Civ5 available for preload on Steam - NOW (September, 13th)

What debacle? On what grounds are you "dissatisfied"?

You want to criticism D2D after they give us the best deal for Civ? They never promised early keys, why would they even break the release date?

What's the matter with you? Stop trying to create a controversy where none exists.

Because, I'm confident it is little more poor planning and outmoded business/operational practices thats behind the failure to let us pre-load, and that these things are easily fixed with a little wilpower at the right level in the company (D2D).

Preloading has obvious advantages around spreading server load and delivering a timely product to the consumer (us). It has advantages for both sides. Maybe they won't fix it in time for Civ5 but perhaps they'll start thinking about it for future games... its constructive, everybody wins, its called progress :)

I have no idea why you would speak up for maintaining the status quo, -we incur unnecessary delays in getting our game, D2D need to buy more bandwidth unnecessarily to allow everyone to download at the same time, D2D come across as outdated, their sales suffer. Not exactly 'best practice'.

Moderator Action: *snip*

Shouldn't you be contacting Firaxis or Valve?

What does complaining to D2D accomplish? D2D is not the developer, or the platform on which the game is based. How is it in their hands at all?

They don't get to decide when to release the keys, they have a release date to abide by. Why don't you email Gamestop, Amazon, Best Buy and all the other retail stores? The keys found in the boxes are the same that D2D will email you.

Moderator Action: *snip*

Because, I'm confident it is little more poor planning and outmoded business/operational practices thats behind the failure to let us pre-load, and that these things are easily fixed with a little wilpower at the right level in the company (D2D).

Preloading has obvious advantages around spreading server load and delivering a timely product to the consumer (us). It has advantages for both sides. Maybe they won't fix it in time for Civ5 but perhaps they'll start thinking about it for future games... its constructive, everybody wins, its called progress :)

I have no idea why you would speak up for maintaining the status quo, -we incur unnecessary delays in getting our game, D2D need to buy more bandwidth unnecessarily to allow everyone to download at the same time, D2D come across as outdated, their sales suffer. Not exactly 'best practice'.

Based on your post above at best your are simply opening your mouth without engaging brain first, you are particularly short sighted with regards where things might end up if everyone adopted the same atitude as you.... or you are just trolling.

D2D doesn't buy more bandwidth, you have to download from Steam so it's their bandwidth. D2D doesn't generate the keys either, that has to come from Steam and then through D2D to you.

I switched the date on my PC to September 24th but the game doesn't work :D

Maybe I'll do what The Ramones suggested: One, one, one, one, one week to gooo, I want to be sedated!

Shouldn't you be contacting Firaxis or Valve?

Humm lets break that down too:

My theory: D2D might be motivated by a "we're losing sales and should get out act together" line to do a combination of distributing the keys as soon as the recieve them on grounds key embargo's won;t matter for a steam-locked game and/or negotiate terms with steam/firaxis in future to make sure they get keys in a timely mannar

Your theory: you think the best way to get D2D to do the above is talk to a completly separate company Firaxis/Valve to get onto D2D and talk to them about pre-releasing keys for predownload? you think that would be more effective and they would be better motivated to do that than D2D themselves?

....sorry, I'm afraid I've got you down as just not very bright now :)

Can anyone that preloaded be able to tell where the game installs to? Does the game install to a directory in the common folder, the username folder, or is it just a bunch of .ncf files? And what are the file sizes in them.

The reason I ask is that I use symbolic links to be able to put games on the hard drive that I want, since steam doesn't have that feature. And since I ordered it on D2D, it doesn't look like I'm gonna be able to preload it, so I wanna make Gameday as easy as possible.

