Civ5 interface - 1st image

Wow. The interface and the mountain range looks awesome. :D

Bah, to me it looks like a rehash of Civ IV Colonization graphs ( ok, this is a pre-alpha , so we will see things far better... )... even the interface is strikingly similar to the one there, except this one is in light blue tones :p

I like the foriegn advisor, reminds me of the one from Civ2. *hehe* The Graphics look great to me, very refreshing from the CivIV ones. Very good find here. :goodjob:

The more I look at that screenshot, the more I like it. I wonder what the third action button from the top is. The top one is obviously "build city", the second is probably "go to", and the fourth one is "sleep." What about the third one? It's an arrow going around the top of a blank globe. Could it be "explore"? Now, there also seems to be a sort of green flag or something down at the bottom right of the big settler portrait. I wonder what that does?

It clearly says "foreign advisor".

Here is the full text:

It does clearly say "Foreign Advisor" but that's clearly a tutorial popup. First turn, nothing's occurred, and an advisor pops up and says, "Hey, to play the game you might consider moving your warrior to explore the World."

That's pretty tutorialish to me. ;)

It does clearly say "Foreign Advisor" but that's clearly a tutorial popup. First turn, nothing's occurred, and an advisor pops up and says, "Hey, to play the game you might consider moving your warrior to explore the World."

That's pretty tutorialish to me. ;)

I think tutorial pop-ups are where we're mostly going to see these advisors. Wanna bet? Say $5, AU? ;)

The more I look at that screenshot, the more I like it. I wonder what the third action button from the top is. The top one is obviously "build city", the second is probably "go to", and the fourth one is "sleep." What about the third one? It's an arrow going around the top of a blank globe. Could it be "explore"? Now, there also seems to be a sort of green flag or something down at the bottom right of the big settler portrait. I wonder what that does?

My guess is that the third button is "skip turn". The green flag is perhaps to indicate that the unit has moves left (like the green "ball" above unit flags in Civ IV) :)

I think tutorial pop-ups are where we're mostly going to see these advisors. Wanna bet? Say $5, AU? ;)

It will be when wonders are finished, both yours and foreign, peace treaties, war declarations(between any civs), new techs, meeting new civs, barbarians, happiness, perhaps they'll remind us that we've used up all our available resources. And there are probably other things too.

Yeah, that's pretty much the role I forsee them playing too. One would assume that a seasoned player isn't going to get an advisor popup telling them some incredibly useful piece of advice.

If you look closely at the selected settler unit 'window' in the lower left corner, beneath the movement speed info three crescent moons can be seen. I believe this may be a national icon indicator, suggesting the civilization being played is an Islamic one. The fact that the foreign advisor's name is Jasmine (a name of middle-eastern origin), this may suggest we'll indeed have culturally diverse advisors and possibly even more cultural/ethnic diversity between civs.

The first thing I noticed about this screenshot was that it was 4000BC...turn 1.
The second thing I noticed was that I could see all the terrain...there is no fog of war!

How could you do this to us Firaxis, it is clear from this single piece of evidence that they have totally removed this important feature and nothing can now convince me that this game will be any good at all.
Spoiler :
:joke:

I wonder what the third action button from the top is. The top one is obviously "build city", the second is probably "go to", and the fourth one is "sleep." What about the third one? It's an arrow going around the top of a blank globe. Could it be "explore"?
I think, its just "unit skip this turn". Compare with Civ4 icons, it was looking similar. OTOH there is a button on the right side for this ...

Now, there also seems to be a sort of green flag or something down at the bottom right of the big settler portrait. I wonder what that does?
Hm, just guessing ... this flag may hide/show some nationality indicator on map. Maybe borders or units nationality, like flags and colour in Civ4.

Things I like: Jasmine looks hot.
Things I don't like: buttons grouped at left side of the screen instead of bottom side. Unaccustomed.

The gold little icon with 0/500 is clearly one of two things.

1Great person meter.

2 A new golden age mechanic where you work up points and get one every so often(instead of always being required to burn a great person, though I bet they can still add points to that progress).

Since it is a golden circle, it gives option 2 some weight. Of course, Civ 4 always had the great person bar at the top, so it could just be a new way of representing that.

Keep in mind this is a WIP and subject to change without notice ;)

The first thing I noticed about this screenshot was that it was 4000BC...turn 1.
The second thing I noticed was that I could see all the terrain...there is no fog of war!
Ha, I didn't see that at first. Maybe it's something they turned of for testing purposes?

It would be just strange that your adviser tells you to explore while you can already see the entire map :)

How could you do this to us Firaxis, it is clear from this single piece of evidence that they have totally removed this important feature and nothing can now convince me that this game will be any good at all.
Spoiler :
:joke:

No more fog of war?!

That was an important concept in-game! While the game overall seems good, I believe this is a big mistake!

A few possible explanations:

1. The game isn't coming out for over half a year. Maybe they just haven't implemented it in yet.
2. There's supposed to be fog of war, but a bug/glitch is getting in the way of that. Hopefully, the prototyping DVD (like CIV's) would be good.
3. The game designers are intentionally leaving it out. They probably know best in their reasoning.
4. In addition to #3, it could be an option whether there is fog of war or not (Alpha Centauri had such an option).

I'm sure it could be fixed easily, as soon as I learn Python...

I like the art-deco look, although the info bar on the top looks a little plain.

Love the big Settler avatar!

I wonder if units respond to user selection in their native language like they did in Civ IV - that was a fun feature to just repeatedly select a unit to hear it talk. :)

Top Bottom