1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

CIV6 Civs and Leaders

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by AerisDraco, May 11, 2016.

1. isau

isau Deity

America, Egypt, India, and China are already in, so they are obvious picks. 14 left.

The rest assumes they don't pull a shocker, like initially leaving Spain out of Civ V.

It would be weird to have a world domination history game without France, Spain, England, or Russia. 10 left. (Altho Spain was shockingly left out of Civ V Vanilla, so maybe I am wrong here.)

Greece and Rome are more or less required for same reasons as above. 8 left.

The Civ series has always shown great preference for including the Aztecs. 7 left.

The Middle East likely will be in there somewhere. Probably 1 or 2 civs total. Arabia, Persia, and or the Ottomans, with no particular one being more likely.

Of the remaining 5, I would predict one additional South American civ (Maya or Inca), one North American civ (this is a total wildcard), one additional African civ (Mali or Ethiopia), and one east Asian civ (Korea being a likely pick). My main reason for feeling this way is the graphics engine in Civ 6 will make them want to distribute the "flavors" of each nation more or less evenly.

2. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I don't know why people automatically throw Mali in there. It was a Civ IV wildcard, like the Songhai from Civ V. I don't expect its return.

3. DeutschDachs

DeutschDachs King

I like the idea of Tecumseh. Could cover Canada for an Earth map.

Some others that could be interesting although I've said some before:
    Árpád of the Magyars/Hungary
    Clovis of the Franks
    Castro of Cuba (likely way too controversial)
    Vlad Tepes of Wallachia
    Charles IV of Bohemia
    Eva Peron of Argentina

4. j51

j51 Blue Star Cadet

It just makes the most sense to include one of the great empires of the western Sahel as your base game sub-Saharan civ (Mali, Songhai, or Ghana). The fact that they've done it in the last two iterations points to it being a new normal for them. Also, Mansa Musa is a large personality.

Frankly though, I don't think one of the above will be in the base game this time, as there are omly 18 slots, and at least 2 completely new civs. Based on the demand, I'm guessing that Kongo is our base game sub-Caharan civ. (Which: cool!) As long as Mali, Ghana, or Songhai (I prefer Mali, but that's not super important) make it into the first, or second DLC I'm happy.

5. DeutschDachs

DeutschDachs King

It was probably one of the 5 greatest empires in Africa's history. At the time of Mansa Musa it was larger than any European state. He single handedly crashed the economy of multiple cities on his pilgrimage to Mecca through his generous influx of gold into their economy. Timbuktu was one of the greatest trade centers in the world.

Songhai or Ghana are also acceptable for that region but I think it's a bit disrespectful to act like Mali had no place in Civ when it had a much larger impact on its region and those beyond than several other nations in Civ

6. Haig

Haig Deity

After about half the civs are revealed, could be nice to make a lottery thread where we put our predictions for remining civs and see who is right. :)

7. DeutschDachs

DeutschDachs King

Well Ghana would be completely new and also cool but I agree perhaps Kongo as an entirely new region for Africa would be more fun to play with at launch :)

8. Eagle Pursuit

There are lots of places in Africa that can produce fun civs. I don't imply that Mali doesn't deserve it, but if we are only getting a few from that area, there probably won't be repeated appearances.

9. j51

j51 Blue Star Cadet

Yeah, I really think based on the fact that we're only getting 18, that it's gonna be Kongo. Also, it's very popular with us fans, and I think it almost made the cut with BNW. As I said earlier, I just hope we get Mali really soon too!

I'm guessing the other new civ is gonna be a native NA. Hopefully something from the Pacific NW, or Techumseh and the Shawnee. That would be neat.

Also, what's the consensus about the guy at the beginning of the video? Is he an advisor, or a leader? It seems weird for them to expend so much effort on an advisor's animations. I'm thinking he's maybe a Persian leader. He looks kinda like Cyrus without a hat. If he is an advisor though, it would be very easy to make a quick background (hence the advantage of the new watercolour style), and instead use him as a new leader. (Cause who doesn't turn advisors off?)

