Civ5 interface - 1st image

Why is there a global Health display as well as a global Happiness Display?
(At least that's what the green face and the yellow face next to it look like)

I don't think the yellow dot is a face. It looks more like a turn counter (notice the 0/500 next to it) or something. The green smiley, I have no clue about, but it could of course be some new kind of happiness mechanic.

PS! That picture made my day (in addition to the fact that I was right about the settler :p)

Now, for some actual speculation :p - Jasmine is such an astoundingly stereotypical Persian name, but Arabic 'Persian', not ancient Persian (eg: ARAAAAABIAAAAN NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHTS, LIKE ARAAAAABIAAAAN DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYS). I suppose if they're going for the whole authenticity thing, this means he's playing as Arabs? Not particularly useful information, but eh.

I'm also trying to read his logs on the other side. Can only make out a few words and none of them useful.

Extracting from the screenshot:
2. Buttons on the lefthand side might be a little inconvenient, though.

From what has already been provided, I expect one of those circular icons are the event icons that will probably drop down similar to what happens in the Total War series. They won't be your usual action buttons and will only appear to advise you of certain events and allow quick navigation to its location.

I don't think the yellow dot is a face. It looks more like a turn counter (notice the 0/500 next to it) or something. The green smiley, I have no clue about, but it could of course be some new kind of happiness mechanic.

My first thought was wealth and that the 500 suggests a system similiar to Revolution. Economic victory?

My first thought was wealth and that the 500 suggests a system similiar to Revolution. Economic victory?

That was in fact my second thought after I noticed the turn counter in the upper right :) Economics or something else. While the happy face is referring to some kind of diplomatic situation. Especially as it's grouped with culture and research. These are just wild speculations though, and I almost expect them to be wrong :p

Rexflex said:
From what has already been provided, I expect one of those circular icons are the event icons that will probably drop down similar to what happens in the Total War series. They won't be your usual action buttons and will only appear to advise you of certain events and allow quick navigation to its location.

They are definitely action buttons. The top one is clearly "Build City". In the article, they describe them to be placed there, and that the least used ones will be hidden. Hence that "Secondary Actions" button directly below them.

So does this mean Civ-flavored advisers?
I reckon if even they give us that it will be too much to expect era-flavored leaderheads again.

So does this mean Civ-flavored advisers?
I reckon if even they give us that it will be too much to expect era-flavored leaderheads again.

I guess that may depend on whether the advisers are animated or just static images. If they are static, then perhaps era & civ flavoured advisers would be possible.

Although if I had to put money on it, I'd say 3d animated era specific advisers will be what we will get.

It could be tutorial or event. Notice some of the last words are yellow (Pedia links?).

My guess is event with the two choice buttons below.

It clearly says "foreign advisor".

Here is the full text:

Explore the World

Jasmine [?], Foreign Advisor

Consider sending your Warriors out to explore new territory.

Find Warrior ¦ Thank you

I thought it said that initially, but when I look closer it looks like it says "Find Warrior". This would make more sense, too - an option to zoom to the warrior the advisor is referring to, without the danger of issuing orders to a unit without you knowing which one.

I thought it said that initially, but when I look closer it looks like it says "Find Warrior". This would make more sense, too - an option to zoom to the warrior the advisor is referring to, without the danger of issuing orders to a unit without you knowing which one.

You're definitely right. I'll amend.

I think Empire-wide culture (the 0/40 icon in the top row) is very interesting.

The biggest problem with culture in Civ4 is that it only has an impact on your border cities, or for winning the game. Otherwise, its pretty much irrelevant whether your city has 2000 culture or 15,000 culture.

Merging this into a single faction-wide value of national culture is a great way to fix this.

My speculation is this; there is now a global culture counter for a civ. Each time it passes a new level, you can "buy" a new hex to be inside your border.

Not quite sure how this would work with the "differential prices" for different terrains (eg swamp harder to claim than grassland). So, still not quite right.

My guess for the 0/500 thing would either be turns (this is obviously the beginning of the game), but on the right side it says "Turn 0 4000 BC" which would render it redundant. Whatever it is, it's some kind of "goal" to attain...or limit...or something like that...

Overall though the interface looks great...now we know why there were those round icons in the IGN preview...;)

Looks to me like mountains will be impassable in Civ5. At least with ground units.

My speculation is this; there is now a global culture counter for a civ. Each time it passes a new level, you can "buy" a new hex to be inside your border.

Not quite sure how this would work with the "differential prices" for different terrains (eg swamp harder to claim than grassland). So, still not quite right.

In the IGN preview, they wrote that you don't direct the culture towards hexes. It's differentiated automatically towards places where people are more inclined to settle down. You can invest in tiles to speed up the process for that tile, though, but as I understood it you use gold for that.

So I'm guessing there still is a culture level for each city, in addition to some kind of empire wide culture.

It clearly says "foreign advisor".

Here is the full text:

------------------------------------
Full text:
Jasmine, Foreign Adviser
"Consider sending your warrior out to explore new territory"

At the top order : "No Science" "Coin" "Green ok Smiley" " Yellow happy smiley" and " Purple Note"

In the IGN preview, they wrote that you don't direct the culture towards hexes. It's differentiated automatically towards places where people are more inclined to settle down. You can invest in tiles to speed up the process for that tile, though, but as I understood it you use gold for that.

So I'm guessing there still is a culture level for each city, in addition to some kind of empire wide culture.

Yeah, I read the IGN preview after posting.

But why does this necessarily imply a localized city culture?
I could see an empire-wide culture working, with each X culture earned buying a new tile somewhere in the empire, favoring tiles that are on better terrain, and favornig tiles that are closer to your cities (so that a new city will tend to expand to its 2nd ring before an old city expands to its 4th ring). You could also just spend Y gold to buy an extra tile somewhere (you don't pick the tile, it could be picked on the same random basis.

Local *and* global culture seems like it would be confusing, and the screenshot seems to imply global culture.

I'm betting that one of the big reasons that they're doing the culture system as they are (flatlands covered faster) is to encourage more "natural" national borders. Most national borders are along natural boundaries; rivers or mountain chains. Exception obviously for post-colonial boundaries drawn by arbitrary lines on a map (US/Canada, Africa, etc.).
This will also obviously have military implications, because with impassible mountains and 1upT it is going to be much harder to invade through mountain passes, so controlling the difficult terrain culturally will give a big tactical advantage (and having those areas on the borders will make invasions more difficult).

oh gawd.... what i would do for this game right now..... im just grateful that they are making a civ v.... im just staring at this screenshot and imagining what gameplay would be like..... 6 months, tick, tock, tick tock....

Top Bottom