it now runs. At least it runs as you might expect on a too-slow machine with only 512MB ram. We'll see if it will last into the late game.
It is good to find that one can play on the g4 platforms that so many of us have.
Pete

But Anyways,
I got Civ 4 today, and installed on my lovely mac:
iMac G4 800mhz
32mbVRAM nVidia GeForce 2MX
512 mb SDRAM
And it Ran!
Albeit terribly slowly (roughly 1 fps). Spock Spoke, and all was well.
I believe I will shelve this beauty until Apple releases the iMac Merom/Conroe, and Aspyr patches the major things you all are griping about.
Until then,
promethean_beta

My copy of Civ IV arrived Thursday, and the computer capable of playing it will arrive mid-week next week. Odds are, I won't even bother installing Civ IV until I'm familiar with the ins-and-outs of the new Intel iMac.

Other folks' experiences with Civ IV have been immensely enlightening, however.

Gatekeeper

I purchased the game at the Apple store last night. My system does not meet the minimum requirements. My specs are:

PowerMac G4 1.25 Ghz
64mb Radeon 9000
768 mb or Ram

I was trying to hold off on getting the game until someone else with my same system specs posted results. So I guess I'm the quinea Pig. My expectations were low but I could not help myself. The game is running better than I expected. I played on a small map my first time with all setting set to low. I played for 8 hours straight. the game ran about the same speed 8 hours in as it did in the beginning. I'm sure the endgame will slow dow quite a bit. But, for someone who used to play Civ II on the playstation Im familiar with extreme slowdown. I just wanted to play. I love this game. Hopefully the future patch will optimze performance for me as well as everyone else who meets the system specs. By the way I'm have all the same sound problems as everyone else. If you have a system close to mine and arent really in it for all the eye candy. It is playable(At least half way through).

Hi Mac friends, I've joined the civ4 club :D

It was funny, I was checking my bookmark to the Civfanatics Mac forum, and wondering lately "why isn't anyone posting on civ4?".. only to realize the game released last week and civfanatics created a new civ4 mac forum! lol

Anyway, bought the game 2 nights ago at Apple Store in downtown San Francisco (they had plenty of them). When I discovered this forum and was reading about so many of your posts, I got worried about performance (all I read were frustrations, no one enjoying the game). I can add my experience after playing a bit, it runs slooow indeed.

I have:
single 1.8 Ghz G5 powermac
1.5 GB RAM (I had upgraded)
ATI Radeon 9600 with 256 MB vram (I had upgraded)

I figured the game would start fast and get slower as time goes, but instead the game was agonizingly slow on the very first turn (& the tutorial). I have settings set to low, but just moving a settler 1 square drives me nuts. I find clicking on "go to" helps with that. Funny thing though (and similar to the personw that posted with the g4), things are not slowing down (it's 840AD now). It seems like the problem is generating the whole map at once.

Despite the slow performance, the game is really fun. I'll post in first impressions forum..

happy civing everyone!

For me the game doesn't slow down as you get deeper into the game, it's slow right from the beginning and doesn't really change.

iamliberal said:
I figured the game would start fast and get slower as time goes, but instead the game was agonizingly slow on the very first turn (& the tutorial). I have settings set to low, but just moving a settler 1 square drives me nuts. I find clicking on "go to" helps with that. Funny thing though (and similar to the personw that posted with the g4), things are not slowing down (it's 840AD now). It seems like the problem is generating the whole map at once.

This is probably unrelated, but I had a similar problem when trying to play PC Civ4 on my laptop with an underspec video card. My computer actually had a harder time when you only knew part of the world map compared with when it knew the whole map when revealed through the worldbuilder (or when you had traded for the whole world map, or had the tech Satellites). Something to do with knowing what to black out and what not to... This had the unforunate effect of the video card not being able to draw any of the terrain until the whole map was known! :crazyeye: I actually finished one of the first GOTM's this way- but it really was more of a chore than it should have been, and I uninstalled not too long after that...

Got mine a couple of days ago and still haven't got the hang of it yet, I'll hang in there for a while but I can honestly say I can't get used to how slow my cities improvemnts/wonders take to construct, I guess I need to read the instructions as i must be missing something (my brain?). I found II & III much easier to get into, maybe I'm just getting old but I really craved a game of Civ II/III :(

Top Bottom