Humm lets break that down too:

My theory: D2D might be motivated by a "we're losing sales and should get out act together" line to do a combination of distributing the keys as soon as the recieve them on grounds key embargo's won;t matter for a steam-locked game and/or negotiate terms with steam/firaxis in future to make sure they get keys in a timely mannar

Your theory: you think the best way to get D2D to do the above is talk to a completly separate company Firaxis/Valve to get onto D2D and talk to them about pre-releasing keys for predownload? you think that would be more effective and they would be better motivated to do that than D2D themselves?

....sorry, I'm afraid I've got you down as just not very bright now :)

Delicious irony.

Kk, I'm out of this conversation. Enjoy your pointless endeavor.

on grounds key embargo's won;t matter for a steam-locked game
Wait, you want a company to break a signed contract embargo, just so you get the game a couple of hours earlier? Riiiight.

Can anyone that preloaded be able to tell where the game installs to? Does the game install to a directory in the common folder, the username folder, or is it just a bunch of .ncf files? And what are the file sizes in them.

The reason I ask is that I use symbolic links to be able to put games on the hard drive that I want, since steam doesn't have that feature. And since I ordered it on D2D, it doesn't look like I'm gonna be able to preload it, so I wanna make Gameday as easy as possible.

you can choose the default steam install location within steam, everything you get via steam will then install there in a sub directory

Wait, you want a company to break a signed contract embargo, just so you get the game a couple of hours earlier? Riiiight.

no i'm alleging any specific contract embarg doesn't exist, would be kinda pointless, and even if it did exist could probably be negotiated by either party differently next time with a little willpower.

Zimbu seems to think pointless barriers against preloading are a very good thing and sees fit to passionately support them (for reasons he seems unable to articulate).

He also seems to think its ironic when I point out complaining to companys A and/or B because you want company C to do something is might be less effective than complaining to company C directly??

I stand by my earlier comments about him :)

you can choose the default steam install location within steam, everything you get via steam will then install there in a sub directory

I know that, but I wanna know the exact directory. For example, I have Fallout 3 installed on steam, but I don't want it on the same hard drive as steam. But it automatically installs to a folder on my PC that looks like this:

X:\Steam\steamapps\common\fallout 3

However, I have all the data that is contained in that folder in:

Z:\Steam\Fallout 3

I do that through something called symbolic links. I just want to go ahead and have that setup, so that the day I can install it, I can save myself the time of setting that up.

I know that, but I wanna know the exact directory. For example, I have Fallout 3 installed on steam, but I don't want it on the same hard drive as steam. But it automatically installs to a folder on my PC that looks like this:

X:\Steam\steamapps\common\fallout 3

However, I have all the data that is contained in that folder in:

Z:\Steam\Fallout 3

I do that through something called symbolic links. I just want to go ahead and have that setup, so that the day I can install it, I can save myself the time of setting that up.

Out of curiosity, why would you do that?

edit: I see, a different partition/filesystem. I withdraw the question.

no i'm alleging any specific contract embarg doesn't exist, would be kinda pointless, and even if it did exist could probably be negotiated by either party differently next time with a little willpower.
Its not pointless at all. Steam wants to reward *its* direct customers by letting them preload first, when servers are least clogged.

If you were a Steam customer, you'd be whining if your download took too long because they didn't give you preferential treatment.

Its not pointless at all. Steam wants to reward *its* direct customers by letting them preload first, when servers are least clogged.

If you were a Steam customer, you'd be whining if your download took too long because they didn't give you preferential treatment.

Not impossible but I'm certainly not 100% convinced to the extent Zimbu is and completly rule out things being down D2D being a bit slow off the mark and/or stuck in the rut of how old non-steam games worked.

My option is I'd suggest its at least worth trying to barrack D2D a little to have a chance of either getting some movement or more info out of them?

If you don't try nothing's ever really likely change. you get stuck in a dull inefficient rut like Zimbu and attack people who suggest things could be different with a little effort :)

Take your choice :king:

Can someone do a dir /s/b > c:\civfiles.txt and attach/spoiler the list of files in civ5?

We might be able to deduce some interesting things from that. :)

Top Bottom