Civ4 Roll Call: Who has it?

I have it as of today. Can't say I am super thrilled at the moment having played the Windows version and suddenly wondering "Why the hell is it so quiet" when I was playing and realizing the sounds were not there.

Hydromac, there is an option when starting a new game to shorten the build time on everything so that the game moves faster, that may help for your play style ;)

Guys, Im so addicted I dont even want to spend the time to write my first impressions in the forum... lol

Wow! Notification today that my copy has shipped from MacGold UK :D

That's why I thought it might be useful to post the news. If you're in the UK, consider cancelling Amazon and reordering on MacGold.

Civ IV has landed!

Not really played it properly yet....seems fine with all setting high and anti-aliasing at 2...so far.

Doesn't want to play music...but will play custom music no sweat.

Will report progress later.

Would kinda feel bad if it worked perfectly...only so bad though:mischief:

girtholomew said:
Doesn't want to play music...but will play custom music no sweat.
That strikes me as one of the most useless options they could include. I guess it is just another PC legacy.

Option A) Create a folder filled with the music you want Civ IV to play and rename it so that it plays in the order you want it. Remember to modify this folder every time you want to change the music you listen to.

Option B) Use iTunes in the background with all its built-in jukebox abilities.

Hmmm... such a hard choice.

Keep your hair on:blush:

a) Playing in the window gets on my tits
b) I only want certain tunes that are appropriate to the game in my mind (e.g. The Who)
c) I like some of the in-game music
d) I like the choice

Amazon UK are now showing it as in stock....and mine's on the way, Can't wait to try out the bugs.....sorry, gameplay. (Still, I remember running the original Civ on an Amiga that couldn't cope with the animations then....marching troops would suddenly vanish from their 2D cartoon background).

girtholomew said:
Keep your hair on:blush:

a) Playing in the window gets on my tits
b) I only want certain tunes that are appropriate to the game in my mind (e.g. The Who)
c) I like some of the in-game music
d) I like the choice
Still got my hair :)
a) You can cmd-tab between application in full screen mode as well
b) You can make and manage a custom playlist in iTunes much more easily than in Civ IV
c) Add it to your iTunes library and include it in your custom playlist
d) I'm glad I have the choice to use iTunes

Vive la difference!

I just picked this up at the Apple Store in Cupertino and was pretty dissapointed to find the performance issue everyone else sees on my 1.67/1 GB PowerBook.
Perhaps I should've read these forums first but so far it's so slow I'd almost rather stick with Civ3.
I sure hope these guys can get a performance fixing patch out soon!

My big grant application is officially submitted, so I took some time this morning to head down to the Emeryville, CA Apple Store and pick up Civ4. The clerk said "Oh! I spend WAY to much time playing this game!" :lol: I asked him about performance, and he said he has the cheap Macbook with 512 ram. He says its a bit slow and has had a few crashes, but was otherwise really happy with the game.

I'm at work now- although my DVD is mere inches away, I can't install it now :cry:

(I'll have it on a 15" Powerbook 1.5, 1gb, ATI 9700 64mb- should be ok for smaller maps with low graphics...)

Welnic said:
You had to submit a grant just to buy the game? :)

Just about! :lol:

Actually, if we get the grant I know we'll be getting a MacBook Pro for work, and my salary would go up so I'd likely get some new hardware at home too. Unfortunately we won't know until October or November. :(

Truthfully, knowing my willpower, it would have been a bad idea to get the game when I had something that important to do. Now I have about a week before I go to France when I don't really have too much high priority work on my plate, so except for girlfriend time I should be able to get some good civving in.

[Edit- couldn't resist- plugged in headphones and installed on my powerbook at work. music seemed ok on intro videos. Videos had low frame rate, but did not stutter in the way they did on my Presario. Argh! I just want to go home and play!]

Top Bottom