Nah, Mansa Musa is one of the most important and famous figures from pre-colonial Africa. I could see them switching between Mali and Songhai and maybe Ghana every iteration. You gotta have one of those three though. Also, I think we're always gonna eventually get an Ethiopia/Axum. (I hope!) Personally, I'd love at least four sub-Saharan civs, not including the Zulu, by end cycle. I'm guessing this order: Kongo, Mali, Ethiopia/Axum, Zulu (sigh...), and one other (Nubians, Benin, Swahili, Dahomey, Asante, Zimbabwe: all awesome).

10. Eagle Pursuit

His gestures make me think he is a narrator. I bet he sets up a kind of framing narrative that ends with him pointing to the map behind him and we zoom in to see our first settler and warrior.

11. King Jason

King Jason Fleece-bearer

Nothing really shocking about that. Of the 5 games in the main series, Spain has only made it into the initial release of two of them. They're clearly not as mandatory a choice as say, Rome or America. A more accurate assessment of "necessary" civs would be to look at the ones that made it into every single game including civrev (civrev did have spain).

12. Haig

Haig Deity

Any ideas that would make good uniques for Kongo? What about a memorable leader? Not trying to diminish them, just curious about it.

Another fan favorite seems to be Sumeria, ziggurats come to mind but what about others?

13. j51

j51 Blue Star Cadet

People like to mention Queen Nzinga of Ndonga, and yeah she's awesome, but not really ruler of Kongo. But check this guy out!:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jo%C3%A3o_I_of_Kongo#/media/File:Jean_Roy_de_Congo.jpg

As for Sumer: There's the old Vulture stand-by for a unit.

14. Haig

Haig Deity

That Congo king certainly has the visual looks for the game!

15. mjs0

mjs0 The 4th X

I wonder if they are planning on a British Civ, rather than English. There really wasn't much of an empire before the Act of Union in 1707.

This would be a first for the series, without completely dropping an old favorite.

A feisty Queen Victoria would meet their requirements for an interesting leader, and it is always a little jarring to see British leaders as leaders of England.

It would also allow for perhaps a Scottish Highland Regiment UU.

16. True_Candyman

True_Candyman Emperor

This is kind of what i'm expecting. Could make the Scots mad though, so :goodjob:

17. SMcM

SMcM Emperor

Literally all I am saying is that if I spend a lot of money on a game at launch, I feel annoyed when, two years later, my version is already outdated. I don't want to miss out on playing a game at launch, but equally, it annoys me that I know I am buying something that I can get cheaper and with more content in a couple of years. I would never even consider buying all the DLCs individually; that is far too expensive. I got Civ 5 in 2010, and got the complete edition in 2015 on a steam sale that cost equivalent to the amount a single DLC civ usually would. Having brought the original game for several times that in spite of it having much less content a few years earlier just irks me. I preferred it when developers weren't able to get away with releasing hundreds of pounds of DLC; when they made sure that the game felt like a full game at release. Civ 5 at launch certainly didn't; it had a fraction of the features that Civ 4 BTS did.

Is it really so unreasonable to like getting things but not to like losing money?:confused:

Anyway, this is getting off topic:rolleyes:

18. SMcM

SMcM Emperor

19. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

Because she is interesting and from that area. (one could say she led part of the Kongo civilization... sort of like Pericles)

20. True_Candyman

True_Candyman Emperor

Female leader = accessibility to put it bluntly. Not the only reason, but having a notable female leader helps a lot these days.

As for the DLC thing, for the amount of time i spend playing these games, even with all the dlc it works out as a SUPER cheap hobby. I can't complain given how much more fleshed out Civ VI looks than V at launch and i just hope they have plenty of optional civs released as DLC this time :goodjob:

But then, I do have a job now and i've put my dirt poor student days behind me.